To address malnutrition in women and children,world’s largest digital mass education programme, IAP HealthPhone programme, was launched by the Union government. Menaka Gandhi, Union Minister of Women and child development,launched this programme in New Delhi recently.
- This programme is an initiative of Indian Academy of Paediatrics IAP in partnership with UNICEF,Union
- Ministry of Women and Child Development WCD.
- This programme is supported by Vodafone India .
- Bollywood hero Aamir Khan is the brand ambassador for this programme.
IAP Healthphone programme– some facts
- The main objective of this programme is to tackle malnutrition in women and in children.
- By means of mobile phones,this IAP Healthphone initiative seeks to educate women and girls around 6 million of ages 13 to 35 on better health and nutrition practices by the year 2018.
- Promotion and distribution of four re-edited videos from Poshan [nutritional videos] series in 18 languages, jointly produced by UINICEF and WCD.
Issues featured in the videos
- Status of women, care of pregnant women and children.
- Spreading the awareness and importance of balanced diet.
- To increase the nutritional levels, the health and simple changes in the nutritional care practices is also touched upon in the videos.
Part played by Vodafone India— will help the customers in viewing or downloading the videos free of cost.More over Vodafone India would also provide an incentive talk time of Rs 10 for viewing the videos .
- 300 million text messages on the awareness would be sent to its customers every year to promote the viewing of the four videos .
- A comprehensive communication campaign to promote the programme across the country through social media and print would also be taken up by Vodafone India.
The three- year intensive awareness campaign under IAP Healthphone programme would benefit to improve 60 million children born by year 2025 in India apart from playing a major role in India’s fight against malnutrition.