AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs May 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs May 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs April 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- Where was the 2 day ministerial meeting of the World Trade Organisation (WTO) held?
1) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) New Delhi
India hosted a 2-day (May 13-14, 2019)ministerial meeting of the World Trade Organisation (WTO) in New Delhi in which ministers from 16 developing nations and 6 least developed nations had participated to discuss major problems and challenges facing the multi-lateral trading system.
- Who is the Director General of World Trade Organisation (WTO)?
1) Renato Ruggiero
2) Mike Moore
3) Roberto Azevedo
4) Pascal Lamy
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Roberto Azevedo
India hosted a 2-day (May 13-14, 2019)ministerial meeting of the World Trade Organisation (WTO) in New Delhi in which ministers from 16 developing nations and 6 least developed nations had participated to discuss major problems and challenges facing the multi-lateral trading system. The Ministerial Meeting had commenced with a dinner hosted by the Union Minister of Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu, in which Roberto Azevedo, the Director General of WTO, was also present.
- Name the 2-week long summer vacation residential programme launched for the first time by Indian Space Research Organisation(ISRO)?
1) ‘Yuva Vaigyanik Kendra’ (Yuvika-2019)
2) ‘Yuva Vaigyanic Karyakram’ (Yuvika-2019)
3) ‘Yuva Vaigyanic Krishikosh’ (Yuvika-2019)
4) ‘Yuva Vaigyanic Kaushal Vikas Yojana’ (Yuvika-2019)
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) ‘Yuva Vaigyanic Karyakram’ (Yuvika-2019)
ISRO launched a maiden 2-week long (13th May 2019 to 26th May 2019) summer vacation residential programme termed ‘India Young Scientist Programme’ (Yuvika-2019) or ‘Yuva Vaigyanic Karyakram’ in line with the central government’s vision of ‘Jai Vigyan, Jai Anusandhan’. This two-week-long programme is regarded as “Catch them young”. The selected students from 29 states and 7 Union Territories across India would be able to avail this novel programme.
- Name the tamil militant and political organization, which has been banned by the central government for an additional 5 years recently.
1) Tamil Eelam Liberation Organization(TELO)
2) Eelam People’s Democratic Party(EPDP)
3) Eelam People’s Revolutionary Liberation Front(EPRLF)
4) Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam(LTTE)
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam(LTTE)
Under sub-sections (1) and (3) of section 3 of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967 (37 of 1967), the Central Government has extended the ban on the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) for an additional 5 years with immediate effect.The notification stated that the LTTE’s perpetual violent activities are extremely detrimental to the integrity of our nation.LTTE has continuously been adopting a vehement anti-nationalist stand and has been posing as a grave threat to Indian’s safety and security.
- What is the name of the joint exercise carried out by the India Armed Forces namely Indian Army, Navy and Air Force that was held in Teressa Island, Andaman and Nicobar?
1) Bull Strike
2) Emerald Mercury
3) Desert Strike
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Bull Strike
All Indian armed forces comprising Indian Army, Indian Navy and Indian Air Force hold joint exercise Bull Strike at Teressa Island in Andaman and Nicobar.The objective is to enhance their coordination in dealing with major security challenges which are currently facing the country and also to showcase joint operation capability of the three forces, Indian Army, Navy and Air Force and further enhance operation coordination.Total 170 troops from all three services participated and carried out para drop operations in a Combat Free Fall and Static Line mode.
- Which Telecommunications company has tied up with Housing Development Finance Cooperation (HDFC) Life to provide life cover for its prepaid customers ?
1) Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited(BSNL)
2) Reliance Jio
3) Bharti Airtel
4) Vodafone Idea Limited
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Bharti Airtel
Bharti Airtel and the Housing Development Finance Cooperation (HDFC) Life had tied up to offer life cover for customers at a prepaid recharge of Rs 249. This new Rs 249 prepaid recharge will include 2 GB data, unlimited calls across all the networks and 100 SMS per day with an insurance cover of the worth of Rs 4 lakh from HDFC Life. The recharge validity is for only 28 days.
- Name the multi-currency card that has been launched by ICICI Bank in Collaboration with online travel booking portal Goibibo.
1) ICICI Goibibo Card for Travel
2) Goibibo ICICI Bank Travel Card
3) ICICI Goibibo Travel Card
4) Travel ICICI Goibibo Card
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Goibibo ICICI Bank Travel Card
On May 13, 2019, Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India (ICICI) Bank along with online travel booking portal Goibibo launched co-branded multi-currency card- Goibibo ICICI Bank Travel Card. Customers can use one card for multiple currencies and enjoy discounts on flights and hotel bookings. It can be used by anyone who are travelling abroad irrespective whether they hold an account in ICICI bank or not.It is accepted across 200 countries and 4.6 merchants globally and can be dealt in 15 currencies.
- Which bank has partnered with the digital payments company, Paytm and launched the 1st cash-back driven credit card called “Paytm First Card”?
1) IDBI Bank
2) Federal Bank
3) HDFC Bank
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Citibank
The digital payments company Paytm has collaborated with Citibank and launched its 1st credit card called ‘Paytm First Card‘. This is the first card of its kind launched in India by the American card company, which has similar exclusive partnerships across sectors in the US. It is also the first cash-back driven white-label credit card claimed to be internationally accepted and would offer 1% ‘unlimited cash back universally’ to the customers. In this policy, Paytm notified that its unlimited 1% cash back would be automatically credited each month bereft of any restrictions.The card comes with an annual fee of Rs 500 and this fee will be fully waived off on expenses above Rs 50,000 per year.
- Who won the International Cricketer of the Year Award in CEAT International Cricket Awards 2019?
1) Virat Kohli
2) MS Dhoni
3) Rohit Sharma
4) Shikhar Dhawan
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Virat Kohli
On May 13, 2019, During the CEAT Cricket Rating (CCR) Awards 2019, Indian skipper Virat Kohli has bagged the International Cricketer of the Year Award and Smriti Mandhana has won International Woman Cricketer of Year Award. Virat Kohli has also won the Best Batsman Award. Kohli has scored 10,843 runs in the One-Day Internationals (ODI) and 6613 runs in the longest format. Smriti Mandhana has scored 1951 runs in the ODIs and 1298 runs in the shortest format.
- Name the Indian Cricketer, who won the Lifetime Achievement Award in CEAT International Cricket Awards 2019.
1) Anil Kumble
2) Ajay Jadeja
3) Mohinder Amarnath
4) Gul Mohammad
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Mohinder Amarnath
On May 13, 2019, During the CEAT Cricket Rating (CCR) Awards 2019, Indian skipper Virat Kohli has bagged the International Cricketer of the Year Award and Smriti Mandhana has won International Woman Cricketer of Year Award. The Lifetime Achievement Award was given to Mohinder Amarnath who is the former Indian all-rounder and he was the member of the winning team of World Cup 1983.
- Who won the International T20 Player of the Year in CEAT International Cricket Awards 2019?
1) Glenn Maxwell
2) Aaron Finch
3) Shane Watson
4) David Warner
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Aaron Finch
On May 13, 2019, During the CEAT Cricket Rating (CCR) Awards 2019, Indian Pacer, Jasprit Bumrah was honoured with the International Bowler of the Year Award.
Following is the list of Award Winners:
• International Test Cricketer of the Year: Cheteshwar Pujara (India)
• International ODI Cricketer of the Year: Rohit Sharma (India)
• International T20 Player of the Year: Aaron Finch (Australia)
• Outstanding Performance of the Year: Kuldeep Yadav (India)
• International T20 Bowler of the Year: Rashid Khan (Afghanistan)
• Domestic Player of the Year: Ashutosh Aman (India)
• Junior Cricketer of the Year: Yashasvi Jaiswal (India)
• Cricket Journalists of the Year: Sriram Veera and Snehal Pradhan (India)
• Special Tribute: Late Ajit Wadekar (India)
- Who was appointed as the Chief Executive Officer(CEO) of Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) Mutual Fund recently?
1) Girish Chandra Murmu
2) Subhash Chandra Garg
3) Vipin Anand
4) Dinesh Pangtey
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Dinesh Pangtey
Former Director and Chief Executive Officer at LIC HFL (Housing Finance Ltd) AMC (Asset Management Company), Dinesh Pangtey has been appointed as Chief Executive Officer(CEO) of Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) Mutual Fund. He succeeds Shri Raj Kumar. He has 35 years of experience across various sectors like insurance sector, private equity, life, pension and group superannuation scheme.He strategized the setting up of the new fund under SEBI AIF platform & directly raised 92 per cent of the base corpus. The fund is poised soon to exhaust the greenshoe option and close at Rs 1000 Cr.
- Name the former Indian cricketer, who has become the first woman to be appointed to ICC’s international panel of match referees.
1) GS Lakshmi
2) Deepa Marathe
3) Kalyani Dhokarikar
4) Manju Nadgoda
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) GS Lakshmi
A 51-year old former Indian cricketer GS Lakshmi became the first ever, female match referee, to be included into the International Cricket Council (ICC)’s International Panel of Match Referees. Earlier, Claire Polosak had become the first ever woman umpire to stand in a men’s ODI. Previously in 2008-2009, she officiated her first match in women’s domestic cricket and has also supervised 3 women’s One Day International (ODI) and 3 T20 International matches.
- Which country’s Non-resident panel of Supreme Court has appointed Justice Madan Bhimrao Lokur for 3 years?
2) Sri Lanka
4) New Zealand
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Fiji
Former Supreme Court judge, Justice Madan Bhimrao Lokur has been appointed to Supreme Court of Fiji’s non-resident panel for 3 years. He was invited by the Chief Justice of Fiji and received the appointment letter on December 31, 2018. Over the years, Fiji has also invited judges from other countries like Singapore, South Africa, Malaysia, New Zealand, Australia and Sri Lanka. Every year, the Supreme Court of Fiji conducts three sessions and Justice MB Lokur will be a part of August session which will begin on August 15 and conclude on August 30, 2019.He has rendered his service to the Indian Law Review (Delhi Series) as the Editor from February 1983.
- Who was appointed as the brand ambassador of Merchant service and UPI payments app BharatPe ?
1) Amitabh Bachchan
2) Shahrukh Khan
3) Aamir Khan
4) Salman Khan
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Salman Khan
Bollywood actor Salman Khan is signed as the brand ambassador of Merchant service and UPI payments app BharatPe.The new Campaign will be directed towards instructing merchants and users about UPI payments along with driving adoption of BharatPe app for all their business needs. The outdoor campaigns, radio, social media and in-app education initiatives are sponsored by fintech startup.BharatPe offers a single interface for all Unified Payments Interface (UPI) apps like Google Pay, BHIM, Mobikwik, Freecharge, Paytm, PhonePe, and others.
- Name the High-speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT) drone, which was recently test fired by Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO).
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) ABHYAS
On May 13, 2019, the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) has successfully conducted the flight test of ABHYAS, a High-speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT) drone which is to be used for autonomous flying with the help of an autopilot. The flight test was conducted from an Interim Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur, Odisha.
- What is the name of the mission to moon, that is set to be achieved by National Aeronautics and Space Organization(NASA) in the year 2024?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Artemis
On May 13, 2019, the US Space Agency announced that the National Aeronautics and Space Organization (NASA) is set for its Mission to Moon “Artemis” which is to be achieved by 2024. Earlier, its goal to achieve this feat was by 2028. The Mission is named ‘Artemis’ after the Greek mythological goddess of the Moon and twin sister to Apollo.
- Who has become the highest wicket-taking women spinner in One Day International (ODI) cricket recently?
1) Ellyse Perry
2) Suzie Bates
3) Sana Mir
4) Mithali Raj
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Sana Mir
A 33-year old, Pakistan’s off-spinner Sana Mir became the highest wicket-taking women spinner in One Day International (ODI) cricket. She had taken her 147th wicket against South Africa, the 3rd ODI of the ongoing International Cricket Council (ICC) Women’s Championship in Benoni, South Africa. In the overall ICC’s ODI bowling ranking in women’s cricket, she is placed at 3rd rank after Jhulan Goswami of India (218) and Australia’s Cathryn Fitzpatrick (180).
- Name the Indian racing driver, who won 2019 Formula 3 championship in Barcelona-Catalunya.
1) Narain Karthikeyan
2) Arjun Maini
3) Armaan Ebrahim
4) Jehan Daruvala
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Jehan Daruvala
On 12th May 2019, Mumbai based Indian racing driver Jehan Daruvala made his maiden victory in Race 2 during the 2019 FIA Formula 3 (F3) season in Barcelona-Catalunya. The Team Prema driver is the only Indian on the grid, completed on top after a dominant drive ahead of JuriVips and Niko Kari. FIA F3 Championship was created by merging the erstwhile GP3 Championship and FIA F3 European Championship.Jehan is the only Indian to win a Grand Prix when he won the New Zealand Grand Prix in 2017 and then went on to become the only Indian to win a race in the erstwhile FIA F3 European Championship, which used slower cars.
- Doris Day passed away recently, she belonged to which field?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Acting-Singing
On 13th May 2019, The Hollywood actor-singer Doris Day has died due to pneumonia in her home near Carmel Valley, California at the age of 97. She was born on 3 April 1922 in Cincinnati, Ohio, United States.She performed the title role in Calamity Jane (1953) and starred in Alfred Hitchcock’s The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) with James Stewart.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Brahmakalashothsava Festival 2019 is celebrated in which state?Karnataka
- Who is the Administrator of National Aeronautics and Space Organization(NASA)?Jim Bridenstine
- Where is the head quarter of International Cricket Council (ICC) located?Dubai, UAE
- What is the tagline of Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India(ICICI) Bank?“Hum Hai na”
- What is the Capital and Currency of Fiji?Capital: Suva & Currency: Fijian Dollar.