On May 29,2020, Ministry of Jal Shakti, a ministry under Government of India (GoI) has approved an amount of Rs 445 crore for the implementation of the Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM) in Chhattisgarh during 2020-21.
Chhattisgarh’s plan under the mission:
- Under this mission that will bring change in life, Chhattisgarh state has planned 100 % Functional Household Tap Connection (FHTC) by 2023-24.
- Out of 45 lakh households in the state, there are plans to provide tap connections in 20 lakh houses, where the priority is being given to water scarcity areas, quality affected areas, SC / ST (Scheduled Castes/ Scheduled Tribes) dominated settlements / villages, ambitious districts, Sansad Adarsh Gramin Yojana villages.
What is the need?
–Chhattisgarh has been grappling with the problem of chemical contamination of arsenic, fluoride, iron, etc. in the rapidly depleting groundwater for many years; Therefore, taking cognizance of the situation, the state was advised to ensure potable water arrangements in these settlements.
How the mission will be implemented in the state?
- Under the Mission, emphasis is being laid on monitoring the water quality through involvement of the community as well as active participation of frontline workers.
- School and college students are being encouraged to use field test kits to test the quality of water being provided in rural areas.
- For planning at the village level, in each gram panchayat (GPs) or their sub-committee i.e. village water and sanitation committees have been formed & the action plans have been run for the villages, based on which the action plan has been finalized.
About Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM):
In August 2019, the JJM was launched to provide potable water through Functional Household Tap Connection (FHTC) with an outlay of Rs 3.60 lakh crores.
Also, aims at providing potable water at a service level of 55 litres per capita per day (lpcd) to every rural household through FHTC. The main objective of the Mission is to provide a piped water supply (Har Ghar Jal) to all rural and urban households by 2024.
About Ministry of Jal Shakthi:
Headquarters– New Delhi.
Union Minister– Gajendra Singh Shekhawat (Constituency- Jodhpur, Rajasthan).
Chief minister– Bhupesh Baghel
Governor– Anusuiya Uikey