For Japan’s most coveted prize Fukuoka Prize in academics category, India’s famous Historian Ramachandra Guha has been selected. Others who got this prize are Thant Myint-U(Grand Prize) and Minh Hanh ( Arts and Culture). This Fukuoka Prize honors persons who had made outstanding contributions in the fields of arts and culture,academics in Asia.
- According to Guha’s citation, he as a famous Indian Historian pioneered the new horizon of environmental history.
- His works involve explanations of complex history of India, country with diversity of languages, religions, castes etc.
- Guha’s writings also clearly explains the state of Indian Democratic system dwelling on the current multi-dimensional and chaotic world.
- Being a great writer of Indian History, Ramachandra Guha deserved to be presented with this Japans prestigious prize.
- The award would be presented to him at the Fukuoka International Congress Centre.
- Guha would also be delivering lecture on” Mahatma Gandhi, India and the World” .
- Mohammad Yunus, Romila Thapar, Ashish Nandy and Mo Yan are the previous winners of this prize.
About Ramachandra Guha
- Ramachandra Guha was born on 29th April 1958 in Uttar Pradesh.
- He is Alma mater of University of Delhi IIM Calcutta etc
- He is a historian and writer with interests in cricket and also in social, political histories.
- He is a columnists in Hindustan Times,The Telegraph and writes for magazines like The Caravan and Outlook etc
Bibliographies of Guha—
- India Before Gandhi 2013,Patriots and Partisans 2012, Makers of Modern India 2010, India after Gandhi 2007 etc.
- He was awarded Padma Bhushan in the year 2009 and famous Sahitya Akademi Award in 2011 for India After Gandhi.
- Served as Philippe Roman Chair of International Affairs and History at the famous London School of Economics
Fukuoka Prize– what is it??
- Its an annual prize given to person or organisation for their outstanding contributions to preserving or creating Asian culture.
- Established in 1990 by the Japanese city of Fukuoka and Yokatopia.
- Arts and Culture Prize, Grand Prize and Academic Prize form the 3 different categories of prizes.
- Held every year in September along with the public forums by the prize winners.