Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will helpful to Score More Marks. :)
India sets two Guinness world records on International Yoga Day
- The first ever International Yoga Day celebration in New Delhi broke two world records.
- The event at Rajpath broke the record for the largest number of participants with 35,985 people.
- The second record was the largest number of nationalities, 84 in number, in a yoga event.
Commemorations of the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo held in Belgium
- A huge re-enactment of the Battle of Waterloo took place in the same Belgian fields where Napoleon’s army was defeated.
- The volunteers dressed as soldiers, with 300 horses and 100 cannon, carefully re-enacted the battle for a crowd of 60,000 spectators.
Battle of Waterloo
The battle was fought on 18 June 1815 (Sunday) near Waterloo i.e. in present-day Belgium, then part of the United Kingdom of the Netherlands. A French army under Napolean was defeated by the armies of the Seventh Coalition. After this Napoleon was exiled to the island of Saint Helena in the South Atlantic Ocean, where he died in 1821.
Philippines begins naval drills with US, Japan amid China sea row
- The Philippines began naval exercises with the United States and Japan, amid shared and growing concern at Chinese island-building in the disputed South China Sea.
- Philippines has been holding naval exercises with US since 1995 but this was its second exercise with Japan.
UK NRI philanthropist chosen for VK Krishna Menon Award
- Benni Joseph Mavelil has been chosen for the VK Krishna Menon award in recognition of his outstanding professional and selfless achievements, contributions and services to the community and wider multicultural society.
- He is a UK-based philanthropist.
- The V K Krishna Menon award is given to outstanding Indian patriots who have served in the Diaspora and made themselves distinguished in fields like science, literature, business, politics, diplomacy and philanthropy.
Acquisitions & Mergers
Hello Curry acquires tech start up firm Fire42
- Food delivery firm Hello Curry has acquired startup Fire42.
- Fire42 has developed a cloud and mobile based POS system that provides management and analytic tools, marketing tools and operational tools for restaurants.
- The Hyderabad-based Hello Curry which was launched in 2014 recently expanded to Bengaluru and looking forward to go to other cities.
Banking & Finance
Science & Technology
HAL delivers Orbiter Craft Module Structure of Chandrayaan-2 to ISRO
- Defence PSU Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has delivered ‘Orbiter Craft Module Structure’ of Chandrayaan-2, India’s second lunar exploration mission, to ISRO Satellite Centre
- The Orbiter Craft Module is a three-tonne category bus structure made out of a central composite cylinder, shear webs and deck panels
- Chandrayaan-2 will be launched by a Geo-Stationary Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV-MKII) during the next two to three years.
Serbia won 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup by defeating Brazil 2-1
- Serbia defeated Brazil by 2-1 in extra time in the final of U20 World Cup final. Nemanja Maksimovic scored a 118th minute goal to end the match in a winning note for his team.
China won 2015 Nongfu Spring World Cup of Snooker
- China’s Zhou Yuelong and Yan Bingtao won the Nongfu Spring World Cup of snooker by beating Scotland 4-1 in the final in Wuxi, China. This is the second consecutive time China has won the event.
India slip one place to 4th spot in Test ranking
- India have slipped to 4th spot in ICC Test rankings after a draw against Bangladesh. Before the match India shared 3rd spot with New Zealand on 99 points. Now India have 97 points and sharing the same spot with England and Pakistan also having 97 points each.