Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will helpful in upcoming exam.
Coal India now sixth- largest mining company in world
- Coal India Limited has become world’s sixth largest mining company in terms of market capital according to recent PwC report.
- Earlier, CIL was at 8th spot among top 40 global mining firms.
- Another government company, National Mineral Development Corporation Ltd is at 21st spot in the list. NMDC is the country’s top iron ore miner.
Robin soars as Britain’s choice of national bird
- The red chested bird, Robin, has been selected as Britain’s National Bird.
- In an online voting, Robin emerged as winner with 34% votes among 60 birds of the list.
International Criminal Court asks South Africa to arrest Sudan president
- The International Criminal Court has asked South Africa to arrest Sudan’s President Omar al-Bashir. Sudan’s President is in South Africa for a summit of African Union.
- Bashir is wanted over alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity committed during the Darfur conflict in 2003.
V K Singh inaugurates first India-China Yoga College at Yunnan Minzu University, China
- Minister of State (MoS) for External Affairs V K Singh inaugurated first India-China Yoga College at Yunnan Minzu University in Kunming, China.
- This is first Indian government institution related Indian spiritual art form i.e. Yoga in China inaugurated ahead of the first UN Yoga Day to be observed on June 21.
- The Yoga College was established in lines with the MoU for establishing the Yoga College signed during the Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to China in May 2015.
Banking & Finace
Science & Technology
China confirms test of new hypersonic strike vehicle ‘Wu-14’
- The Chinese Defense Ministry confirmed the fourth test of a hypersonic nuclear delivery vehicle, which the US called an “extreme maneuver,” amid rising tensions between the two powers in the South China Sea.
- The test of the hypersonic glide vehicle, which the US has dubbed the “WU-14”, was carried out on June 7 and is the missile’s fourth test in 18 months.
- The strategic strike weapon is extremely advanced and can travel at 10 times the speed of sound, or 12,231.01kph.
- Note: PTI, Times,NDTV release the news has supersonic Vehicle, its wrong !!
ITF women’s tennis: Sowjanya wins doubles in China
- Sowjanya Bavisetti, in partnership with Ai Wen Zhu of China, won the doubles title with a 7-6(8), 0-6, 10-7 victory over Ao Gai and Yuqi Sheng of China in the final of the $10,000 ITF women’s tennis tournament in Anning, China.
Harbhajan becomes 9th highest wicket-takers in tests
- Harbhajan Singh reached another milestone by becoming 9th highest wicket-taker in Test matches. The Indian off-spinner surpassed Pakistan’s Wasim Akram to reach this landmark.
- The “Turbantor” took 3 wickets for 64 runs in the test against Bangladesh which ended in a draw. Harbhajan has now claimed 416 wickets in 102 Test matches.
India Bangladesh Test match ends in a Draw
- The only test between India and Bangladesh ended in a draw. This match was interrupted by rain on all five days and more than 250 overs of game was lost.
- In reply to India’s 426/6 in first innings Bangladesh managed only 256 all out and couldn’t avoid follow-on. In their second innings they managed to score 23/0 in 15 overs.
- Ashwin with figures 5/87 was the most successful bowler for India.
Veteran Congress leader Sheila Kaul no more
- Shela Kaul, a former Union Minister, a sister-in-law of Jawaharlal Nehru and oldest surviving Parliamentarian has died. She was 101 years old.