Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will helpful to Score More Marks. :)
Jharkhand Government bans sale of thermocol plates
- Chief Minister of Jharkhand Raghuvar Das today imposed a ban on the sale of thermocol plates with the move aimed at the promotion of leaf plates in the state.
- This will help in generating employment for the poor and tribal who are engaged in making leaf plates.
Punjab celebrates 350th years of foundation of Sri Anandpur Sahib
- Punjab is celebrating the 350th years of foundation of Sri Anandpur Sahib which was founded by the Ninth Guru Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji in 1665.
- This city is the birth place of Khalsa. To mark the occasion whole town has been painted white.
Print edition of Wikipedia to sell for USD 500,000
- A New York Artist Michael Mandiberg is creating a print edition of Wikipedia in 7,600 volumes and is priced at $500,000.
- Michael Mandiberg has written software that analyses the entirety of the English-language Wikipedia database and programmatically lays out 7,600 volumes, complete with covers, and then uploads them to print-on-demand site Lulu.com.
Nagendra Kumar Saxena appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to the Independent State of Papua New Guinea
- Nagendra Kumar Saxena (lFS: 1982) presently Joint Secretary has been appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to the Independent State of Papua New Guinea.
- He is expected to take up his assignment shortly.
Nikesh Arora appointed SoftBank President
- Nikesh Arora has been appointed the president of Japan’s telecommunications giant SoftBank Corp. He was former Google executive whom Softbank paid USD 135 million for the financial year 2014.
- Mr. Arora was appointed company president and chief operating officer
Swathi Puraskar given to Ustad Amjad Ali Khan
- Ustad Amjad Ali Khan has been awarded this year’s Swathi Puraskar, to for his outstanding contribution to Indian music. This is Kerala Government’s highest honour for music.
Former hockey skipper Shashi Bala dies
- Former Indian women hockey skipper Shashi Bala and her son died in a road accident in Punjab.
- Bala made her international debut in 1987 and was a part of the national team in the 1998 FIH Women World Cup in the Netherlands.
- She captained Indian during the 1997 FIH Women World Cup qualifier held in Harare, Zimbabwe
Books & Authors
Vice President Presented with a Book ‘Bikhare Khyalat’ Based on Iqbal’s Writings
- The Vice President of India Shri M. Hamid Ansari was presented with a book entitled “Bikhare Khyalat” by Prof. Abdul Haq.
- The book is the Urdu Translation of Mohammed Iqbal’s writing in English tilted ‘Stray Reflections’. The Vice President congratulated Prof. Haq for his valuable contribution.
- This book contains old jottings based on Iqbal’s impressions of the books he was reading at that time, his thoughts and feelings about the environment in which he lived, and reminiscences of his student days.
Vice President Releases the Book ‘K.G. Saiyidain – A Life in Education’
- The Vice President of India Shri M. Hamid Ansari released a book entitled “K.G. Saiyidain – A Life in Education” edited by Ms. Zakia Saiyidain Zaheer and Dr. Syeda Saiyidain Hameed at a function.
Vice President Receives the Book on ‘Prime Minister Modi’ in Chinese by Shri Tarun Vijay, MP
- The Vice President of India Shri M. Hamid Ansari received a book entitled ‘Modi – Incredible emergence of a star” in Chinese language written by Shri Tarun Vijay, Member of Parliament (Rajya Sabha).
- Dr Lokesh Chandra, President of ICCR and Prof. S.K.Sopory, Vice Chancellor of JNU and Mrs Vandana Bisht Vijay, author’s wife were present on this occasion.
- The book is based on the life and economic vision of the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi. It has been published in Chinese language by Sichuan University’s South Asia Study Centre.