Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
- Try our Current Affairs Quiz 2016
- Try Our Current Affairs April 2016 Quiz
- Read our Current Affairs Today
- Read Our Current Affairs 2016
In the delegation-level bilateral talks led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and visiting Maldivian President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom both sides signed 6 agreements in the fields of defence, tourism, taxation, space research, and conservation of mosques.
Jharkhand Government announced to reserve 2 percent employment for meritorious sports persons
Jharkhand Chief Minister Ragbubar Das announced that the government would reserve two per cent employment in various departments for meritorious sports persons of the state.
- Currently two per cent job quota for medal-winning sports persons is there only in state police department.Now it will be applicable in all departments.
Announcements by the State Government:
- The government will set up a lotus Club in each panchayat, block and district level of the state to promote talented sportspersons.
- A residential football training centre will be set up in a month’s time in Kharswan while the fourth Archery training centre to be set up at Kumardungi High School.
- The government has plans to open such archery centres at Chandanquari and Bokaro.
First transgender person in Tamil Nadu to contest in the assembly elections.
Salam hailed Devi is the first transgender person in Tamil Nadu to contest the assembly elections. She will be contesting on behalf of the Tamil party, NaamTamilarKatchi.
- She transgender person all set to face AIADMK chiefJayalalithaa in the RK Nagar constituency in Chennai.
- Tamil Nadu will go to assembly polls in a single phase on May 16, and the result will be declared on May 1
First Transgender in India:
- Devi hails from Salem and has worked with various NGOs from 2004, focusing on the empowerment of sex workers and transgender people.
- The K PrithikaYasini was also from the same city who became the first trans-woman sub-inspector in Tamil Nadu and was probably the first transgender sub-inspector in India
CCRH has signed two MOUs with Canada and Armenia during two day International Convention on WHD
Central Council for Research in homoeopathy (CCRH) has signed two MOUs with institutions of higher education of Canada and Armenia.
- These MOUs between CCRH and College of Homeopaths of Ontario, Canada and another between CCRH and Yerevan State Medical University, Armenia, were signed during two day International Convention on World Homoeopathy Day organized at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi.
- During the event, there were several presentations on clinical research including latest research updates, and role of Homoeopathy in malaria, dengue, natural disasters, brain injuries, chronic ear infection, sciatica etc.,
Pakistan, China launch joint air force training exercise Shaheen 5
China’s air force to launch joint training exercises with Pakistan, the fifth such edition between the two countries.Shaheen-5 will take place from April 9 to 30 this year.
- These exercises and exchanges between Chinese and Pakistani air forces in recent years had effectively deepened cooperation between both the sides.
Shaheen- (Eagle) Exercise:
- The first such edition was held in Pakistan in 2011, the second in China’s western Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region in September 2013 and the third was held in Punjab, Pakistan, in 2014.
Polaris Ties up with Snapdeal to sell ATVs
Off-road vehicle manufacturer Polaris has tied up with the popular e-commerce website Snapdeal to sell its ATV (All Terrain Vehicles).
- The online retailer website has listed 18 models of the off-road vehicles, ranging from Outlaw 50 at Rs. 2.86 lakh to RZR XP Turbo at Rs. 28 lakh.
- Customers who wish to place an order just need to head over to the Polaris section at Snapdeal and pay a Rs. 3,000 non-refundable booking amount and can book the Polaris of their choice.
Snapdeal CEO – Kunal Bahl
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Azerbaijani journalist Khadija Ismayilova awarded with UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize 2016. The Prize will be awarded during the celebration of World Press FreedomDay on 3rd May 2016 hosted by Finland.
- She has been recommended Ismayilova in recognition of her outstanding contribution to press freedom in difficult circumstances. The prize is awarded on the recommendation of an independent jury of 12 news
Actress Priyanka Chopra will be bestowed with Dadasaheb Phalke Film Foundation’s Best Actress of the Year Award.The ceremony will be held on the 147th Dadasaheb Phalke Jayantiin Mumbai on April 24.
- This will be the second award from the Foundation after she received her first one forMost Memorable Performance in 2011 for her role in Vishal Bhardwaj’s
Varanasi Kathak dancer breaks world record
Soni Chaurasiya a Kathak dancer from Varanasi has broken the world record of longest dance performance by continuously dancing for 123 hours and 30 minutes.
- She broke the record on 9th April at 9.21 pm at Mount Litera Zee School, Varanasi. With her performance, she broke the previous record of HemlataKundalu of Trichur, Kerala, who performed Mohiniattam continuously for 123 hours and 20 mins.
- Soni began her performance on April 4 at 6 pm on a school in Varanasi. While no official from the Guinness World Records attended the performance.
- Kathak is one of the most important classical dances of India. The wordis derived from the word katha, meaning the art of storytelling.
- These dances are performed straight-legged and the ankle bells worn by the dancers are skillfully controlled
IIT-Kharagpur wins top award for patents
IIT-Kharagpur has won an award the National Intellectual Property (IP) Award in the academic institutes’ category.
- The National IP Award carries an amount of Rs 1,00,000, a citation and a memento.
- The award will be given on April 26 in Delhi by Union minister Nirmala Sitharaman at a function jointly organized for the celebration of World IP Day by the Indian Intellectual Property office.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Ex-Chhattisgarh HC Judge N K Agarwal likely to be next Haryana’s new Lokayukta
Former Chief Justice of the Chhattisgarh High Court NK Aggarwal will be Haryana’s next Lokayukta. He succeeds Justice Pritam Pal .
- NK Aggarwal was recommended by a committee and has been approved by Governor Kaptan Singh Solanki.
- Haryana state was formed on 1November 1966.
- Haryana was the home of the legendary Bharata dynasty
Premier Futsal ropes in Virat Kohli as brand ambassador
Premier Futsal has roped in Virat Kohli as the league’s brand ambassador. The world’s first multi-national team-based Futsal league is set to take place in India from July 15th – 24th with each game split into two halves of 20 minutes each.
About Premier Futsal
Participants: 50 International Futsalers from four Continents and 21 countries
- Futsal league was launched in Mumbai last week in the presence of the founding team and FAI representative
- The league, governed by the Futsal Association of India (FAI) with accreditation from international governing body, Asociacion Mundial de Futsal (AMF)
Premier Futsal Chairman: Xavier Britto
Ukraine Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk resigns
The Ukrainian Prime Minister, Arseniy Yatsenyuk announced his resignation two months after he survived a no-confidence vote in parliament.
About Arseniy Yatsenyuk:
- Arseniy Yatsenyuk, 15th Prime Minister of Ukraine is a lawyer and economist.
- Yatsenyuk served in the government of Ukraine as Minister of Economy from 2005 to 2006.
- Hee was also served as Foreign Minister of Ukraine in 2007 and Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada (parliament) from 2007 to 2008
Ukraine President – Petro Poroshenko
Endangered bird spoon-billed sandpiper spotted in China
A spoon-billed sandpiper was spotted in tropical island of China’s Hainan area this week, the third time the bird has been seen.
- Spoon-billed sandpipers migrate to wetlands in Southeast Asia every spring and autumn, and during the course they make stops in China’s Jiangsu.
- There are fewer than 200 spoon-billed sandpipers living in the wild due to environmental degradation Spoon-billed sandpipers are listed as critically endangered by the International Union for Conservation of Nature.
- The elimination of migratory stopover habitat, particularly in the Yellow Sea region, and subsistence hunting on the wintering groundsare reasons cited for the Spoon-billed Sandpipers population decline.
- In 2009 the first time it was spotted on the island.
In the Seventh Edition of Malaysian Open Badminton Lee Chong Wei dismantled world No.1 shuttler Chen Long of China in straight games to win his 11th Malaysia Open
- Lee cruised to victory with a flurry of devastating smashes against world number one Chen Long from China, beating him 21-13, 21-8 in a match that lasted 42 minutes.
Danny Willett, first Briton to win US Masters golf 2016
Danny Willett has won the Masters at Augusta National to become the first Briton to claim US Master’s title under his belt which is to become the first British victory in 20 years.
- He won with a superb five-under-par 67 as 2015 champion Jordan Spieth crumbled during a final round.
- He is one of the golf’s rising stars, having climbed from outside the top 100 to inside the top 10 in less than two years.
- He bagged the 2007 English Amateur Championship and in early 2008 became the world’s top-ranked amateur.
- Danny turned professional in 2008 and clinched his first European Tour victory at the 2012 BMW International Open in Germany.
- He had two European Tour in the 2015 season and made his Masters debut where he finished tied 38th.
Former Union MoS Dr C Silvera passes away
Former Union Minister of Mizoram C Silvera died at 81.He was the only leader from Mizoram to be in the union council of ministers.
About Dr C Silvera :
Silvera was born on May 6, 1935 .He worked as medical officer under the Baptist Church of Mizoram before joining politics.
- He was elected to Rajya Sabha in 1985 and to ninth, tenth and eleventh Lok Sabha.
- He was inducted as union minister of state for health and family welfare on February 17, 1994 and afterwards was allotted industry portfolio.
National Safe motherhood day
National Safe motherhood day is celebrated every year on 11th April across India to mark Kasturba Gandhi’s birth anniversary. It was launched by the White Ribbon Alliance (WRA).
Aim:To enforce that women must have the availability and adequate access to care during pregnancy, childbirth and postnatal services
- UNICEF in partnership with the World Health Organisation (WHO) and the Health Fitness Trust organised an ‘Awareness Run’ also in Delhi for school children on issues relating to safe motherhood.
- The current national Infant Morality Rate is 37