To enhance bilateral co-operation between the countries, India and Belarus recently signed 6 agreements in presence of India’s President Mr Pranab Mukerjee on his visit to Belarus. President is on 2 day tour of Sweden and Belarus.
Signed agreements are as follows
- Roadmap for India-Belarus cooperation— aimed to strengthen bilateral relations and co-operation in trade,economy, culture,political, defence, people- people contacts etc.
- Protocol to amendment— To amend the agreement between the 2 nations for the Avoidance of Double Taxation and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with respect to Taxes on Income and Property(capital) of September 1997.
- MoU on cooperation in the field of Standarisation and Information Support— signed between Bureau of Indian Standards BIS and State Committee For Standardisation of Republic of Belarus.
- MoU For Manufacturing and Marketing of Light industry Goods— signed between Union Ministry of Textiles of India and Belarusian State.
- MoU for cooperation on Broadcasting— signed between Prasar Bharati PB and National State Television and Radio company of the Republic of Belarus( Belteleradiocompany)
- MoU on bilateral cooperation between Securities and Exchange Board of India SEBI and Ministry of Finance of Belarus
Country of Belarus– some details
- Belarus is a country in Eastern Europe bordered by Russia to northeast, Ukraine to the south,Poland to the west, Lithuania and Latvia in northwest.
- Capital is Minsk.
- Official languages spoken are Russian spoken by 72% of population and Belarusian language spoken by 11.9% of population. Polish, Ukranian are also spoken to some extent by the minorities.
- Alexander Lukashenko is the President of Belarus.
- Ethnic Belarusian forms more than 80% of population followed by Roman Catholics.