AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs May 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs May 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs April 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- What is the name of new ‘province’ in India that has claimed by Islamic State terror group, ISIS?
1) Wilayah of Levant
2) Wilayah of Hind
3) Wilayat Sinai
4) Wilayat Khorasan
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Wilayah of Hind
After the occurrence of clashes between militants and security forces in Kashmir on May 10, 2019, for the very first time ISIS, the Islamic State terror group has claimed to have established a new ‘province’ in India, termed as “Wilayah of Hind” (India Province) in Arabic. This has been announced through its Amaq News Agency. ISIS (The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, also known as the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria. Officially known as the Islamic State) did not speak about the Indian province’s geographical territory though.
- Who has led the Indian delegation during an official visit to Vietnam to enhance bilateral ties?
1) Sushma Swaraj
2) Ram Nath Kovind
3) Narendra Modi
4) M Venkaiah Naidu
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) M Venkaiah Naidu
In order to improve upon India’s strategic collaborative relationship with Vietnam, M Venkaiah Naidu, India’s Vice President went on a 4-day official visit to the Southeast Asian nation. He was invited by H.E. Ms. Dang Thi Ngoc Thinh, Vice President of Vietnam.
- Where was the 16th United Nations Day of Vesak held?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Vietnam
M Venkaiah Naidu held talks with the Vietnamese leaders and participated in the 16th United Nations Day of Vesak at Tam Chuc pagoda in Ha Nam, Vietnam’s northern province. This event globally attracted around 10,000 Buddhist followers, 1,500 religious dignitaries, researchers and scientists.Vesak, considered sacred to Buddhists, is celebrated to commemorate the birth of Buddha, His gaining of enlightenment and his demise.M Venkaiah Naidu’s participation at the event would strengthen the relation between the Indian and Buddhist communities globally.
- Name the Indian regulatory body, whose subsidiary Nabventures launched ‘NABVENTURES Fund I’ to provide support for agriculture, food and rural start-ups with capital investment of Rs 700-crore.
1) National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development(NABARD)
2) Reserve Bank of India(RBI)
3) Securities and Exchange Board of India(SEBI)
4) Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority(IRDAI)
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development(NABARD)
A subsidiary of NABARD (The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development), Nabventures notified its first time funding termed ‘NABVENTURES Fund I‘ which is a Rs 700-crore venture capital fund for equity investments to provide support for agriculture, food and rural start-ups (which would help improve rural livelihoods). The fund has a proposed corpus of Rs 500 crore, has a greenshoe option of Rs 200 crore and has received an anchor commitment from NABARD.The aforementioned fund is registered with SEBI as a Category II Alternative Investment Fund and would raise the resources from domestic and global investors.
- Which non-life insurance provider has launched a scheme termed ‘Mosquito Disease Protection Policy’ which will cover a person against common mosquito-borne diseases?
1) United India Insurance Company
2) HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company
3) Reliance General Insurance Company Limited
4) Aviva Life Insurance Company Limited
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company
India’s 3rd-largest non-life insurance provider in the private sector, HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company launched a scheme termed ‘Mosquito Disease Protection Policy’ which will cover a person against common mosquito-borne diseases, namely, Dengue Fever, Malaria, Chikungunya, Japanese Encephalitis, Kala-azar, Lymphatic Filariasis and Zika Virus.There has been a stark rise of 300% dengue cases in India between 2009-2017,according to the report published by National Health Profile 2018.These mosquito-borne diseases leads to financial burden due to hospitalisation or affects the No Claim Bonus of any conventional Health Insurance.
- Which country has recently commissioned two new Type 052D guided missile destroyers?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) China
On May 10, 2019, Chinese Navy has commissioned two new Type 052D guided missile destroyers in Dalian, a coastal city. They are the 19th and 20th ships in the class and are named as Tangshan and Suzhou. China, at present, has 20 Type 052Ds either in active service or to be launched for service soon. The destroyers are fast and warships are operated for long distances. In addition, they can be used to accompany the aircraft carriers.The newly developed Type 052D destroyers are the upgrades of its previous version Type 052C.The Type 052D destroyer is a large 7500 tone destroyer. It was introduced into the People’s Liberation Army Navy(PLAN) in March 2014.
- Name the Human Atlas Initiative that has been launched to understand the role of tissues and cell in the human body, by Department of Biotechnology (DBT).
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) MANAV
On May 10, 2019, Department of Biotechnology (DBT) launched MANAV- Human Atlas Initiative, to understand the role of tissues and cell in the human body. It is a collaborated project between Indian Institute of Science, Education and Research (IISER) Pune, Persistent Systems and the National Centre for Cell Science(NCCS). It was launched by the DBT Secretary, Dr. Renu Swarup. The MANAV team has invited the colleges and universities to register as teams for this project and work on them.The aim of the program is to understand human body at two stages- normal stage and disease stage.The project is funded by the Department of Biotechnology which has invested Rs. 13 crore shared between National Centre for Cell Science (NCCS) and Indian Institute of Science, Education and Research (IISER), Pune. In addition, Persistent Systems Limited has co-funded Rs. 7 crore.
- What is the name of the 100% recyclable plastic created by the U.S. Department of Energy‘s Lawrence Berkeley National Lab in California?
2) Polyethylene Terephthalate(PETE)
3) Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
4) Polypropylene (PP)
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Polydiketoenamine(PDK)
U.S. Department of Energy‘s Lawrence Berkeley National Lab in California created a new 100% recyclable plastic named Polydiketoenamine(PDK). This can be broken down and used without the loss of quality. It can be formed into a different shape and colour. Plastics are made of polymers, chains of hydrogen and carbons.The leader of this study is Peter Christensen. The research is published in the journal Nature Chemistry.The researchers discovered that the new PDK material has wide range of thermal and mechanical properties. It can be used in textiles, foams and 3D printed materials.
- Scientists from which university has created the World’s Smallest Colour Pixels by trapping the particles of light?
1) Oxford University
2) University of Cambridge
3) Harvard University
4) University College London
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) University of Cambridge
Scientists from the University of Cambridge, UK create the World’s Smallest Colour Pixels by trapping the particles of light under the tiny rocks of gold. These pixels can be used for new types of large-scale flexible displays and are big enough to cover entire buildings.Cambridge University Professor Jeremy J Baumberg led the research.These are the smallest pixels ever created and are smaller than the typical smart phone pixels.They are compatible with roll-to-roll fabrication on flexible plastic films which reduces their production cost.
- The entire genome of which animal has been sequenced by scientists from CSIR-Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Hyderabad?
1) African Cheetah
3) Royal Bengal tiger
4) Asiatic lion
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Asiatic lion
Scientists from Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)-Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Hyderabad have been sequenced the entire genome of the Asiatic lion for the first time.De novo sequencing and annotation have resulted in a draft assembly of the entire genome of a male Asiatic lion. The information obtained from sequencing would help to understand the evolution of Asiatic Lion. Comparative studies of royal Bengal tiger, African Cheetah and Jaguar would be possible with the complete genome of these big cats.
- Where was the new non-venomous ‘rain loving’ snake species named “SmithophisAtemporalis unearthed recently?
1) Madhya Pradesh
2) Andhra Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Mizoram
A group of Taxonomists have unearthed a new non-venomous ‘rain loving’ snake species named “SmithophisAtemporalis from Mizoram in North-east India. It was published in the taxonomic journal named Zootaxa. VaradGiri is the lead author of the paper.It has been named after eminent British herpetologist, Malcom A Smith, for his contribution to Indian herpetology.The locals commonly referred to the snake as ‘ruahlawmrul’, a rain-loving snake.Scientists considered the new genus as a part of the genus Rhabdops, which has two species – the Olive forest snake found in the Western Ghats and the bicoloured forest snake from northeast India.
- _______ edition of Indian Premier League (IPL) held from March 23 to May 12, 2019?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) 12th
The 12th edition of Indian Premier League (IPL) was played from March 23 to May 12, 2019. A total of 8 teams had participated in the event. The event lasted for 48 days and a total of 60 matches played in the whole tournament. The event was administered by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and hosted in India.
- Which team won the 12th edition of Indian Premier League (IPL) or IPL 2019?
1) Chennai Super Kings
2) Mumbai Indians
3) Delhi Capitals
4) Sunrisers Hyderabad
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Mumbai Indians
Mumbai Indians won their 4th IPL title after defeating Chennai Super Kings by 1 run at Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium, Hyderabad.
Rank Team Prize Money 1 Mumbai Indians Rs. 20 crore 2 Chennai Super Kings Rs. 12.5 crore 3 Delhi Capitals Rs. 8.75 crore 4 Sunrisers Hyderabad Rs. 8.75 crore
- Who won the Most Valuable Player award in Indian Premier League (IPL) 2019?
1) KL Rahul
2) Imran Tahir
3) David Warner
4) Andre Russell
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Andre Russell
Andre Russell from Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) won the most valuable player award. He got Rs 10 lakh cheque as prize money which was collected by Shubham Gill on this behalf.
- Which team won the Fairplay Award in Indian Premier League (IPL) 2019?
1) Mumbai Indians
2) Chennai Super Kings
3) Sunrisers Hyderabad
4) Delhi Capitals
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Sunrisers Hyderabad
Sunrisers Hyderabad has won the Fairplay award 2019. VVS Laxman had collected the trophy.
- Orange Cap is presented for honouring ______________?
1) Leading run scorer
2) Highest Wickest taker
3) Best Fielder
4) Team Player
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Leading run scorer
David Warner from Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) won the orange cap by scoring 692 runs in 12 matches. He got Rs 10 lakh cheque as price money.
- Name the oldest spinner, who won the purple cap in Indian Premier League (IPL) 2019.
1) Pragyan Ojha
2) Imran Tahir
3) Riyan Parag
4) Amit Mishra
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Imran Tahir
Imran Tahir from CSK became the oldest player to play in the IPL player. He also became the second spinner to win purple cap. The first spinner to do so was Pragyan Ojha.
- Where was the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) World Relays 2019 held recently?
1) Beijing, China
2) Jakarta, Indonesia
3) Dhaka, Bangladesh
4) Yokohama, Japan
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Yokohama, Japan
The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) World Relays 2019 was held in Yokohama, Japan from May 11 to 12, 2019. Total 43 nations participated in the two day event. The event was organised by International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF). The top 10 finishers in the IAAF World Relays 2019 in men’s and women’s 4×400 m relays event and top 12 finishers in mixed 4×400 m relays event have qualified for the IAAF World Athletics Championship which will going to held in Doha, Qatar from September 28 to October 6, 2019.
- Who has won the Spanish Grand Prix that held in Barcelona?
1) Charles Leclerc
2) Valtteri Bottas
3) Lewis Hamilton
4) Max Verstappen
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Lewis Hamilton
On May 12, 2019, Lewis Hamilton won the Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona. He celebrated the 76th win of his Formula 1 career, third victory of 2019 and fourth in Spain following victories in 2014, 2017 and 2018. This win took him back to the top spot of the world championship ranking with 112 points, ahead of Valtteri Bottas who is on 105 points.Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes) stood at the second spot while Max Verstappen (Red Bull) was third.
- Rahil Gangjee was in news recently, he belongs to which sport?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Golf
On 12th May 2019, Indian Professional golfer Rahil Gangjee finished tied 39th while 23-year-old Viraj Madappa faltered on the final day and ended tied 53rd at the Asia-Pacific Diamond Cup 2019.Japan’s Yosuke Asaji capped the title at the Sobu Country Club. Asaji’s winning total of three-under-par 281 also secured him a spot at The 148th Open which will be held at Royal Portrush, Northern Ireland in July 2019.Micah Lauren Shin of the USA shared second place with Japanese amateur RenYonezawa.New Zealand’s DanzelIeremia and Korea’s Y E Yang were tied for fourth place.Zimbabwean Scott Vincent achieved another top-10 by sharing sixth place with Korea’s Dongkyu Jang.
- Who won the Men’s Singles title in Mutua Madrid Open 2019?
2) Novak Djokovic
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Novak Djokovic
The Mutua Madrid Open 2019:
Winner Runner Up Men’s Singles Novak Djokovic (Serbia) Stefanostsitsipas (Greece) Men’s Doubles Horiatecau (Romania).
Dominic Thiem (Austria),
Diego Schwartzman( Argentina)
Women’s Singles Kiki Bertens (Netherlands) Simonahalep(Romania) Women’ Doubles Hsieh Su-Wei (Taiwan),
Gabriela Dabrowski (Canada)
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Who is the President of International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF)?Sebastian Coe
- What is the Capital and Currency of Spain?Capital: Madrid & Currency: Euro
- Who is the director of Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology?Rakesh Mishra
- Who is the President of China?Xi Jinping
- Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium is located in which state?Hyderabad, Telangana