AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs May 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs May 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs April 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- Name the Scheme, which is set to be reinforced by the CSC (Common Services Centre) e-Governance Services India Limited along with Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)Kanpur.
1) Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana
2) Pradhan Mantri Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana
3) Unnat Bharat Abhiyan
4) Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY)
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Unnat Bharat Abhiyan
A Special Purpose Vehicle under the Ministry of Electronics & IT, (Information Technology) CSC (Common Services Centre) e-Governance Services India Limited, has partnered with the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)Kanpur to upscale ‘Unnat Bharat Abhiyan’. ‘Unnat Bharat Abhiyan project’ is being led by Dr. Reeta Singh, from IIT Kanpur.‘ Unnat Bharat Abhiyan’ is the programme of the HRD (Human Resource Development) Ministry which is working towards achieving solutions for increasing sustainable growth in rural India.IIT-Kanpur has brought together 15 leading higher education institutions from UP (Uttar Pradesh) to work together with CSC, under this policy, for the villages’ development.Through CSC, they will adopt gram panchayats and equip themselves with citizen-centric services. IIT Kanpur has adopted 5 villages for its holistic development. The villages are situated on the outskirts of Kanpur and are as follows: Hridayapur, Baikanthpur, Ishwariganj, Pratappur Hari and Saxupurva.
- Which bank has launched the 5$ billion Action Plan for Healthy Oceans and Sustainable Blue Economies for the Asia and Pacific region recently?
1) Bank for International Settlements
2) World Bank
3) Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank(AIIB)
4) Asian Development Bank (ADB)
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Asian Development Bank (ADB)
Asian Development Bank (ADB) launched 5$ billion Action Plan for Healthy Oceans and Sustainable Blue Economies for the Asia and Pacific region. This will support ADB’s developing member countries’ efforts for achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), inclusive of the SDG 14: Life Below Water. Among the 10 rivers that transports 88% to 95% of plastics into the sea globally, 8 are in Asia and Pacific region.
- Where was the 52nd Annual Meeting of ADB’s Board of Governors held during which they launched the Action Plan for Healthy Oceans?
1) Frankfurt, Germany
2) Nadi, Fiji
3) Manila, Philippines
4) Yokohama, Japan
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Nadi, Fiji
The Healthy Oceans Action Plan was launched at the 52nd Annual Meeting of ADB’s Board of Governors, Nadi, Fiji.ADB President is Mr. Takehiko Nakao. Healthy Oceans Action Plan will expand financing and technical assistance for ocean health and marine economy projects to $5 billion from year 2019 to 2024.The 4 areas that the Action Plan will focus on, are as follows: creating inclusive livelihoods and business opportunities in tourism and fisheries conserving marine ecosystems and major rivers decreasing land-based sources of oceanic pollution, including plastics, wastewater, and agricultural runoff improving sustainability in port and coastal infrastructure development.
- Which department has relaxed income tax rules in order to facilitate fundraising by start-ups which is a part of the ‘Startup India Vision 2024‘?
1) Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT)
2) Department of Commerce
3) Department of Heavy Industry
4) Department of Export Promotion Council
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT)
The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) has brought relaxation in the income tax rules related to residential properties’ sale and carry-forward of losses, in order to facilitate fundraising by start-ups.The relaxation laws are part of the ‘Startup India Vision 2024‘ that’s been prepared by the DPIIT.The DPIIT recommended amendments in Section 54GB of the Income Tax Act, that is, capital gain on transfer of residential property not to be charged in certain cases and Section 79 that states, carry forward and set off of losses would be done for specific companies.The DPIIT has proposed to reduce shareholding requirements of founders from 50% to 20% and compulsory tenure from 5 years to 3 years. iv. Start-up promoters need to hold 100% shares for carrying forward of losses.
- Name the cardiac surgeon and humanitarian, who was honoured with the 27th PC Chandra Purashkaar recently?
1) Dr Naresh Trehan
2) Dr Devi Prasad Shetty
3) Dr Ramakanta Panda
4) Dr Amit Mittal
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Dr Devi Prasad Shetty
India’s most reputed cardiac surgeon and humanitarian, Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty was awarded 27th P.C. Chandra Puraskaar, the annual national award from the P.C. Chandra Group at Biswa Bangla Convention Centre. General Secretary of Ramakrishna Mission, Belur Math, Swami Suviranandaji Maharaj graced the occasion as the Chief Guest and gave away the award. He is also known as ‘The Man with Divine Hands’.In 2003, he has won Padma Shri and Padma Bhushan for medicine in 2013.
- Who was appointed as the new head coach of the Indian Men’s Volleyball team?
1) Roque Dias
2) Neelam Kapur
3) Dragan Mihailovic
4) Francis Marwein
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Dragan Mihailovic
On 3rd May 2019, Serbia’s Dragan Mihailovic has been appointed as the new head coach of the Indian Men’s Volleyball team by the Volleyball Federation of India (VFI). While Pryemyslaw Gaszyoski and Valadimir Radosevic have been named as the team’s physio trainer and physiotherapist respectively.Mihailovic succeeds Bir Singh.All the new appointees have been designated for five months and will work with the team for the Asian Championships scheduled to be held in Iran in September 2019.Mihailovic had worked with clubs like Orestiada and Panathinaikos.
- Name the fashion e-commerce platform, which has roped ViratKohli and Anushka Sharma as its first official brand ambassadors.
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Myntra
On 3rd May 2019, Flipkart-owned fashion e-commerce platform Myntra has appointed ViratKohli and Anushka Sharma as its first ever official brand ambassadors. Myntra has launched an integrated campaign called ‘Go Myntra-la-la’ to promote the brand. Advertising agency McCann Worldgroup from Bengaluru has created the television campaign. Anushka Sharma is a Bollywood actress and Virat Kohli is a famous cricket player. The couple has worked as brand ambassadors together for brands including Head and Shoulders and Manyavar.According to the 2018 Duff & Phelps celebrity brand valuation report, ‘Virushka’ are the biggest ‘power couple’ in terms of brand promotions after Deepika Padukone and Ranveer Singh.
- Who was appointed as the acting president of Archery Association of India (AAI) recently to start the election process?
1) A. M. Khanwilkar
2) Sunil Sharma
3) S Y Quraishi
4) BVP Rao
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Sunil Sharma
Archery Association of India (AAI) named Sunil Sharma, its senior vice president (also VP of Jammu and Kashmir Archery Association) in accordance with Article 24 of AAI Constitution (as approved by the Supreme Court on 4th December 2017) as its acting president to start the election process. Sunil Sharma was preceded by BVP Rao.Thereafter, Sunil Sharma headed the Executive Committee meeting.The Supreme Court had declared the elections conducted in December 2018 by the AAI as ‘null and void‘. They were monitored by S Y Quraishi, an administrator appointed by the high court.
- Which country has launched its first private rocket named ‘Momo-3’ into space recently?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Japan
A Japanese aerospace start-up Interstellar Technology Inc. has successfully launched a first privately developed rocket ‘Momo-3’ into space. The unmanned rocket launched from its test site in Taiki on the northern Japanese island of Hokkaido and it reached about 110 km in altitude before falling into the Pacific Ocean after 10 minutes of flight time. The rocket is 10 meters in length, 50 centimeters in diameter and weighs about 1 ton. ‘Momo-3’ rocket has the capability of putting payloads into the orbit.The company Interstellar Technology Inc. founded by former Livedoor Co. President Takafumi Horie in 2013. The objective is to develop low-cost commercial rockets to carry satellites into space.
- Name the rocket, which is used by the Space Exploration Technologies Corp. (Space X) along with Dragon Spacecraft for its 17th commercial resupply mission to the International Space Station (ISS).
1) Falcon 9 rocket
2) Rehbar I rockets
3) Scout rockets
4) Saturn I rockets
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Falcon 9 rocket
Space Exploration Technologies Corp. (Space X) launched its 17th commercial resupply mission to the International Space Station (ISS) by using Falcon 9 rocket with Dragon Spacecraft. The 213-foot-tall rocket lifted off at about 2:48 a.m. local time from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. The resupply mission contains almost 5,500 pounds of science, supplies, and hardware.This mission is a part of NASA’s Commercial Resupply Services (CRS) program, which uses commercial spacecraft to deliver cargo to the ISS. Space X and Northrop Grumman carry out these missions for NASA by using Dragon Spacecraft and Cygnus Spacecraft respectively.This is the 17th cargo resupply mission to the ISS launched by Space X under a contract worth of USD 3.04 billion for 20 cargo deliveries through early 2020. Also, Space X has a separate follow-on contract for at least six more resupply missions to the ISS through 2024.
- Where was the XXXVI Feliks Stamm International Boxing Tournament 2019 held recently?
1) New Delhi, India
2) Moscow, Russia
3) Warsaw, Poland
4) Beijing, China
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Warsaw, Poland
The XXXVI Feliks Stamm International Boxing Tournament 2019 was held at Centre of Sport and Recreation in Warsaw, Poland from April 28 to May 5, 2019. The event was organised by the Polish Boxing Association. In this tournament, India won a total 6 medals which includes 2 gold, 1 silver and 3 bronze medal.
- Gaurav Solanki was in news recently, he belongs to which sport?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Boxing
The 22-year-old Gaurav Solanki is related to Boxing.He is recently in news when he defeated England’s William Cawley by 5-0 in Fly (52-kg) category in XXXVI Feliks Stamm International Boxing Tournament 2019.Last year, Solanki won a gold medal in Commonwealth Games and the Chemistry Cup.
Medals won by Indian Boxers:
S.No. Weight Category Name Medal 1. Fly (52-kg) Gaurav Solanki Gold 2. Light (60-kg) Manish Kaushik Gold 3. Bantam (56-kg) Mohammed Hussamuddin Silver 4. Light Welter (64-kg) Ankit Khatana Bronze 5. Welter (69-kg) Mandeep Jangra Bronze 6. Heavy (91-kg) Sanjeet Bronze
- What is the name of the autobiography of Shahid Afridi, former captain of the Pakistan national cricket team which is co-authored by journalist Wajahat S Khan?
1) Cricket As I See It
2) Cricket Delightful
3) Spinning Round The World
4) Game Changer
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Game Changer
Shahid Afridi, former captain of the ‘Pakistan national cricket team‘ has written his autobiography titled, ‘Game Changer’ which will unveil answers to the much-contemplated questions about him. The book has been published by Harper Collin’s India. Afridi is popularly known as ‘Boom Boom’ and holds the world record for the fastest ODI (One Day International) century in 37 deliveries.He also holds the distinction of having hit the most number of sixes in the history of ODI cricket.The book has been co-authored by Afridi and journalist Wajahat S Khan.
- World Laughter Day is observed annually on ____________?
1) First Sunday of May
2) First Saturday of May
3) First Wednesday of May
4) First Friday of May
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) First Sunday of May
World Laughter Day is observed on the first Sunday of May every year and this year first Sunday of May coincide with May 5. The Laughter Yoga Movement started by Dr. Kataria was a part of the facial feedback hypothesis which postulates that facial expression of a person can have an effect on their emotions. The popularity of this movement has grown exponentially and till now over 6000 laughter Clubs opened worldwide.
- Who is the founder of the worldwide Laughter Yoga Movement?
1) K Pattabhi Jois
2) Dr. Madan Kataria
3) Tirumalai Krishnamacharya
4) Maharishi Mahesh Yogi
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Dr. Madan Kataria
World Laughter Day is observed on the first Sunday of May every year and this year first Sunday of May coincide with May 5. The day was first celebrated on May 10, 1998, in Mumbai and arranged by Dr. Madan Kataria, founder of the worldwide Laughter Yoga Movement. The purpose is to raise awareness about laughter and its many healing benefits.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Who is the President of Asian Development Bank (ADB)?Mr. Takehiko Nakao
- What is the Capital and Currency of Denmark?Capital: Copenhagen & Currency: Danish Krone
- Who is the founder & CEO of SpaceX?Elon Musk
- Where is the headquarter of Volleyball Federation of India(VFI) located?Bengaluru, India
- Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion functions under which Ministry?Ministry of Commerce and Industry