Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
Literacy rate 71 percent in rural areas, 86 percent in urban areas: NSSO survey
- According to NSSO survey, the literacy rate in rural areas is 71% while it is 86% in urban areas.
- Among the age group of seven years and above, male literacy rate was 83% while the female literacy rate was 67%.
- The survey conducted by National Sample Survey Office (NSSO) covered entire country with samples taken from 36,479 households in rural areas and 29,447 in urban areas from 4,577 villages and 3,720 urban blocks.
Mobile portability number from July 3
- In a great news for mobile phone users in the country, DoT (Department of Telecommunications) has decided to implement nationwide mobile number portability from July 3.
- Presently, MNP has been partially implemented, it allows subscribers to change mobile network while retaining their number in the same telecom circle. This has also led to an inflated mobile subscriber base in the country, as a person is forced to get a new number when they relocate.
- From July 3, the full MNP will allow subscribers to retain their mobile number in any part of the country even when they change their operator or state.
- Union Minister for Telecommunications: Ravi Shankar Prasad
Automatic refund if trail cancels
- Soon, passengers who book their railway tickets online will get automatic refund if their train gets cancelled. Already waitlisted e-tickets gets cancelled and passengers get refunded automatically.
- There shall not be any requirement for cancellation/filing of ticket deposit receipt (TDR) for refund of e-tickets in case of cancellation of trains.
- For those who book tickets at the passenger reservation system (PRS) counters shall continue to be refunded across the reservation counter as per the existing provisions.
- Presently the systems needed for this facility are under upgradation.
- Indian FM Sushma Swaraj’s visit to Thailand; Many agreements signed
- Greece Crisis & IMF issue recent in News
116 die as plane crashes in Sumatra, Indonesia
- An Indonesian military aeroplane, C-130 Hercules transporter has crashed in to the side of a building, minutes after taking off from an air force base in Sumatra, killing more than 116 people.
- The crash killed all passengers on the plane (most of them are family members of servicemen and women) and at least three people on the ground.
- Just 6 months ago, an AirAsia plane crashed into the Java Sea in Indonesia, killing all 162 people on board. The crashed C-130 Hercules was 51 years old.
Ratan Tata buys stake in Ola
- Ratan Tata has bought a stake in online taxi-hiring firm Ola.
- Ratan Tata had previously invested in start-ups like Snapdeal and Xiaomi.
- Ola was founded in January 2011 by IIT Bombay alumni Aggarwal and Ankit Bhati. It is operating in over a 100 cities across India with 1.5 lakh vehicles registered on its platform.
IDFC appoints former CAG Vinod Rai as independent director
- Infrastructure Development Finance Company Ltd (IDFC) has appointed former CAG Vinod Rai as independent director.
- Vinod Rai was director on several boards including the State Bank of India, ICICI Bank, IDBI Bank and Life Insurance Corporation of India.
- He was instrumental in setting up the IDFC and was also on the board of that company.
Housing.com fires CEO Rahul Yadav
- Rahul Yadav, CEO and co-founder of Housing.com has been fired by the company’s board.
- He was removed with reference to his behaviour towards investors, ecosystem and the media, company said in a statement.
- He was sacked because of the alleged leaking of information about Quicker hiring Housing.com to the media.
RIL to invest Rs. 2.5 lakh crore in digital space: Ambani
- Reliance Industries will invest over Rs. 250,000 crore in the digital space, including rollout of wireless broadband infrastructure and manufacturing of mobile handsets.
- Mukesh Ambani, chairman of Reliance Industries said Reliance will invest over Rs. 250,000 crore across the Digital India pillars and the firm’s investments in digital space will create employment for over 5 lakh people.
Reliance Group to invest Rs 10k cr in tech space: Anil Ambani
- Anil Ambani’s Reliance Group will invest about Rs 10,000 crore over the next few years to expand its presence across digital, cloud computing and telecom space.
- The company plans to achieve full deployment of next generation content and Cloud Delivery Network by the end of the year.
Science & Technology
Messi sparkles as Argentina thrash Paraguay
- Argentina’s star footballer Lionel Messi produced an outstanding performance to thrash Paraguay by 6-1 in the second semi-final of Copa America.
- The Barcelona superstar mercilessly tore apart Paraguay and reached finals to face Chile on Saturday.
Abhijeet Gupta wins 19th Commonwealth Chess Championship
- Abhijeet Gupta, grandmaster and former world junior champion has won the 19th Commonwealth Chess Championship.
- He won seven games against Arghyadip Das and was able to draw last two games.