AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs January 8 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019
- Current Affairs Today
- Current Affairs January 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs December 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs 2018 PDF
- Union Cabinet approved what per cent quota in jobs and educational institutions for economically weaker sections in general category, on January 7, 2019?
1) 20 %
2) 15 %
3) 10 %
4) 7.5 %
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 10 %
On January 7, 2019, the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved 10 pc quota in jobs and educational institutions for economically weaker sections in general category. For the implementation of the quota, Articles 15 and 16 of the Constitution will have to be amended. This would be availed by those whose annual income is below Rs 8 lakh and have up to five acres of land. The quota will be over and above the existing 50 per cent reservation.
- Union Government has allocated _____ rupees for the development of 40 satellite launch vehicles in the next 4 years, as announced by Dr K Sivan, Chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)?
1) Rs 12,540 crore
2) Rs 10,900 crore
3) Rs 13,678 crore
4) Rs 15,243 crore
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Rs 10,900 crore
Dr K Sivan, Chairman, Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) announced at a ceremony organized by St Joseph’s College, Trichy, Tamilnadu which is celebrating its 175 anniversary that the Union Government has allocated 10,900 crore rupees for the development of 40 satellite launch vehicles in the next four years. He also informed that the Chandrayan-2 Mission will be launched within three months and It will land in one of those part of the Moon which is still unexplored. He also said that the human space flight Gaganyaan is planned to be launched by 2022, on the occasion of 75th anniversary of Independence. He also stated that the next year ISRO will be organising the Centenary year celebrations of ISRO founder Dr Vikram Sarabhai in which ISRO will rededicate itself to become a world class organization, capable of addressing the varied socio economic challenges of the nation. He said that Space Technology Incubation Centres will be set up in different parts of the country, including Trichy as a part of the celebrations.
- Name the bill cleared by Union Cabinet to provide Indian citizenship to non-Muslims from Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Pakistan, on 7th January 2019?
1) Citizenship Amendment Bill
2) Nationality Approval Amendment Bill
3) Immigration Amendment Bill
4) Immigrants Support Amendment Bill
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Citizenship Amendment Bill
On January 7, 2019, the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi cleared the redrafted Citizenship Amendment Bill thus providing Indian citizenship to non-Muslims from Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Pakistan. First introduced in Parliament in 2016, the bill seeks to amend the Citizenship Act 1955. It enables grant of Indian nationality to people from minority communities — Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains, Parsis and Christians— from Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan after six years of residence in India instead of 12 even if they don’t possess any proper document. This would, however, nullify the 1985 Assam Accord under which any foreign national, irrespective of religion, who had entered the state after 1971 should be deported.
- Human Resource Development (HRD) ministry has introduced a ____ point grading index to assess the quality of school education offered by states?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 70
The Union Minister of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Shri Prakash Javadekar stated that the HRD ministry has introduced a 70-point grading index to assess the quality of school education offered by states. A state performance grading will be done wherein the states will be marked out of 1,000 scores on 70 parameters. By doing so the ministry expects that it will give the correct picture of where every state stands and will create an atmosphere of a fair competition to improve each other’s performances. In another move the ministry has also decided to print more books of the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) as against only 2 crore books two years ago. The ministry has set the target of printing 6 crore books this year so that the parents who want to send their wards to private schools, should get cheaper and quality books. Furthermore the school curriculum will also be reviewed to ensure holistic education in which there will be time for physical education, value education, life skill education and experiential learning.
- Which country opened West Asia’s largest cathedral in its New Administrative Capital, on 7th January 2019?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Egypt
On January 7, 2019, Egypt opened West Asia’s largest cathedral in its New Administrative Capital, 45 kms away from its capital, Cairo. President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi inaugurated the newly-built Cathedral of Nativity on the eve of Coptic Christmas. Unlike December 25, Coptic Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ on January 7, following the Coptic calendar.
- Name the country that passed a law to make Islam compatible with socialism and ‘sinicize’ it within next 5 years, on 7th January 2019?
1) South Korea
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) China
On January 6, 2019, China passed law to make Islam compatible with socialism and ‘sinicize’ it within next five years. The law was passed after Chinese government officials met representatives from eight Islamic groups.
- Nepal Rastra Bank (NRB), Nepal’s central monetary authority, wrote to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to legalize Indian currency notes of denominations higher than _____ in Nepal, on 6th January 2019?
1) Rs 100
2) Rs 200
3) Rs 500
4) Rs 1000
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rs 100
On January 6, 2019, the Nepal Rastra Bank (NRB), Nepal’s central monetary authority, wrote to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to legalize Indian currency notes of denominations higher than Rs 100 in Nepal. The Indian bank bills Rs 200, Rs 500 and Rs 2,000 which are greater than the said amount has been asked to be made legal tender in Nepal, under the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA). The NRB said the country’s banking system, including banks, financial institutions and NRB, hold Indian currency denominations of Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 worth Rs 48 million.
- Group of States’ Finance Ministers (GoFM) led by Deputy Chief Minister of Bihar, Sushil Kumar Modi approved levy of what percent of ‘calamity cess’ by Kerala for a period of 2 years to fund rehabilitation work, on 7th January 2019?
1) 2 %
2) 3 %
3) 1 %
4) 5 %
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 1 %
On January 7, 2019, the Group of States’ Finance Ministers (GoFM) led by Deputy Chief Minister of Bihar, Sushil Kumar Modi approved levy of 1%‘calamity cess’ by Kerala for a period of two years to fund rehabilitation work in the state of Kerala. It will recommend the same to the GST council meeting which will be held in January 10, 2019. The goods and services, which will attract the 1% cess, would be decided by Kerala and any other state considering to do the same would have to approach the council. It also suggested the GST council to allow additional borrowing over the permitted limit by states hit by natural calamity.
- Airport Authority of India (AAI) banned single-use plastic items at how many airports in the first phase of the implementation, on 7th January 2019?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 16
On January 7, 2019, Airport Authority of India (AAI) banned single-use plastic items at 16 airports. This entails air travellers not getting any single-use plastic items like straws, plastic cutlery and plastic plates etc at passenger terminals and city side. The 16 airports declared as single-use plastic free are: Indore, Bhopal, Ahmedabad, Bhubaneswar, Tirupati, Trichy, Vijayawada, Dehradun, Chandigarh, Vadodara, Madurai, Raipur, Vizag, Pune, Kolkata and Varanasi. The first batch of 16 airports was selected on the basis of third-party assessment carried out by Quality Council of India. Furthermore, Quality Council of India will assess/check the implementation of the ban of single-use plastic items at 34 airports handling 10 lakh passengers per annum. The assessment will be completed by January 31, 2019. Also, the authority has formulated an environment policy to reduce green house gases (GHG) and sustainable development by implementing cost effective carbon mitigation action.
- Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu conferred awards on 17 persons for their contribution to textiles sector and presented commemorative stamps on GI registered handicrafts, at the ‘National Conclave on Accomplishments and Way Forward for Textiles Sector’ held in _____, on 6th January 2019?
1) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) New Delhi
On 6th January 2019, the Vice President of India, Shri M Venkaiah Naidu conferred awards on 17 persons for their outstanding contribution in different fields of textiles sector during the day long ‘National Conclave on Accomplishments and Way Forward for Textiles Sector’ in New Delhi. The national conclave which was organised to address the issues faced by textile sector was inaugurated by the Union Textiles Minister, Smriti Irani and was also addressed by the Minister of State, Ajay Tamta and Textiles Secretary,Raghvendra Singh. During the ceremony Vice President, Shri Naidu was presented commemorative stamps on GI registered handicrafts. The inaugural session was followed by panel discussions on technical textiles, ease of doing textiles business, handicrafts, access to global markets and supply chains and fashionizing weaves.
- Who received the 10th Infosys Prize 2018 in the ‘Engineering and Computer Science’ category, from Infosys Science Foundation, in Bengaluru, on 5th January 2019?
1) Navakanta Bhat
2) Kavita Singh
3) Roop Mallik
4) Nalini Anantharaman
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Navakanta Bhat
On 5th January 2019, the global software major’s Infosys Science Foundation awarded its 10th Infosys Prize 2018 to six eminent professors for winning across different categories of science and research at an awards ceremony in Bengaluru. The category in which the prize were awarded along with the winners’ are-
Category Winner Engineering and Computer Science Navakanta Bhat, Professor, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore and Chairperson, Centre for Nano Science and Engineering, IISc, Humanities Kavita Singh, Professor and Dean, School of Arts & Aesthetics, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, Life Sciences Roop Mallik, Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai, Mathematical Sciences Nalini Anantharaman, Professor and Chair of Mathematics, Institute for Advanced Study, University of Strasbourg, France, Physical Sciences S.K. Satheesh, Professor, Centre for Atmospheric & Oceanic Sciences, Indian Institute of Science, and Director, Divecha Centre for Climate Change. Social Sciences Sendhil Mullainathan, University Professor, Professor of Computation and Behavioral Science, and George C. Tiao Faculty Fellow, The University of Chicago Booth School of Business.
- Name the actress who won the Golden Globe award for the Best Actress in a TV Drama, and became the first Asian to win multiple Golden Globe Awards, on 6th January 2019, at the 76th Golden Globe Awards in California, USA?
1) Sandra Oh
2) Glenn Close
3) Regina King
4) Rachel Brosnahan
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Sandra Oh
On 6th January 2019, 76th Golden Globe Awards to honour the best in films and television of calendar year 2018 was held at Beverly Hills, California in USA.
The Complete List of Winners – Television
Category Winner Best Television Series – Drama The Americans Best Television Series – Musical or Comedy The Kominsky Method Best Actor – Drama Richard Madden for “Bodyguard” Best Actress – Drama Sandra Oh for “Killing Eve” Best Actor – Musical or Comedy Michael Douglas for “The Kominsky Method” Best Actress – Musical or Comedy Rachel Brosnahan for “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” Best Actor – Miniseries or Television Film Darren Criss for “The Assassination of Gianni Versace” Best Actress – Miniseries or Television Film Patricia Arquette for “Escape at Dannemora” Best Supporting Actor – Miniseries or Television Film Ben Whishaw for “A Very English Scandal” Best Supporting Actress – Miniseries or Television Film Patricia Clarkson for “Sharp Objects” Best Miniseries or Television Film The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story
- Who won the Best Director award under ‘Films’ category at the 76th Golden Globe Awards, in California, USA, on 6th January 2019?
1) Rami Malek
2) Mahershala Ali
3) Alfonso Cuaron
4) Christian Bale
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Alfonso Cuaron
On 6th January 2019, 76th Golden Globe Awards to honour the best in films and television of calendar year 2018 was held at Beverly Hills, California in USA. The Complete list of Winners – Films:
Category Winner Best Motion Picture – Drama Bohemian Rhapsody Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy Green Book Best Actor – Drama Rami Malek for “Bohemian Rhapsody” Best Actress – Drama Glenn Close for “The Wife” Best Actor – Musical or Comedy Christian Bale for “Vice” Best Actress – Musical or Comedy Olivia Colman for “The Favourite” Best Supporting Actor Mahershala Ali for “Green Book” Best Supporting Actress Regina King for “If Beale Street Could Talk” Best Director Alfonso Cuaron for “Roma” Best Screenplay Brian Hayes Currie, Peter Farrelly and Nick Vallelonga for “Green Book” Best Original Score Justin Hurwitz for “First Man” Best Original Song Shallow (A star is Born) Best Animated Feature Film Spider-Man: Into the Spider –Verse Best Foreign Language Film Roma (Mexico)
- Name Malaysia’s monarch who resigned as the 15th Yang di-Pertuan Agong, from the throne before completing the 5-year tenure for the first time in Malaysia’s history, on 6th January 2019?
1) Mohammed Hashim
2) Sultan Muhammad V
3) Rafeeq Ahmed Khan
4) Aslam Shah R
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Sultan Muhammad V
On January 6, 2019, Malaysia’s monarch Sultan Muhammad V resigned, as the 15th Yang di-Pertuan Agong, from the throne before completing their five-year tenure for the first time in Malaysia’s history. The selection of the next king can be decided by a vote in the Council of Rulers, made up of all nine royal households, who takes turns to sit on the throne.
- Which country has developed a massive bomb, said to be the counterpart to the US-built ‘Mother of All Bombs’, the most powerful non-nuclear weapon?
1) North Korea
4) South Korea
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) China
China has developed a massive bomb, said to be the country’s answer to the US-built ‘Mother of All Bombs’, the most powerful non-nuclear weapon. China’s defence industry giant NORINCO for the first time showcased the aerial bomb, the country’s largest non-nuclear bomb. It is dubbed as the Chinese version of the “Mother of All Bombs” due to its huge destruction potential that is claimed to be only second to nuclear weapons.
- Name the mobile application launched by North Central Railway (NCR) to help navigate the attendees of Kumbh Mela to be held in Prayagraj city from January 15- March 4, 2019?
1) Rail Kumbh Seva Mobile App
2) Kumbh Mela Assist Mobile App
3) Kumbh Rail Service Mobile App
4) Kumbh Mela Seva Mobile App
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rail Kumbh Seva Mobile App
On January 6, 2019, the North Central Railway, (NCR) launched a mobile application the ‘Rail Kumbh Seva Mobile App’ to help navigate the attendees of the Kumbh Mela in Prayagraj city from January 15- March 4, 2019. It will also provide information regarding all the ‘Mela special’ trains that will be run during the period. The app will provide a link to the user to buy both unreserved and reserved train tickets. Also, the users will not only get to know their current location, but will also be able to reach to all railway stations, the mela zone, major hotels, bus stations and other facilities within Prayagraj. A photo gallery, containing pictures of previous Kumbh Melas can also be accessed through the app.
- Which country became the first Asian team to win a Test series in Australia, on 7th January 2019?
4) Sri Lanka
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) India
On 7th January 2019, Indian Cricket Team skipper, Virat Kohli led the country to a maiden series victory on Australian soil, ending a 71-year wait to script a golden chapter in the game’s history. India won their first-ever Test series in Australia by a margin of 2-1 after play in the fourth and final Test in Sydney was abandoned due to rain and the match was called off as a draw. India Became the First Asian team to win a Test series in Australia. India managed the feat for the first time since they began touring Australia in 1947-48. Besides, Virat Kohli became the first Indian as well as the first Asian captain to win a Test series in Australia. With the win, India reinforced their status as the world’s number one team in Test Cricket and retained the Border-Gavaskar Trophy. India which enforced the follow-on during the 4th test, was the first time since 1988 that Australia was asked to follow on at their home. The winning of the 3rd test of the series was India’s 150th in Test cricket making them the 5th team after Australia (384), England (364), Windies (171) and South Africa (162) to reach the milestone. Virat Kohli became the first captain of India to win two Tests in Australia and equals Sourav Ganguly’s record of most overseas Test wins as India captain. Cheteshwar Pujara was adjuged as the man of the match (for 4th test) and player of the series.
- Who won the Men’s Singles title of the 11th Brisbane International 2019 tennis tournament held in Brisbane, Australia, from 30th December 2018 to 6th January 2019?
1) K. Nishikori
2) D. Medvedev
3) M. Daniell
4) W. Koolhof
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) K. Nishikori
From 30 December 2018, the Brisbane International 2019 was played on outdoor hard courts in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. It was the eleventh edition of the tournament and took place as part of the Australian Open Series in preparation for the first Grand Slam of the year. The Event Concluded on 6th January 2019.
Event Winners Runners- up Men’s Singles K. Nishikori (Japan) D. Medvedev (Russia) Women’s Singles K. Pliskova (Czech Republic) L. Tsurenko (Ukrain) Men’s Doubles M. Daniell (New Zealand)
W. Koolhof (Netherland)
R. Ram (USA)
J. Salisbury (Britain)
Women’s Doubles N. Melichar (USA)
K. Peschke (Czech Republic)
H. Chan (Taiwan)
L. Chan (Taiwan)
- Which cricketer became the most capped player in the history of Ranji Trophy, as he appeared in his 146th Ranji match, on 7th January 2019?
1) Ashok Diwakar
2) Wasim Jaffer
3) Aman Thakur
4) Ram Nivas
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Wasim Jaffer
On 7th January 2019, Vidarbha’s 40-year-old batsman Wasim Jaffer appeared in his 146th Ranji match to become the most capped player in the history of the Ranji Trophy. Jaffer had also recently become the first player to reach 11,000 runs in the Ranji Trophy. The previous year, Jaffer, became only the second player to score six consecutive half-centuries in the Irani Cup.
- Name the author of the book ‘A Crusade Against Corruption’ launched by Vice-Chairman of Rajya Sabha, Harivansh Narayan Singh, in New Delhi on 6th January 2019?
1) Rakesh Sharma
2) Arun Gupta
3) Manohar Manoj
4) Nikhil Jain
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Manohar Manoj
On January 6, 2019, Vice-Chairman of Rajya Sabha, Harivansh Narayan Singh launched Manohar Manoj’s book ‘A Crusade Against Corruption’ at the Press Club of India in New Delhi. The book written over a period of 15 years is claimed as the ‘Encyclopaedic snapshot on Corruption in India’.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- What is the capital and currency of Malaysia?Answer – Capital – Kuala Lumpur; Currency – Malaysian ringgit
- President of Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is _____?Answer – C.K. Khanna
- Who is the MD and CEO of Infosys?Answer – Salil Parekh
- Name the President of Egypt?Answer – Abdul Fattah al-Sisi
- Where is the headquarters of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)?Answer – Bengaluru