AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs May 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs May 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs April 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- As per Israel proposal, which country has been selected as the focus country in Jerusalem Film Festival, 2020?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) India
Indian Delegation led by Amit Khare, I&B Secretary met Film Commissioners of participating countries at Cannes Film Festival. The Delegation further met Eti Cohen, Director of Film Department and Council, Ministry of Culture and Sports, Israel. During the meeting, Israel proposed India to be the focus country in Jerusalem Film Festival, 2020. The buzz created by the Hindi movie Newton in Israel was also highlighted by the Israeli Delegation. Israel also proposed the idea of making concept based films in India, with a focus on regional and small budget films.
- Who was the head of 5 member panel constituted by Reserve Bank of India(RBI) for promoting digital payments?
1) Sanjay Jain
2) Kishore Sansi
3) Nandan Nilekani
4) H R Khan
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Nandan Nilekani
The Central Bank notified that the (Reserve Bank of India) RBI-appointed committee chaired by Nandan Nilekani, Aadhaar architect, submitted the panel’s suggestions on promoting digital payments to Shaktikanta Das, the Governor of RBI.In January 2019, the Central Bank had set up the 5-member panel with an objective to promote digitisation of payments, thus improving financial inclusion through digitisation.Besides Infosys co-founder Nilekani, former RBI deputy governor H R Khan, former MD and CEO of Vijaya Bank, Kishore Sansi, former secretary in ministries of IT (Information Technology) and steel Aruna Sharma, chief innovation officer, Centre for Innovation, Incubation & Entrepreneurship (CIIE), IIM Ahmedabad, Sanjay Jain were also members of the panel.
- Which Financial services company, has launched a specialised insurance cover titled ‘Mumbai Local Train Cover‘ for passengers travelling in local trains in Mumbai ?
1) SBI Life Insurance Co. Ltd.
2) Bajaj Finserv
3) Max Life Insurance Co. Ltd.
4) Exide Life Insurance Co. Ltd.
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Bajaj Finserv
Bajaj Finserv, through its lending arm Bajaj Finance Ltd has launched a specialised insurance cover titled ‘Mumbai Local Train Cover‘ for passengers travelling in local trains in Mumbai.This policy provides coverage in case of mishap during a train journey.The passengers will get an insurance cover of Rs 1 lakh against a payment of Rs 399 per annum.In the event, when an insured passenger suffers a disability as a result of a Mumbai-local train accident, the passenger is covered against loss of income, with Rs. 2000 per week during the policy period.Local train travellers who are eligible for this insurance cover are persons above 18 years of age and below 70 years of age.
- Who were felicitated with ‘Award for Honour’ for their work to help people change the trajectory of their lives by Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment ?
1) Phani Kumar and Antano
2) Phani Kumar and Harini
3) Harini and John
4) Antano and Harini
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Antano and Harini
The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India, felicitated Legacy Accelerators, Antano and Harini with the ‘Award for Honour’ for their work to help people change the trajectory of their lives and create a personal legacy in compressed time. Antano and Harini together with their Team of Excellence Installation Specialists and Change Agents were invited to work with some Government officers across various levels. As the impact of their work, they were felicitated with the Award.The 20 specialists of Excellence Installation Specialists and Change Agents, guided by Antano and Harini for last 3 years, also received an appreciation letter along with a sapling from B.L. Meena, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- Name the painting of Claude Monet, which was sold for a record breaking price of $110.7 million (Rs.778 crore) at Sotheby’s Impressionist & Modern Art.
2) Women in the Garden
3) Wild Poppies
4) Impression, Sunrise
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) ‘Mueles’ (Grainstacks)
On May 14, 2019, one of the paintings of 1890 named ‘Mueles’ (Grainstacks) of Claude Monet was sold for a record breaking price of $110.7 million (Rs.778 crore) at Sotheby’s Impressionist & Modern Art Evening Sale. It became the ninth most expensive work ever sold in the auction. It is the finest work of Claude Monet from ‘Haystacks’ series and became the first impressionist work to cross $100 million threshold at auction.The painting ‘Mueles’ is an oil on canvas which was completed in the year 1890. It depicts stacks of harvested wheat that belonged to Monet’s neighbour.Monet was the founder of French Impressionism and was known as the Master of plein air landscapes. He died in the year 1926 aged 86. The other paintings of Monet are Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York in US, Musée d’Orsay, Paris in France and Art Institute of Chicago.
- Who is one among the winner of Sasakawa Award 2019 presented by United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR)?
1) Ram Nath Kovind
2) Sushma Swaraj
3) Dr. Pramod Kumar Mishra
4) Narendra Modi
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Dr. Pramod Kumar Mishra
United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) granted the prestigious Sasakawa Award 2019 for Disaster Risk Reduction to Additional Principal Secretary to Prime Minister of India, Dr. Pramod Kumar Mishra, during the ongoing 6th Session of Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (GPDRR) 2019 at Geneva, Switzerland. GPDRR is a biennial multi-stakeholder forum that was established by the (United nations) UN General Assembly to evaluate progress, share knowledge and discuss the recent developments in decreasing disaster risk.The Indian delegation was led by Dr. P K Mishra.In the area of Disaster Risk Management, the United Nations Sasakawa Award is the most prestigious international award.
- Name the Indian Youtuber, who was named among the Top 10 ‘Next Generation Leaders 2019’ by Time Magazine.
1) Sandeep Maheshwari
2) Gaurav Chowdhary
3) Bhuvaneshvar Bam
4) Ajey Nagar
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Ajey Nagar
19 year old Indian YouTuber, Ajey Nagar is named among the Top 10 ‘Next Generation Leaders 2019’ by Time Magazine. He is the most followed YouTuber in India. The ‘Next Generation Leaders’ is a list of 10 young people around the world who create new paths in politics, music and other spheres. Ajey Nagar runs a youtube channel named CarryMinati which has 6,827,342 subscribers. He had uploaded the first video when he was 10 years old and found his niche in 2016 by producing diss tracks.In January 2019, Nagar’s diss track against Swedish YouTuber Felix Kjellberg, popularly known as PewDiePie which was viral rendered enormous success to his YouTube career. In a video titled “Bye PewDiePie”, Nagar raps in Hindi to tell PewDiePie that one day, India will rule the whole world.
- What was the theme of the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR)’s 2019 Sasakawa award?
1) Theme – “A secure business environment for economic development”
2) Theme – “Building Inclusive and Resilient Societies”
3) Theme – “Workers on the move: the quest for social justice”
4) Theme – “Science and Technology for a Sustainable Future”
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Theme – “Building Inclusive and Resilient Societies”
The theme of the 2019 Sasakawa award was titled “Building Inclusive and Resilient Societies”.Dr. Mishra was honoured with the award for his constant dedication in improving the strength of the communities which were most exposed to disasters. He also personally committed to work for social inclusion for the reduction in inequality and poverty, and also enhanced the safety and security.The United Nations Sasakawa Award is collaboratively organized by the UNDRR and the Nippon Foundation and was instituted over 30 years ago.A total grant of 50,000 USD is distributed among the winners of the award, which can be either organizations or individuals.UNDRR received over 61 nominations from 31 countries for the 2019 award.
- Name the film, for which child actor, Sunny Pawar won the Best Child Actor Award in 19th New York Indian Film Festival.
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Chippa
Child actor, Sunny Pawar aged 11, won the Best Child Actor Award for his performance in ‘Chippa’ at the 19th New York Indian Film Festival. He hails from a slum in Kunchi Kurve Nagar in Mumbai, Maharashtra. Film ‘Chippa’ is directed by Safdar Rahman.His film ‘Lion’ directed by Australian Garth Davis’, which was nominated for Oscars 2017, had awarded him the Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts Awards (AACTA Awards). He has also won a Special Mention Grand Jury Prize at the Asia Pacific Screen Awards.
- Who was appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to the Kingdom of Eswatini?
1) Radha Venkataraman
2) Sanjay Rana
3) Alok Kumar Sinha
4) Sangeeta Bahadur
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Radha Venkataraman
On May 17, 2019, the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India, announced the appointment of Radha Venkataraman as the next High Commissioner of India to the Kingdom of Eswatini. She is currently serving as the Director in the Ministry of External Affairs. She is set to take up her responsibility soon. She succeeds Rudra Gaurav Shresth.
- Name the Chairperson of Lokpal, who inaugurated the website of Lokpal.
1) Dipak Misra
2) Arjan Kumar Sikri
3) Pinaki Chandra Ghose
4) Arun Kumar Mishra
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Pinaki Chandra Ghose
The Website of the Lokpal was inaugurated by the Chairperson, Justice Shri Pinaki Chandra Ghose. His oath was administered by President Ram Nath Kovind. All the Members of Lokpal attended it. The Government has also appointed 4 Judicial and 4 non-Judicial Members.The Website with (Uniform Resource Locator )URLhttp://lokpal.gov.in was developed by NIC (National Information Commission) and provides the basic information w.r.t. (with respect to) the working and functioning of the Lokpal.The Lokpal or the anti-corruption Ombudsman is the first institution of its kind established in India under the Lokpal and Lokayuktas Act, 2013.
- Which country has received the first pair of Mi-24 attack helicopters from India?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Afghanistan
Indian Ambassador to Afghanistan, Vinay Kumar made the hand-over of the first pair of replacement Mi-24 attack helicopters to Afghanistan Defence Minister, Asadullah Khalid at the Kabul Air Force base with the main objective of strengthening the Afghan air force as it battles Taliban insurgency against the fact of US’ lookout for exiting the Afghanistan after a 17-year stay. The choppers were purchased from Belarus.In December 2015, India had first delivered the Mi-24 Helicopters to Afghanistan.The Mi-24 is a large helicopter gunship and can be used for assault and transport missions.The Mi-24 can ferry up to 8 people.
- Which type of missile was test fired recently, that is manufactured by Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL)?
1) Long Range surface to air Missile(LRSAM)
2) Air-to-Air Missiles(AAM)
3) Beyond-Visual-Range Air-To-Air Missile (BVRAAM)
4) Medium-Range Surface-to-Air Missile (MRSAM)
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Medium-Range Surface-to-Air Missile (MRSAM)
The Indian Navy has achieved a significant milestone in enhancing its anti-air warfare capability by successfully test-firing a Medium Range Surface to Air Missile (MRSAM) on the western seaboard. The test-firing was carried out by Indian naval ships Kochi and Chennai.The MRSAM has been manufactured by Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL).
- What is the strike range of the Medium Range Surface to Air Missile (MRSAM), that is test fired recently on western seaboard?
1) 70 km
2) 50 km
3) 60 km
4) 80 km
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) 70 km
The Indian Navy has achieved a significant milestone in enhancing its anti-air warfare capability by successfully test-firing a Medium Range Surface to Air Missile (MRSAM) .The missile has the ability to destroy the hostile aircraft, missiles and drones at a range of 70 km. The test-firing of the missile was collaboratively undertaken by the Indian Navy, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI).The DRDO had partnered with Israel Aerospace Industries and developed the missile.
- Olympic champion Laura Dahlmeier announced retirement from which sport recently?
2) Ski jumping
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Biathlon
On May 17, 2019, Germany’s Double Olympic biathlon champion Laura Dahlmeier announced the retirement at the age of 25 after struggling with health issues. Laura Dahlmeier has won 7 world championship gold medals. She had won the world titles in 2015 and 2016 and took the overall biathlon World Cup in 2017.In the Winter Olympics 2018, commonly called Pyeongchang 2018, she became the first female biathlete to win sprint as well as the pursuit at the same Olympics. She had also won a bronze in the individual event in Pyeongchang.In 2012, fellow German biathlete Magdalena Neuner, a double Olympic champion, had also retired aged 25.
- Winner of International Cricket Council(ICC) world cup 2019 will receive _________, the highest prize money in the history of the tournament?
1) 1 million Dollar
2) 3 million Dollar
3) 2 million Dollar
4) 4 million Dollar
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) 4 million Dollar
The winners of the upcoming World Cup in England will receive a record $4 million for lifting the trophy, the International Cricket Council.In all a total of $10 million is on offer during the showpiece men’s one-day international tournament, which starts later this month and lasts 46 days. CC CWC 2019 — Prize Money: Winners (1) $4,000,000; Runners-Up (1) $2,000,00; Losing Semi-Finalists (2) $800,000 each; Winners of each league stage match (45): $40,000 each; Teams that do pass the league stage (6) $100,000 each.Tournament hosts and favourites England, bidding to win the trophy for the first time, will open the World Cup when they face South Africa at The Oval in south London on 30 May.
- Name the deceased Indian Army Mountaineer, who was a part of expedition team which had earlier spotted mysterious footprints of mythical creature ‘Yeti’.
1) Mohan Singh Kohli
2) Naik Narayan Singh
3) Mohan Singh Gunjyal
4) Harish Kapadia
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Naik Narayan Singh
Naik Narayan Singh, one among the 18 member of Indian Army Mountaineering Expedition team to Mt Makalu (8485m) passed away recently. He died while descending from the summit point to Camp IV (first camp during the descent).He had earlier took part in mountaineering expeditions. Last year he had successfully summited Mt Kamet.He had joined the Army in 2002 and hailed from Pithoragarh, Uttarakhand.The Expedition team has earlier spotted mysterious footprints of mythical creature ‘Yeti’.
- Ieoh Ming Pei passed away recently, he belonged to which field?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Architect
Ieoh Ming Pei, world famous chinese-american architect who designed Louvre Pyramid, the main entrance to the Louvre Museum which houses the Mona Lisa among other historical works of art passed away at the age of 102 in New York. He was born in Guangzhou, Republic of China. He is one of the most notable architects of the 20th century.
- National Dengue Day is observed annually on ___________?
1) May 16
2) May 17
3) May 15
4) May 18
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) May 16
Initiated by Ministry of Healthy and Family Welfare, National Dengue Day is observed annually on May 16 to raise awareness about the viral disease dengue and its preventive measures. In India, Directorate of National Vector Borne Disease Control Programe (NVBDCP) is the nodal centre for the surveillance and prevention of dengue. In 2016, The GOI has launched a mobile app “India Fights Dengue”.In 2017 maximum numbers of dengue cases were reported from Tamil Nadu.As per Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report, globally, 400 million people get infected with this virus annually.
- What was the theme of World Hypertension Day 2019?
1) Theme – “Awareness of high blood pressure”
2) Theme – “Know Your Blood Pressure”
3) Theme – “Know Your Numbers”
4) Theme – “Treat to goal”
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Theme – “Know Your Numbers”
Since 2006, World Hypertension Day (WHD) 2019 is observed annually on May 17 to raise awareness about the high blood pressure (HBP). It is a situation where blood pressure in the arteries is persistently raised. The day also works towards the prevention and control of this silent killer. The theme for WHD 2019 was “Know Your Numbers”. The day was initiated by the World Hypertension League (WHL) on May 14, 2005.This year, WHL in collaboration with the International Society of Hypertension (ISH) also promoted May Measurement Month (MMM),under which, volunteers around the world measure the blood pressure of people in cities, towns, and villages. MMM was initiated in 2017 by ISH.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Who is the President of World Hypertension League (WHL)?Daniel T. Lackland
- Where is the headquarter of United Nation located?Manhattan, New York, United States
- Who is the chief of Naval Staff?Admiral Sunil Lanba
- Where is the headquarter of Bajaj Finserv ?Pune, Maharashtra, India
- Who is the Prime Minister of Kingdom of Eswatini?Ambrose Mandvulo Dlamini