AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs May 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs May 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs April 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
Questions Based on Current Affairs May 1 2019
- Which ministry has constituted a committee to implement the National Clean Air Program (NCAP) recently?
1) Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
2) Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC)
3) Ministry of New and Renewable Energy
4) Ministry of Rural Development
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC)
Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) has constituted a committee to implement the National Clean Air Program (NCAP). The objective is to reduce the PM (particulate matter) 2.5 and PM 10 concentration by 20% to 30% in at least 102 cities by 2024. The committee will be headed by the Secretary, Union Environment Ministry. The headquarters of the committee will be in New Delhi.The other members of the committee will be Joint Secretary (Thermal), Ministry of Power; Director General, The Energy Resources Institute (TERI) and Professor Sachidananda Tripathi, IIT Kanpur.The 102 cities, across 23 states and Union Territories will be identified by the Central Pollution Control Board (CBCB). The selection criteria will be based on their ambit air quality data between 2011 and 2015. The NCAP is envisioned as a five-year action plan with 2019 as the first year. There would be a review every five years.
- Name the Indo-French(India & France) bilateral naval exercise that held in the Arabian sea of Goa coast.
1) Varuna 19.1
2) Konkan 19.1
3) Corpat 19.1
4) Simbex 19.1
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Varuna 19.1
India and France will be holding their bilateral naval exercise, Varuna 19.1 rabian Sea off the Goa coast from 1st May to 10th May, 2019.In this 17th edition of the Indo-French naval exercise, the participants are: the French Navy’s aircraft carrier FNS Charles de Gaulle 2 destroyers, FNS Forbin, FNS Provence the frigate FNS Latouche-Treville the tanker FNS Marne a nuclear submarine from the Indian side, the aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya destroyer INS Mumbai the Teg-class frigate, INS Tarkash the Shishumar- class submarine, INS Shankul the Deepak- class fleet tanker, INS Deepak.The exercise will be conducted in 2 phases, stated as follows: The harbour phase: This exercise will be conducted at Goa and would include cross-visits, professional interactions, sports events and discussions. The sea phase: This exercise would comprise various exercises of the maritime operations. The 2nd part of the naval exercise, Varuna 19.2, will be held at May-end in Djibouti.
- Which of the following city has set a new Guinness World Record for the number of national flags raised in a city for 24 hours?
1) Abu Dhabi
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Beirut
Lebanon’s capital Beirut has set a new Guinness World Record for the number of national flags raised in a city for 24 hours.The Beirut Alive Association in the national capital raised a total of 26,852 Lebanese flags breaking New York’s Waterloo record of 25,599 flags.
- Pakistan Air Force ‘s (PAF) retaliatory action against India on February 27 will be observed as ______________?
1) Operation Maitri
2) Operation Blue Star
3) Operation Trishul
4) Operation Swift Retort
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Operation Swift Retort
The Pakistan Air Force announced that they will observe its retaliatory action against India on February 27 against the Balakot strike of Indian Air Force as ‘Operation Swift Retort’.The Indian air strikes at Balakot terror camp on February 26 was response of Pakistan based Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) attack by a suicide bomber in Pulwama that killed 40 CRPF jawans.In response to Indian attack, Pakistan Air Force (PAF) retaliated and captured IAF Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman who was released by Pakistan on March 1.
- Which public sector bank, has become the first bank in the country that has linked its deposit accounts and short term loans to an external benchmark?
1) State Bank of India (SBI)
2) Canara Bank
3) Indian Bank
4) Bank of Baroda
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) State Bank of India (SBI)
India’s largest bank State Bank of India (SBI) has moved to a new interest rate regime on large savings account deposits with balance above Rs 1 lakh as well as short-term loans like overdraft and cash credit. In March 2019, SBI has announced that it will link its interest rate on large savings account deposits and short term loans to RBI’s repo rate which would be effective from May 1, 2019.By this move, SBI became the first bank in the country which has linked deposit accounts and short term loans to an external benchmark.Currently, repo rate is 6%. So according to external benchmarking formula, the large savings account with balance above Rs 1 lakh earn less interest rate as compare to small savings account. However, if the repo rate increases and goes above 6.25% then large savings account will earn more interest rate than small savings account.
- Name the Ship building and repairing company, which has signed a contract with defence ministry to build eight anti-submarine warfare shallow water crafts (ASWSWCs) for Indian Navy at the cost of Rs 6311.30 crore.
1) Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
2) Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Ltd.
3) Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited
4) Goa Shipyard
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Ltd.
Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers (GRSE) Ltd. has signed a contract with defence ministry to build eight anti-submarine warfare shallow water crafts (ASWSWCs) for Indian Navy at the cost of Rs 6311.30 crore.The first ship will be delivered to the Indian Navy in 42 months and subsequently, two ships will be required to deliver per year and the time of completion of the project will be 84 months.These vessels will have a deep displacement of 750 tonnes and speed of 25 knots and also capable of full-scale subsurface surveillance of coastal waters. It will also be capable of destroying subsurface targets in coastal waters.
- Which Non profit association has entered a strategic partnership with GE Healthcare to enhance digital healthcare solutions?
1) Internet and Mobile Association of India(IAMAI)
2) Confederation of Indian Industry(CII)
3) National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM)
4) Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry(FICCI)
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM)
IT industry body, The National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) has entered a strategic partnership with GE Healthcare. The objective is to bring digital healthcare solutions to the market. NASSCOM has announced this partnership through its Centre of Excellence-Internet of Things (CoE-IoT).This partnership will also help to flourish the health-tech start-up ecosystem in the country which further help in co-creating solutions for real-world healthcare challenges in the areas of digital applications for early detection, productivity solutions and remote and connected care among others.
- Environmental lawyer Alfred Brownell won Goldman Environmental Prize 2019,he belongs to which country?
2) North Macedonia
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Liberia
The Goldman Environmental Foundation honoured 6 recipients of the 2019 with the world’s eminent award for grassroots environmental activists, the Goldman Environmental Prize.
Name of recipient Country Environmental work Bayarjargal Agvaantseren Mongolia Bayarjargal Agvaantseren helped to create the 1.8 million-acre Tost Tosonbumba Nature
Reserve (in the South Gobi Desert) which is a critical habitat for the vulnerable snow leopard. She also persuaded the Mongolian government to take actions against mining within
Alfred Brownell Liberia Environmental lawyer Alfred Brownell stopped the
clear-cutting of Liberia’s tropical forests by palm oil plantation developers. His effective
campaign helped to save 5,13,500 acres of primary forest. He was under violent threats during the entire noble campaign and now, for his safety, he is living in temporary exile in
the United States.
Ana Colovic Lesoska North Macedonia Ana Colovic Lesoska protected the habitat of the nearly-extinct Balkan lynx (a wild cat with yellowish-brown fur found mostly in the northern latitudes of North America and Eurasia) by leading a 7-year campaign to chop off international funding for
2 large hydropower plants to be constructed inside North Macedonia’s Mavrovo National Park.
- Who ascended the throne, ushering in the Reiwa era after his father Akihito abdicated?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Naruhito
On 30th April 2019, The 125th Emporer of Japan, 85-year-old, Emporer Emeritus Akihito abdicated after 30 years of ruling because of his declining health and age-related problems. His rule was known as Heisei. While his son Emporer Naruhito, 59 -year-old succeeded the Chrysanthemum Throne on 1 May 2019, ushering in the Reiwa era. This is the first time Japan’s modern History that the country has both an Emporer and Emeritus. Emperor Akihito Of Japan Celebrates His 81st BirthdayThe ‘Ceremony of the Abdication’ took place in a state room of the Imperial Palace, Tokyo, Japan. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, Crown Prince Naruhito, and Crown Princess Masako were present in the function. Akihito is the first Japanese Emporer to abdicate since Kokaku in 1817.
- B.V.P. Rao has resigned from which Sports governing body recently?
1) Archery Association of India (AAI)
2) Cycling Federation of India
3) Fencing Association of India
4) Rowing Federation of India
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Archery Association of India (AAI)
On 1 May 2019, Archery Association of India (AAI) President B.V.P. Rao resigned after the Supreme Court’s ruling to set aside the constitution of the national body of the sport as amended by Delhi High Court-appointed administrator S.Y. Quraishi. The new election for AAI is expected to be held within four weeks.Justices AM Khanwilkar and Ajay Rastogi ordered that fresh elections be held for Archery Association of India within four weeks.The new Indian archer’s administrative committee is expected to be constituted before the marquee World Championship from June 10.On December 22, 2018, Rao was elected as AAI president through the elections held under the supervision of Quraishi. He replaced Vijay Kumar Malhotra.
- Name the International organization of India that has partnered with BGI-Shenzhen, China to develop resistant to vagaries of weather conditions.
1) Indian Council of Agricultural Research
2) International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics’ (ICRISAT)
3) Central Research Institute for Dryland Agriculture
4) International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics’ (ICRISAT)
The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics’ (ICRISAT) team partnered with the BGI-Shenzhen, China, involving 39 scientists from 21 research institutes worldwide, notified that scientists have successfully completed the largest-ever exercise of entire-genome re-sequencing of chickpea, by sequencing 429 chickpea lines from 45 nations to identify genes that are resistant to various extreme factors. The study has been published in Nature Genetics online with the title, “Resequencing of 429 chickpea accessions from 45 countries provides insights into genome diversity, domestication and agronomic traits“. The objective of this sequencing for the agricultural community will cater to the successful development of newer varieties of chickpea with better and large-scale production, with a yield that is tolerant to disease, pest, drought, heat (up to 38 degree Celsius ) and variable weather conditions. This will thus contribute to the sustainability of agricultural development in the developing countries.
- Indian Army mountaineering expedition team has sited mysterious footprints of which mythical creature near Makalu Base Camp, located in North-Eastern Himalayas?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Yeti
On 30th April 2019, The official Twitter account of the Indian Army’s Additional Directorate General of Public Information tweeted that an Indian Army mountaineering expedition team has sited mysterious footprints of mythical himalayan beast “Yeti” measuring 32×15 inches (81 centimeters by 38 centimeters) close to Makalu Base Camp,located in North-Eastern Himalayas on 09 April 2019. The yeti also known as Abominable Snowman or Asian Bigfoot is a giant ape-like creature often figures in South Asian folklore. Yetis are believed to weigh anywhere between 91 to 181 kilograms with a height of above 6 feet.
- Judge and Civil Rights Icon Damon J. Keith passed away recently, he hailed from which country?
1) United Kingdom
4) United States
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) United States
On 28th April 2019, United States Sixth Circuit Judge, Damon Jerome Keith, a grandson of slaves passed away at the age of 96 in Detroit, the city where the prominent lawyer was appointed in 1967 to the US District Court. He served on the Sixth Circuit for over 40 years.He was born on 4 July 1922 in Detroit, Michigan, United States.Keith served more than 50 years in the federal courts, and before his death still heard cases about four times a year at the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati.
- Name the UAE Minister of Tolerance, who was gifted with the coffee table book titled “Work of Beauty: Architecture and Landscape of Rashtrapati Bhawan” recently.
1) K.K. Kan’goma Kapijimpanga
2) Sheikh Nahayan Mubarak Al Nahayan
3) Ahmed Al Banna
4) H.E. Mariam Saeed Hareb Al Mehairi
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Sheikh Nahayan Mubarak Al Nahayan
Ambassador Navdeep Suri presented UAE Minister of Tolerance Sheikh Nahayan Mubarak Al Nahayan with the Coffee Table book on “Work of Beauty: Architecture and Landscape of Rashtrapati Bhawan”, which has been published by Publications Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.The book was commissioned by President’s Secretariat and Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA), Ministry of Culture, Government of India.UAE Minister had visited the India Pavilion of the ongoing Abu Dhabi International Book Fair 2019. India is the ‘Guest of Honour’ at the Book Fair.
- What was the theme of the International Labour Day 2019?
1) Theme – “Celebrating the International Labour Movement”
2) Theme – “Uniting Workers for Social and Economic Advancement”
3) Theme – “Sustainable Pension for all: The Role of Social Partners”
4) Theme – “Create peace, solidarity and decent work”
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Theme – “Sustainable Pension for all: The Role of Social Partners”
International Labour Day or Workers day is observed annually on 1 May, It is also known as May Day.The day was promoted by the international labour movement, socialists and communists.The theme of International Labour Day 2019 is “Sustainable Pension for all: The Role of Social Partners”. In India, the first Labour Day was celebrated on 1 May 1923 in Madras by Labour Kisan Party of Hindustan. Labour Day is also called Antarrashtriya Shramik Diwas or Kamgar Din in India.Workers day is observed to commemorate the happenings of May 4, 1886, the Haymarket affair (Haymarket Massacre) in Chicago.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- What is the Capital and Currency of Japan?Capital: Tokyo & Currency: Japanese yen
- Where is the headquarter of Dredging Corporation of India Limited (DCIL)?Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
- Who is the Secretary-General of International Maritime Organization?Kitack Lim
- Where is the headquarter of National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) located?Noida, U.P.
- What is the tagline of State Bank of India (SBI)?With you all the way
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification