Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will helpful in upcoming exam.
India’s fastest train ‘Gatimaan Express’ completes final test run in record time
- Gatimaan Express, India’s first semi-high speed train service with supersonic calliber between Delhi and Agra, without any stoppages, completed a trial run, conducted by the maintenance department of Northern Railway in record time covering a distance of 195 kilometers, at a speed of 160 kph in 115 minutes.
- The train arrived 10 minutes late as the time estimated to cover the distance was 105 minutes. It has 5,400 HP electric locomotive and 12 modern coaches. It was the last trial run of Gatimaan Express, which will now be flagged off soon. The running schedule has also been decided, which would be 8 am from New Delhi and arrival at Agra would be at 9.45 am and the return trip willt start from Agra at 5.30 pm and reach Delhi at 7.15 pm.
- The fare will be 25% more than Shatabdi express. The One-way fare of the air-conditioned chair car would be Rs 690, whereas the executive class fare would be Rs 1,365.
- India ranks 59th in the rule of law index
- Six agreements to boost co-operation signed between India and Belarus
Shah Rukh Khan and Priyanka Chopra named King and Queen of Social Media
- BollywoodLife.com, a digital portal for Hindi cinema news, has declared Shah Rukh Khan and Priyanka Chopra as the king and queen of social media respectively, at the Social Media Film Awards 2015 held in New Delhi.
- An online poll was was conducted by the website in May to select the winners in 16 different categories in which more than 13 million people from India and abroad voted.
- Sonakshi Sinha won Selfie Queen while Varun Dhawan was named Selfie King, . Fitness Icon Male award went to Tiger Shroff and Fitness Icon Female to Jacqueline Fernandez .
- Best Social Media Movement of the Year, Most Witty Celeb, Craziest Fan Following, Instragrammer of the Year, and Most Motivational Celeb are among other categories.
Banking & Finance
LIC of India to operate in Bangladesh as LIC Bangladesh Ltd
- Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) has got the approval from Bangladesh’s insurance sector regulator to operate in Bangladesh. It will work under the name of LIC Bangladesh Ltd, which will be a joint venture entity with the paid-up capital of one billion taka (around $13 million ). LIC will own half of this paid-up capital while the other half will be owned by the Bangladeshi partners.
- LIC had previously applied to get itself registered in Bangladesh in 2013, which was turned down by the Bangladeshi authorities, for low capital base.
- LIC chairman S.K. Roy may accompany the Prime Minister during his Dhaka visit on June 6 and 7. Bangladesh Insurance Development and Regulatory Authority (IDRA) chief : M. Shefaq Ahmed.
Emami Limited acquired hair care brand “Kesh King”
- Emami Ltd. , a Kolkata based consumer goods company will be buying the ayurvedic hair oil brand Kesh King from SBS Biotech, a Himachal Pradesh based company. The deal stands at Rs 1,651 crore, which will be funded by a mix of surplus funds and debt.
- Emami will own the entire Kesh King’s array of products, including shampoos, conditioners, capsules and hair oil. This will be Emami’s fourth acquisition in the past year, including organic personal care company : Fravin, edible oil brand : Rasoi and sanitary napkin : She. Whereas Emami’s own portfolio includes Emami 7 Oils and the therapeutic Navratna Cool Oil.
- Emami’s Director : Harsh Agarwal, N H Bhansali : Chief Executive (Finance, Strategy and Business development), Emami.
Ravi Shastri to continue as Director of Team India for Bangladesh tour
- Ravi Shastri, former Indian captain will continue as Director of the Indian cricket team for the tour of Bangladesh starting June 10, as confirmed by the BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur. This is a temporary arrangement as the chief coach Dunkan Fletcher’s tenure had ended earlier this year after the World Cup and the board is yet to name a permanent coach for the team.
- India will play the one off Test against Bangladesh on 10 June in Fatullah, followed by three ODIs in Mirpur (June 18, 21, 24). Among others Mr. Sanjay Bangar, Assistant Coach (Batting), Mr. B. Arun, Assistant Coach (Bowling) and Mr. R. Sridhar, Assistant Coach (Fielding), will assist Mr Shastri during the tour. Mr. Biswarup Dey will be the Administrative Manager. Mr. Rishikesh Upadhayaya has been appointed as Logistics Manager for the tour.
- Ravi Shastri had served as the Team Director during the tour of Australia and the subsequent World Cup earlier this year. He had also travelled with the Indian team to Bangladesh in 2007 as cricket manager after Greg Chappell resigned from the coach’s post. He has represented India in 80 Tests and 150 ODIs for India and was part of the 1983 World Cup winning team.