Udhampur district of Jammu & Kashmir (J&K) UT bagged the top position at National level for successful implementation of Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) during FY 2020-21. It has constructed roads of length 560.49 km during the FY 2020-21.
- Chhattisgarh bagged the first place among all states/UT for developing the highest road length under PMGSY. It was followed by Uttarakhand and J&K.
- Apart from Udhampur, four other districts of J&K namely Rajouri, Doda, Kathua and Reasi districts figured in the list of PMGSY top performing 30 districts in India.
Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY)
- It was launched on 25th December, 2000 by the then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- Objective – To provide all-weather road connectivity to unconnected villages of India.
- Implementation – Ministry of Rural Development & State Governments.
- It will provide rural connectivity to eligible unconnected habitations of designated population size (500+ in plain areas & 250+ in NE States, Himalayan States, Deserts and Tribal Areas)
- Phase-I was Launched in 2000 & Phase-II was launched in 2013 & Phase III was launched in 2019.
Duration of Phase-III is 2019-20 to 2024-25
- It is proposed to consolidate 1, 25, 000 Km road length in the states.
- Funds would be shared in the ratio of 60:40 between Centre and State for all States except for 8 North Eastern and 3 Himalayan States (Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh & Uttarakhand) for which it is 90:10.
Recent Related News:
i.October 23, 2020, The Union Ministry of Rural Development declared the list of top performing 30 districts in the country for implementing the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) programme.Mandi district of Himachal Pradesh won the top position among 30 districts of India.
About Ministry of Rural Development:
Union Minister – Narendra Singh Tomar (Lok Sabha MP from Morena, Madhya Pradesh)
Minister of State – Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti (Lok Sabha MP from Fatehpur, Uttar Pradesh)