National Teachers’ Day is annually observed across India on 5th September to commemorate the birth anniversary of Bharat Ratna Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, who served as the First Vice President and the 2nd President of Independent India.
He was born on 5th September 1888 in Tiruttani, Madras Presidency(Now Tamil Nadu), British India.
- The day provides a platform to recognise and honour the contribution of teachers to society.
- 5th September 2022 marks the observance of the 50th National Teachers’ Day.
Teachers’ Day was first observed on 5th September 1962, the 77th birthday of Dr S Radhakrishnan, to celebrate his work and his drive for education.
About Dr S Radhakrishnan:
i.Dr Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan was an Indian philosopher and politician who served as the first vice president of India from 1952 to 1962 and later served as the 2nd President of India from 1962 to 1967.
ii.In 1931 he was knighted by King George V for his service to education. He ceased to use the title “sir” after Indian Independence.
iii.The government of India honoured him with Bharat Ratna, the highest civilian award in India, in 1954.
National Awards to Teachers 2022:
On the Occasions of the National Teachers Day 2022(5th September 2022), Droupadi Murmu, President of India, felicitated the awardees with the National Awards to Teachers(NAT) 2022 at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi, Delhi.
- For 2022, 45 teachers from across India have been selected through a rigorous and transparent online three-stage process.
- The National-level function was organised by the Department of School Education and Literacy, Ministry of Education.
Click here for the complete list of winners of NAT 2022
About National Teachers Award:
Purpose: To celebrate and honour the unique contribution of some of the finest teachers in India.
Each award carries a certificate of merit, a cash award of Rs 50,000 and a silver medal.
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi interacted with the winners of the National Awards to Teachers, 2022 at the event organised at 7 Lok Kalyan Marg, New Delhi, Delhi.
Shikshak Parv 2022 – September 5 to 9:
i.The All India Council for Technical Education(AICTE), under the Ministry of Education, promotes the celebration of Shikshak Parv to acknowledge the dignity of the teaching profession and the contributions of teachers in nurturing the young minds of the nation.
ii.The AICTE has requested to organise several events and activities between 5th to 9th September 2022 to commemorate Shikshak Parv 2022.
Shiksha Parv National Webinars 2022:
- 5th Sept- Role of Teachers in inculcating Human Values
- 6th Sept- Role of Teachers in promoting Indian languages in Higher Education.
- 7th Sept- Role of Teachers in promoting Indian Knowledge System.
- 8th Sept- Role of Teachers in developing innovation and entrepreneurship ecosystem.
- 9th Sept-Role of Teachers in high tech such as AI ML AVGC ARVR, Metaverse etc in the teaching-learning process.