- Founded in 1928 as an outcome of the music conference that was held in conjunction with the All India Congress Session in Madras city the previous year, it was conceived to be the institution that would set the standard for Carnatic music.
Sangita Kalanidhi Award:
- Sangeetha Kalanidhi or Sangita Kalanidhi is the title awarded yearly to an expert Carnatic Musician by the Madras Music Academy from 1929. This honour is considered one of the highest awards in Carnatic music.
- The award comprises of a Gold medal and a ‘birudu patra’.Not only singers, but instrumentalists of Carnatic music also receive the award.
- The Music Academy meeting held at 21st june,2015 at Chennai,the Executive Committee of the Music Academy has chosen the outstanding & acclaimed Carnatic musician Shri Sanjay Subrahmanyan for the prestigious award “SANGITA KALANIDHI” .
- He will be conferred the “SANGITA KALANIDHI” award at the 89th annual conference of the Music Academy-“SADAS” on 1st January 2016.
- The committee also decided to confer the following awards.
1.Sangita Kala Acharya
Smt.Mysore G.N.Nagamani Srinath(Vocalist).
Shri T.H.Subash Chandran(Percussion).
Pappa Venkataramiah Award-Shri.M.S.Mani.
4.Dance-Natya Kala Acharya Award: