Foreign Direct Investment flows into India nearly doubled in 2015 as per the annual report of the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), while the US emerged as the top host country for FDI last year.
The term FDI stand for foreign direct investment, FDI means an investment made by a company or entity based in one country, into a company or entity based in another country.
Benefits of FDI
- Improves forex (foreign Exchange) position of the country
- Employment generation and increase in production
- Help in capital formation by bringing fresh capital
- Helps in transfer of new technologies, management skills, intellectual property
- Increases competition within the local market and this brings higher efficiencies
- Helps in increasing exports
- Increases tax revenues.
Top 10 FDI Host Economies of the World
|US||Barack Obama||Washington, D.C.||United States dollar|
|Hong Kong||——–||Victoria||Hong Kong dollar|
|the UK||David Cameron||London||British Pound|
|Singapore||Lee Hsien Loong||—-||Singapore dollar|
|India||Narinder Modi||New Delhi||rupee|
|Brazil||Dilma Rousseff||Brasília||Brazilian real|
|Canada||Justin Trudeau||Ottawa||Canadian dollar|
|France||Manuel Valls||Paris||Euro, CFP franc|