AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs March 8 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019
- Current Affairs March 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs February 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
Click Here to Read Current Affairs March 8 2019
- Union Cabinet approved the construction of Kiru Hydroelectric Project (624MW) in which of the following state with an estimated cost of Rs.4287.59 crore?
2) West Bengal
3) Jammu and Kashmir
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Jammu and Kashmir
Cabinet approved the Investment in construction of Kiru Hydroelectric Project (624MW) by M/s Chenab Valley Power Projects Private Limited (M/s CVPPL) in Jammu and Kashmir with an estimated cost of Rs.4287.59 crore.
- Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi,approved the ‘Flood Management and Border Areas Programme (FMBAP) for the period of 2017-18 to 2019-20 with an outlay of Rs._________?
1) Rs. 3242 crore
2) Rs. 3342 crore
3) Rs. 3142 crore
4) Rs. 3442 crore
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Rs. 3342 crore
Cabinet approved the ‘Flood Management and Border Areas Programme (FMBAP) for Flood Management Works in entire country, river management activities and works related to Border areas for the period of 2017-18 to 2019-20 with an outlay of Rs. 3342 crore.
- Union Cabinet has approved the proposal for creation of the Post of Technical member in which of the following statutory body?
1) National Human Rights Commission
2) National Commission for Backward Classes
3) National Law Commission
4) Securities Appellate Tribunal (SAT)
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Securities Appellate Tribunal (SAT)
Cabinet has approved the proposal for creation of the Post of Technical member in Securities Appellate Tribunal (SAT), Mumbai which will facilitate creation of an additional bench in SAT for speedy disposal of appeals.
- Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, approved the MoU between India and which of the following country on Cancer Research Initiative?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) U.K
The Union Cabinet approved the MoU between India and U.K. on Cancer Research Initiative which was signed on 14th November 2018.It will identify a core set of research challenges that address issues of affordability, prevention and care of cancer by bringing together leading Indian and UK experts across clinical research, demographic research, new technologies and physical sciences. The initiative will provide funding to develop new research alliances and undertake impactful research to enable significant progress against cancer outcomes. Over the period of 5 years, the total research funding for the Initiative shall be £10 million (approx. Rs. 90 crores) in which Cancer Research UK (CRUK)’s will be funding £5 million (approx. Rs. 45 crores) and India’s Department of Biotechnology (DBT) will fund the remaining £5 million.
- India and Germany signed MOU in which of the following field?
1) Civil and Commercial Matters
2) Occupational Safety and Health
3) Road Infrastructure Sector
4) Cancer Research Initiative
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Occupational Safety and Health
The Union cabinet approved the MoU between India and Germany on Cooperation in the field of Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) which was renewed on 13th November 2018. The collaboration has greatly helped in adopting the modern training techniques and tools on various aspects of OSH in different sectors of economic activity. Under the MoU, German Social Accident Insurance (DGUV) through the International Social Security Association (ISSA) is bringing in know how to meet the OSH challenges, especially in the construction and manufacturing sector. It will benefit the large work force by improving their safety and health, and preventing occupational injuries and diseases. The cooperation is expected to result in capacity building of Directorate General Factory Advice Service and Labour Institutes (DGFASLI), the technical arm and attached office of Ministry of Labour, India & Chief Inspector of Factories Officers (CIFs) in the field of OSH, Strengthening of Inspection system for meeting emerging challenges, upgradation of laboratories for carrying out applied research in the area of OSH, Development of OSH Standards and development in Safety Culture for enhancing the well-being of the Indian workforce.
- Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi,approved the MoU between Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) and Civil Service Council of which of the following country to share experience and expertise of both the parties in the area of recruitment?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Mongolia
The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) and Civil Service Council of Mongolia (CSCM) aimed at strengthening the existing relationship between them.It will facilitate sharing of experience and expertise of both the parties in the area of recruitment.
- During state visit to Tamil Nadu,Prime Minister Narendra Modi,renamed Chennai Central Railway Station after which of the following leader?
3) MG Ramachandran
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) MG Ramachandran
PM Modi launched various National Highway projects, including the foundation stone for the four laning of NH-45C from Vikravandi to Thanjavur and the six laning of Karaipettai – Walajapet section of NH-4. He dedicated the 5 MMTPA capacity Ennore LNG Terminal to the nation. The Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) terminal will help in meeting the LNG demand in Tamil Nadu and neighboring states. He also dedicated the electrification of Erode-Karur-Tiruchchirapalli and Salem-Karur-Dindigul railway lines to the nation. He announced that the Chennai Central Railway Station would be renamed after former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister MG Ramachandran. He also unveiled the statue of Dr. MG Ramachandran at Dr. MGR Janaki College of Arts & Science for Women, Chennai through video link.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled the new series of visually impaired friendly coins in New Delhi recently.Which of the following denomination is not a part of it?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Rs.100
Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled the new series of visually impaired friendly coins of in the denominations of Re 1, Rs 2, Rs 5, Rs 10 and Rs 20 at an event held in New Delhi where visually impaired children were specially invited. All the new series coins will be issued for circulation only through the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in terms of the RBI Act. The exact date of issuance of new series coins is yet to be announced. The new 20 rupee coin isn’t in a circular shape unless every other new series of coins released today. New Rs 20 coin is in polygon shape of 12 edges with a design of grains denoting the agricultural dominance of the country.The outer ring the new 20 rupee coin is made up of nickel silver and the central piece is made of nickel brass. The outside diameter of the new Rs 20 coin is 2.7 centimetres and the weight of the new Rs 20 coin is about 8.54 grams.
- Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) along with National Health Authority (NHA) form a working group to curb fraud in Ayushman Bharat scheme.Who is appointed as the head of the working group?
1) Jawad Rafique Malik
2) Suresh Mathur
3) Dinesh Arora
4) Subhash Chandra Khuntia
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Dinesh Arora
The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) and National Health Authority (NHA) have formed a joint working group (JWG) in order to suggest ways for more effective implementation of the Centre’s Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY).The group would comprise of 11 members.It will be headed by Dinesh Arora, Deputy CEO of NHA and co-headed by Suresh Mathur, Executive Director of IRDAI.The group shall prepare a report on management of hospitals under the scheme, data management and exchange, development of IT infrastructure for claims.12 months will be given to submit a report on a national repository of empanelled hospitals under insurance/government schemes. with defined standards for quality and package rates and codes.The group will get 3 months to submit a report on data standardisation and exchange.In 6 months it would have to make recommendations to detect and avoid frauds by building a common repository and through capacity-building.
- Labour Ministry of India signed MOU with Safety in Mines,Testing and Research Station (SIMTARS)of which of the following country for cooperation in occupational safety?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Australia
On 7th March 2019, Directorate General of Mines Safety (DGMS) signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Safety in Mines, Testing and Research Station (SIMTARS), Australia for cooperation in occupational safety.The MoU was signed between Shri Utpal Singh on behalf of Ministry of Labour and Employment and Shri Gitesh Agrawal on behalf of SIMTARS, Australia.MoU was aimed at exploring new opportunities in the area of occupational safety, health and welfare of persons engaged in mining operations.Nowadays the availability of minerals has become difficult and miners have to go deeper, due to which new technologies are required for the safety of workers.
- French Space Agency CNES and ISRO signed an agreement in Bengaluru, to develop which of the following system?
1) Laboratory for Electro-Optics Systems (LEOS)
2) ISRO Inertial System
3) National Remote Sensing System
4) Space-based maritime surveillance system
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Space-based maritime surveillance system
The president of French space agency CNES (Centre national d’études spatiales), Jean-Yves Le Gall and K Sivan, Chairman of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), signed an agreement in Bengaluru, to implement the short-term plan for the French-Indian programme to develop a space-based maritime surveillance system. The CNES-ISRO agreement, intended to supply an operational system for detecting, identifying and tracking ships in the Indian Ocean, provides for a maritime surveillance centre to be set up in India in May 2019.
- Which of the following state government launched Yuvashree Arpan scheme for financially assisting young entrepreneurs with Rs 1 Lakh?
2) Andhra Pradesh
3) West Bengal
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) West Bengal
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee launched a new scheme called Yuvashree Plan II or Yuvashree Arpan under which 50,000 youths will receive financial assistance of Rs 1 lakh for setting up an their own business initiatives.Youngsters passing out of Industrial training institute (ITI) or other polytechnic institute will be eligible to get financial support from the micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) department.The Chief Minister on this occasion also laid foundation stone of various developmental projects including the first Hindi university in West Bengal in Arupara, Howrah district and Rs 1,488 crore drinking water project at Purba Medinipur that will benefit more than 12 lakh people.Foundation stone of projects worth Rs 1,071 crore including drinking water project that would benefit more than 8 lakh people inaugurated Bankura.She announced that the Health and Family Welfare department office would be set up on three acre land beside Nabanna.She also inaugurated nearly 217 projects worth more than Rs 1,300 crore at the programme.
- United Bank of India has signed a bancassurance deal with which of the following insurance company to provide the facilities of life insurance products to its customers?
1) HDFC Life
2) Life Insurance Corporation of India
3) ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Co. Ltd.
4) SBI Life Insurance Co. Ltd.
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) HDFC Life
United Bank of India has signed a bancassurance deal with HDFC Life. United Bank of India aims to provide the facilities of life insurance products to its customers through HDFC Life. This is the third PSU bank tie-up this year for HDFC Life.They aim to utilise each other’s customer base to spread their mutual business.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation & Development (OECD) forecast the global economy growth rate to ______% in 2019?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) 3.3%
The Organisation for Economic Co-Operation & Development (OECD) has cut the forecasts for the global economy in 2019 and 2020, owing to trade disputes and uncertainty over Brexit that would largely affect the world commerce and businesses.The interim outlook report by OECD predicts the growth rate of 3.3% for 2019 and 3.4% for 2020, which is 0.2% and 0.1% lesser respectively as compared to the November 2018 forecasts,The forecasted growth rate for Germany in 2019 is 0.7%, down from previous 1.6%. A growth rate of 1.1% is expected for 2020.Personal income in USA had fallen for the first time in more than three years in January while consumer spending dropped the most since 2009 in December.
- Which country announced a complete ban on import of solid plastic waste/scrap recently?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) India
The government of India,has put a complete ban on import of solid plastic waste/scrap into the country.Import of plastic was earlier partly banned as it was prohibited in special economic zones (SEZ) but allowed by Export-Oriented units (EOUs) who would obtain it from other countries in the form of post-recycling resources .This complete prohibition has been done by amendment of Hazardous Waste (Management & Trans-boundary Movement) Rules on March 1.The rule is a part of India’s aim to completely phase out single-use plastic by 2022.A study by Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) states that 10,376 tonnes (40%) out of the 25,940 tonnes of plastic waste per day remains uncollected in the country.
- Name the airport,that won the Airport Service Quality (ASQ) award for being the best airport in size and region (2-5 million passengers in Asia-Pacific) for the year 2018?
1) Rajiv Gandhi International Airport
2) Kempegowda International Airport
3) Biju Patnaik International Airport (BPIA)
4) Indira Gandhi International Airport
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Biju Patnaik International Airport (BPIA)
Biju Patnaik International Airport (BPIA) in Bhubaneswar won the Airport Service Quality (ASQ) award for being the best airport in size and region (2-5 million passengers in Asia-Pacific) for the year 2018. It has been chosen for the award by the Airports Council International. ii. Chandigarh Airport, Devi Ahilyabai Holkar Airport in Indore, SM Badaruddin II Airport in Indonesia, SS Kasim II Airport in Indonesia and Yichang Sanxia Airport in China were also chosen for the award. iii. The award is given on the basis of independent survey among passengers on the parameters of security, safety, experience, ambience, ease of availability and cleanliness.
- Who was appointed as the Chief Scientist of the World Health Organisation (WHO)?
1) Soumya Swaminathan
2) Assad Hafeez
3) Saleh Banoita Tourab
4) Alejandro Svarch
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Soumya Swaminathan
Soumya Swaminathan who is currently a Deputy Director-General of the World Health Organisation (WHO) has been appointed as the Chief Scientist of the World Health Organisation (WHO). She used to be one of the 3 Deputy Director-General assisting Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.The Chief Scientist is a newly created position and division.This new division is the Department of Digital Health, in the Division of the Chief Scientist. She will oversee the digital work and help the department in assessing digital technologies, and help countries in deciding as to how to to prioritise, integrate and regulate them.
- Ajit Kumar Mohanty is appointed as the Director of which of the following organization?
1) National Atmospheric Research Laboratory
2) Bhabha Atomic Research Centre
3) Indian Space Research Organisation
4) National Aeronautics and Space Administration
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Bhabha Atomic Research Centre
On 6th March 2019, Ajit Kumar Mohanty, a distinguished scientist was appointed as the Director of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) by the Ministry of Personnel.Currently, he holds the position of Director of Physics Group, BARC and Director of Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics.His tenure would last for a period of three years.
- Who was appointed as the Ambassador of India to Saudi Arabia recently?
1) Vinay Kumar
2) Satbir Singh
3) Srikumar Menon
4) Ausaf Sayeed
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Ausaf Sayeed
The present High Commissioner of India to the Republic of Seychelles, Dr. Ausaf Sayeed has been appointed as the next ambassador of India to Saudi Arabia by the Ministry of External Affairs.He has been appointed in the place of Ahmad Javed, who had been the envoy to Saudi Arabia since December 2015.He is an Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer of the 1989 batch.He had earlier held the positions of Ambassador to Yemen and Consul General of India in Chicago and Jeddah.
- Governor Kummanam Rajasekharan resigns from his post recently.He was the Governor of which of the following state?
1) Tamil Nadu
4) Himachal Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Mizoram
On 8th March 2019, the Governor of Mizoram, Kummanam Rajasekharan has resigned from his post and might be fielded as the BJP candidate from the Thiruvananthapuram Lok Sabha constituency. His resignation has been accepted by the President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind. The Governor of Assam, Jagdish Mukhi has been appointed in his place temporarily.
- Name the app launched by Hardeep S Puri,Minister of Housing and Urban Affairs to make all the three modules – Conversion, Substitution and Mutation online?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) e-Dharti
On 7th March 2019, Hardeep S Puri, Minister of Housing and Urban Affairs launched e-Dharti App to make all the three modules – Conversion, Substitution and Mutation online.e-Dharti GeoPortal was also launched by Hardeep Puri to allow the lessee of the property to see the basic details of property along with its location on map.Government will be able to know the actual status of its vacant properties through the App.The Payment system in Land and Development Office (L&DO) has been digitized and now, public can submit their application online through L&DO website.
- PM-STIAC (Prime Minister’s Science, Technology and Innovation Advisory Council) announces how many missions of national importance in the field of artificial intelligence, quantum computing, electric vehicles and deep ocean exploration recently?
5) TwelveAnswer – 4) Nine
9 missions of national importance have been unveiled by the Prime Minister’s Science, Technology and Innovation Advisory Council (PMSTIAC). These missions cover important fields such as artificial intelligence, quantum computing, electric vehicles and deep ocean exploration. PMSTIAC was constituted in October 2018. The head of the council is Vijay Raghavan and other members are- NITI Aayog member VK Saraswat, former ISRO Chairman AS Kiran Kumar, Field Medal-winning mathematician Manjul Bhargava and Indian National Science Academy President Ajay Kumar Sood.Quantum Frontier mission aims to strengthen quantum technologies such as quantum computing, quantum cryptology and quantum communication and will be headed by the Department of Science and Technology (DST).Mission on Artificial Intelligence (AI) shall focus on developing applications and will be headed by the NITI Aayog.A mission on harnessing bioscience for improving health of Indians shall be headed by the Department of Biotechnology and Department of Health Research.A mission on developing cost-friendly and energy-efficient electric vehicles by developing light and efficient batteries, vehicle sub-systems and components suitable for Indian conditions, including rare-earth based electric motors has been adopted.A mission which aims to scour the deep ocean will be headed by The Ministry of Earth Sciences.Rest of the missions involve creating wealth from waste, conserving biodiversity, building an innovation ecosystem for start-ups and using a combination of machine and human translation techniques to help Indian students who are not well-versed in English language access scientific knowledge.
- Beresheet spacecraft, which is in news recently, is from which country?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Israel
An Israeli spacecraft on its maiden mission to the moon has sent its first selfie back to Earth. The image showing part of the Beresheet spacecraft with Earth in the background was beamed to mission control in Yehud, Israel – 37,600 kilometres (23,360 miles) away. The partners, NGO SpaceIL and state-owned Israel Aerospace Industries, launched the unmanned Beresheet – Hebrew for Genesis – from Cape Canaveral in Florida on February 22. The 585-kilogram (1,290-pound) craft took off atop a Falcon 9 rocket from the private US-based SpaceX company of entrepreneur Elon Musk.
- Who became the 61st Chess Grandmaster of India?
1) Abhijeet Gupta
2) Iniyan Panneerselvam
3) Krishnan Sasikiran
4) Pentala Harikrishna
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Iniyan Panneerselvam
16-year-old Iniyan Panneerselvam from Erode, Tamil Nadu, won at the Noisiel Open in France by defeating GM (Grand Master) Sergey Fedorchuk of Ukraine in the sixth round and became the 61st Grandmaster for India crossing 2500 points in ELO ratings.India’s first Chess Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand congratulated him on his achievement via Twitter.
- Daniel Rudisha, a former teacher who became a Kenyan coach died following a cardiac arrest recently.He belongs to which of the following sport?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Athletics
Daniel Rudisha, a former teacher who became a Kenyan athletics coach died following a cardiac arrest in Nakuru, Northwest of Nairobi on 6th March 2019. He was a member of Silver medal winning quartet of Kenya at the 1968 Mexico Olympics.
- Name the 21st Lt Governor of Puducherry and former Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee (PPCC) chief,who passed away at the age of 88 years?
1) Ram Kishore Vyas
2) B.D. Jatti
3) Virendra Kataria
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Virendra Kataria
The 21st Lt Governor of Puducherry and former Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee (PPCC) chief, Virendra Kataria, passed away at the age of 88 years.He belonged from Abohar, Punjab and is survived by his son and a daughter.Puducherry lieutenant governor Kiran Bedi condoled his death and paid her respects.
- What was the theme of the International Women’s Day,which is observed on March 8,2019?
1) Theme – “Time is Now: Rural and urban activists transforming women’s lives”
2) Theme – “Women in the Changing World of Work: Planet 50-50 by 2030”
3) Theme – “Planet 50-50 by 2030: Step It Up for Gender Equality”
4) Theme – “Think equal, build smart, innovate for change”
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Theme – “Think equal, build smart, innovate for change”
The International Women’s Day was observed on 8th March 2019. The theme for this year is Think equal, build smart, innovate for change. On this occasion, a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed the Women and Child Development Ministry and the Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Ministry, which aims to impart skill-training and employment to women.The WCD Ministry will involve RMK (Rashtriya Mahila Kosh) to get majority of women to join the Mahila e haat- a digital platform for selling products that are made by women.The MoU shall be valid for 3 years and will be jointly implemented by Rashtriya Mahila Kosh and the National Skill Development Council.Nari Shakti Puraskar 2018 was presented by President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind in New Delhi.It has been awarded to a One Stop Centre (OSC) and to a state which has shown exceptional progress in improving child sex ratio at birth under the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao scheme.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- What is the Capital and Currency of Mongolia?Capital – Ulaanbaatar and Currency – Mongolian tögrög
- Who is the President of France?Emmanuel Macron
- What is the Capital and Currency of Austria?Capital – Vienna and Currency – Euro
- Who is the Prime Minister of Bhutan?Lotay Tshering
- Where is the headquarter of ISRO located?Bengaluru
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification