AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs May 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs May 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs April 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- Geological sites, Mawmluh cave and Therriaghat cave were in news recently.It is located in which State?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Meghalaya
The Geological Survey of India (GSI) North Eastern Region (NER) installed 2 geological display boards at 2 important geological sites with geo-scientific information. The sites are Mawmluh cave and Therriaghat cave in Meghalaya. The prime objective of this was to create awareness among students, visiting tourists and the general public and will also help to conserve the site and aid the upcoming generations to be aware of such geological developments. The geological display boards are unveiled at Mawmluh cave and Therriaghat at Sobhar in East Khasi Hill District.
- Who was designated as ‘global terrorist’ by 1267 Al-Qaida Sanctions Committee of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) recently?
1) Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh
2) Masood Azhar
3) Mushtaq Ahmed Zargar
4) Rashid Rauf
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Masood Azhar
The 1267 Al-Qaida Sanctions Committee of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) designated Pakistan based militant group Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) leader Masood Azhar as a ‘global terrorist’ on May 1, 2019. This could be possible because China has lifted its technical hold on the proposal to blacklist Masood Azhar. In earlier four instances, China had blocked the proposal to designate Masood Azhar as a global terrorist. This is a huge diplomatic win for India and also a symbolic victory towards the fight against terrorism. This time the proposal was moved by P3 countries (USA, France and United Kingdom), a permanent member to the United Nations Security Council (UNSC), on February 27, 2019 to designate Azhar as a global terrorist. This move was the response of deadly terror attack in Pulwama by Pakistan based militant group Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) which killed 40 Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) jawans.
- Which country’s parliament has become the first national legislative body in the world to declare a Environment and Climate Emergency?
1) United Kingdom
2) United States
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) United Kingdom
he UK Parliament becomes the first national government to pass an exemplary measure, that is, a national declaration of an Environment and Climate Emergency. This move marks a serious emergency in dealing with climate change. The declaration was preceded by a visit by teenage activist Greta Thunberg (to the Parliament), the feature of David Attenborough’s documentary movie titled ‘Climate Change: The Facts’ and the 11-days of constant protest by an environmental group ‘Extinction Rebellion‘.Britain’s opposition Labour Party called for this serious action.
- Name the bill signed into a law recently by Russian President Vladimir Putin, inorder to allow Russian authorities gain control over the Internet.
1) Internet Solitarity
2) Lone Internet
3) Sovereign Internet
4) Internet Control
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Sovereign Internet
On 2 May 2019, Russian President Vladimir Putin signed into law a “sovereign internet” bill that will allow Russian authorities to isolate the country’s internet to expand the Government Control of the Internet. This move is being publicly denounced by all rights groups in Russia and will lead to censorship over large parts of the Internet.The new move requires Internet providers to install equipment for routing Russian web traffic through servers in Russia which will allow the Russian intelligence agencies of state authorities to control public information.Roskomnadzor’s chief (Roskomnadzor is Russia’s chief media regulator), Aleksandr Zharov, notified that the measures would also target the Telegram app widely used by Russians.The text of the law was published on 1st May 2019 and will come into effect after November.
- Find the online payment system, that launched One Touch experience using Google Smart Lock forging India, the first market to use Google Smart Lock?
1) Oxigen Wallet India
2) PayPal India
3) PayUbiz India
4) MobiKwik India
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) PayPal India
PayPal India used Google Smart Lock and launched its OneTouch experience in India. The launch of the OneTouch feature permits Indian consumers to register their Android device with PayPal and stay logged into PayPal for further PayPal purchases on that device, thus removing the issue of repeated log-ins and enabling a seamless payments experience.The integration with Google Smart Lock will offer a hassle-free payment procedure as well as maintain security to prevent fraud.India becomes the first market where the feature of Google Smart Lock has been integrated.PayPal’s Buyer Protection feature will provide an extra layer of security to this feature for eligible transactions, that is, if items that are purchased online mismatch with the description of the product that was sold, the Buyer Protection feature enables them to claim a refund for eligible transactions.
- Name the Indian firm, that has signed an MoU (Memorandum of Understanding) with Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) for implementing different projects related to e-mobility?
1) Bharat Earth Movers Limited
2) Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited
3) NTPC Limited
4) Gail Limited
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited
Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) and Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) have together signed an MoU (Memorandum of Understanding) for effective cooperation on different projects related to e-mobility and implement solutions for electric & trolley bus, EV (Electric Vehicles) chargers, battery and charger testing, etc. The MoU was signed by Rashmi Urdhwareshe, Director, ARAI and Renuka Gera, BHEL. Electro mobility (e-mobility) The term electro mobility refers to full and hybrid electric vehicles as well as those using hydrogen fuel cell technology. These vehicles represent electronically driven vehicles in the future.
- Name the cricketer, who was appointed as the first non-British president of Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC).
1) Chris Gayle
2) Sachin Tendulkar
3) Kumar Sangakkara
4) Sunil Gavaskar
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Kumar Sangakkara
Kumar Sangakkara, former Sri Lanka captain has been named as the first non-British president of Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC). He succeeds Anthony Wreford. It was announced at the MCC annual general meeting at Lord’s on 1 May 2019. He will take up his one-year post in October. Sangakkara, 41-year-old, scored 12,400 runs in 134 tests, appears twice on the honours boards at Lord’s.MCC is the guardian of the Laws of the game and it was founded in 1787 and has been based at Lord’s, which it owns, since 1814.His responsibilities would involve the launch of The Hundred – the England and Wales Cricket Board’s new 100-ball cricket format and two England test matches against West Indies and Pakistan.
- Who was appointed as the Training Command Chief of Indian Air Force, after Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria ?
1) SK Ghotia
2) Rajesh Kumar
3) RD Mathur
4) RKS Shera
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) SK Ghotia
On 1 May 2019, Air Marshal SK Ghotia VSM took charge as Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Training Command. He will succeed Air Marshal Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria, who has recently assumed charge as Vice Chief of the Air Staff. Air Marshal Ghotia.He was commissioned in the fighter stream of Indian Air Force in Dec 1981 and an alumnus of the National Defence Academy. He was awarded Vishist Seva Medal in 2007. He was also commended by the Air Officer Commanding-In-Chief, Western Air Command in 1994.
- Which Stock Exchange has appointed M Jayshree Vyas as its first independent woman director ?
1) India International Exchange (INX)
2) Calcutta Stock Exchange
3) National Stock Exchange of India (NSE)
4) Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE)
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE)
Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) has appointed chartered accountant M Jayshree Vyas as its first independent woman director to the board. However, BSE has missed the deadline of April 1 which was given to all top 500 listed companies based on their market capitalisation to appoint an independent woman director on their board. M Jayshree Vyas. Earlier, M Jayshree Vyas worked as the managing director of Shree Mahila Sewa Sahakari Bank, Ahmedabad since 1986. She had also helped in launching the first financial literacy program in Sewa bank in 2001.
- Where was the country’s biggest sculpture, stucco figurine from buddhist site excavated by Indian archaeologists recently?
1) Belegali in Hubli, Karnataka
2) Phanigiri in Suryapet, Telangana
3) Maniyoor in Kannur, Kerala
4) Chandur in Belgaum, Karnataka
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Suryapet, Telangana
Indian archaeologists recently unearthed a life-sized stucco sculpture from a Buddhist site at Phanigiri in Suryapet, Telangana. As per heritage department officials, it represents one of Bhodhisattva in Jathaka Chakra.This is the largest stucco sculpture found from India till date. The sculpture is about 1.73 metres in height and 35 cm in width.It is considered to have been built at at peak of Ikshavaku dynasty.The preliminary excavation at Phanigiri was started by archaeological department official Khaja Muhammad Ahmad in 1941.
- Name the Indian Shooter, who attained number one ranking globally in women’s 10m Air Rifle category as per recent International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) ranking
1) Apurvi Chandela
2) Tejaswini Sawant
3) Rahi Sarnobat
4) Heena Sidhu
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Apurvi Chandela
According to the latest rankings released by International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF), world cup gold medallist, Apurvi Chandela became the world number one in women’s 10m Air Rifle category with 1,926 rating points. The 26-year old Apurvi Chandela is among the five Indian shooters who have earned the Olympic quota for the Tokyo 2020. In early this year, Chandela had broken the world record after winning India’s first gold medal at the ISSF World Cup 2019 held in New Delhi. She had shot 252.9 in 10m women Air Rifle final to bag gold medal at Dr. Karni Singh Shooting Range in New Delhi.After Chandela, Anjum Moudgil is World No. 2 on ISSF rankings with 1695 rating points in the 10m Air Rifle category after she won mixed gold at the ISSF World Cup in Beijing.
- Virgil Van Dijk won the Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA) Players’ Player of the Year Award for 2018-19 recently,he belongs to which country?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Netherland
The 27-year old Liverpool defender and captain of the Netherland National team, Virgil Van Dijk won the Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA) Players’ Player of the Year Award for 2018-19 after a sterling Premier League campaign. Van Dijk had joined Liverpool from Southampton in January 2018 for a fee of £75million (Euro 75 million).This award marks the second season straight that any Liverpool player has won the prestigious Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA) Players’ Player of the Year Award. Last year Mohamed Salah of Liverpool won this award.
- World Tuna Day 2019 is observed annually on __________?
1) 1st May
2) 30th April
3) 29th April
4) 2nd May
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) 2nd May
World Tuna Day was observed on May 2 worldwide to highlight the importance of tuna fish and to promote more sustainable fishing practices which will help in achieving the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. In December 2016, the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) officially recognized May 2 as a World Tuna Day in its resolution 71/124. After the resolution has passed, the day was first observed on May 2, 2017.Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) in its latest report in 2018 titled, “The State of World Fisheries and Aquaculture: Meeting the Sustainable Development Goals” highlights the tuna fish role in achieving the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) 14 which talks about conservation and sustainable use of oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development.
- Name the day, which was observed globally on 1st Thursday of May every year.
1) World Cancer Day
2) World Pulses Day
3) World Password Day
4) World Radio Day
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) World Password Day
The Registrar of National Day Calendar has designated the first Thursday of the month of May of each year as World Password Day. This day is celebrated to promote better password habits for digital protection for online shopping, dating, banking, social media, private work, and life communications. For the very first time, security researcher, Mark Burnett encouraged people to have a “password day,” where they updated important passwords in his 2005 book Perfect Passwords.Inspired by his idea, Intel Security took the initiative to declare the first Thursday of May every year as World Password Day. The declaration was done in May 2013.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Who is the Director-General of Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO)?Jose Graziano da Silva
- Where is the headquarter of International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) located?Munich, Germany
- Name the Parent organisation of Archaeological Survey of India?Ministry of Culture, Government of India
- Who is the MD & CEO of National Stock Exchange (NSE)?Vikram Limaye
- What is the Capital and Currency of United Kingdom(UK)?Capital: London & Currency: Pound sterling