AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs January 7 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019
- Current Affairs Today
- Current Affairs January 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs December 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs 2018 PDF
- Name the head of the task force that has been constituted by Ministry of Human Resource Development to look into the circumstances of reported suicides of 49 students of residential Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas (JNVs) between 2013 and 2017?
1) Dr. Navjeet Singh
2) Dr. Jitendra Nagpal
3) Dr. Raghav Natwar
4) Dr. Mithila Yadav
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Dr. Jitendra Nagpal
On 3rd January 2019, the Ministry of Human Resource Development constituted a task force to look into the circumstances of reported suicides of 49 students, including Dalits and Adivasi students, of residential Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas (JNVs) between 2013 and 2017. The task force, to be headed by psychiatrist Dr. Jitendra Nagpal, has been constituted to look into the circumstances leading to the suicidal deaths of students residing in the hostels of JNVs. The task force will also suggest ways and means to arrest the trend of suicides by students of JNVs. Furthermore, a proposal to engage two full time counselors (one male and one female) in each of the 630 functional JNVs has also been sent to the Department of Expenditure for approval from the HRD Ministry.
- Which state announced interest-free loans of up to Rs.3 lakh for 6 lakh women self-help groups (WSHGs) under ‘Mission Shakti’ scheme benefitting about 70 lakh women in the state, on 5th January 2019?
4) West Bengal
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Odisha
On January 5, 2019, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik announced interest-free loans of up to Rs.3 lakh for six lakh women self-help groups (WSHGs) benefitting about 70 lakh women in Odisha. This was announced at the ‘Mission Shakti’ convention attended by about 50,000 women. In the convention, the chief minister did the following:
• He distributed financial assistance of Rs. 3,000 each to six lakh WSHGs to digitally empower women.
• Launched a scheme to distribute Rs. 15,000 seed money per group to three lakh new self-help groups.
• He also handed over revolving fund of Rs. 25 lakh to 338 block federations.
• Also announced incentives of Rs. 500 per month for anganwadi workers and Rs.200 for helpers.
- Where did the 9-day long international kite festival which marks the Uttarayan or Makar Sankranti, the day when winter season starts changing to summer, commence on 6th January 2019?
1) Shimla, Himachal Pradesh
2) Ahmedabad, Gujarat
3) Indore, Madhya Pradesh
4) Mysuru, Karnataka
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Ahmedabad, Gujarat
On 6th January 2019, the nine-day long international kite festival which marks the Uttarayan or Makar Sankranti, the day when winter season starts changing to summer and farmers welcome the approaching harvest season, kicked off at Sabarmati River Front in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. This year’s Kite festival in which Chief Minister Vijay Rupani, Ahmedabad Mayor Bijal Patel and State Revenue Minister Kaushik Patel also took part was inaugurated by Gujarat Governor O P Kohli. This year is the 30th edition of kite festival in which about 500 kite fliers from 19 cities of Gujarat and 13 different states of the country are participating. Besides more than 150 kite fliers from 45 different countries are also taking part in the festival. This year, the Gujarat government has also decided to organise a kite festival at Kevadia, the site of the Statue of Unity, a memorial to Sardar Patel and the also the world’s tallest statue.
- Which railway station became the first railway station of South Central Railway (SCR) zone to hoist a huge tricolour flag on a 100-foot tall pole, on 2nd January 2019?
1) Kochi Railway Station
2) Secunderabad Railway Station
3) Vishakhapatnam Railway Station
4) Madurai Railway Station
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Secunderabad Railway Station
On January 2, 2019, Secunderabad Railway Station, in Hyderabad, became the first railway station of South Central Railway (SCR) zone to hoist a huge tricolor flag on a 100-foot tall pole. This was done according to the Railway Board’s order to hoist the national flag at 75 A1 category railway stations. The flag would be guarded by the Railway Protection Force (RPF). Furthermore according to the order, SCR has taken the initiative to hoist the National Flag at 4 other ‘A1’ category Railway Stations — Kacheguda, Hyderabad, Vijaywada and Tirupati.
- Name the chairman of the High-level committee notified by the Government for implementation of Clause VI of the Assam Accord?
1) Shankar Achari M
2) Mithun Vijay S. V.
3) M.P. Bezbarauah
4) Roopali Sen
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) M.P. Bezbarauah
Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India has notified a High-level committee of nine members under the chairmanship of Shri M.P. Bezbarauah for implementation of Clause VI of the Assam Accord. The Clause VI of Assam Accord envisaged that appropriate constitutional, legislative and administrative safeguards should be provided to protect, preserve and promote the cultural, social, linguistic identity and heritage of the people of Assam. The Committee will submit its report within 6 months from the date of notification. The 9 member Committee headed by retired IAS M.P. Bezbarauah includes eminent Assamese persons from different fields. The State Government of Assam will provide necessary administrative and logistics support to the committee. The effectiveness of actions since 1985 will be examined to implement clause 6 of the Assam Accord. The Committee will assess the required quantum of reservation of seats in the state Assembly and local bodies for the people of the state. The Committee is also tasked to assess the requirement of measures that needs to be taken to protect Assamese and other indigenous languages of Assam.
- Which organization signed a MoU with Society for Applied Microwave Electronics Engineering and Research (SAMEER) for joint research programs in the field of Communication Navigation and Surveillance (CNS), on 4thJanuary 2019?
1) Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL)
2) Airport Authority of India (AAI)
3) Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
4) Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Airport Authority of India (AAI)
On January 4, 2019, Airport Authority of India (AAI) signed MoU with Society for Applied Microwave Electronics Engineering and Research (SAMEER) for joint research programs in the field of Communication Navigation and Surveillance (CNS). The MOU is under government of India’s ‘Make in India’ concept to indigenously design and develop CNS systems. SAMEER is an autonomous research and development (R and D) institute under Ministry of Electronic and Information Technology (MeitY).
- _____ is the first Indian state that has established a Brahmin Corporation aimed to help poor people of Brahmin families by providing financial assistance for education, coaching, entrepreneurship, skill development and welfare and culture?
2) Uttar Pradesh
4) Andhra Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Andhra Pradesh
On 4th January 2019, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu unveiled various welfare scheme for the marginalized and economically backward Brahmins through AP Brahmin Welfare Corporation such as distribution of Cars to the Unemployed Brahmin youths, loans and subsidies. Brahmin youths who had undergone training as drivers were given Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire for the first time. 30 cars were distributed on 4th January to the Brahmin youths. Youth bore 10% of the total on-road cost the diesel run cars. Government has started at least half dozen schemes for Brahmins and around 10000 poor Brahmins have been given loans and subsidies. Andhra Pradesh is the first state of the country which has established a Brahmin Corporation which aims to help poor people of Brahmin families by providing financial assistance for education, coaching, entrepreneurship, skill development and welfare and culture.
- The Expediency Council of which country approved an anti-money laundering bill to ease trade, which will be in line with the standards set by the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), on 5th January 2019?
3) United States of America (USA)
4) United Arab Emirates (UAE)
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Iran
On January 5, 2019, Iranian council known as the Expediency Council approved an anti-money laundering bill to ease trade. This bill will be in line with the standards set by the Financial Action Task Force (FATF).
- Centre has infused nearly how much rupees in public sector banks till December 2018, out of budgetary allocation of Rs 65,000 crore for 2018-19?
1) Rs 51,533 crore
2) Rs 28,066 crore
3) Rs 48,540 crore
4) Rs 35,070 crore
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rs 51,533 crore
Centre has infused more than Rs 51,000 crore in public sector banks till December 2018, the Parliament was informed on January 4, 2019. Finance Ministry said that close to Rs 51,533 crore have been injected in the PSBs till December 31, 2018 out of budgetary allocation of Rs 65,000 crore for 2018-19. The government had decided to provide capital support to the banks following their failing financial health on the back of mounting loans. Non-Performing Assets (NPAs) in the banking sector were close to Rs 10 lakh crore at the beginning of FY19. Of these, Rs 9.62 lakh crore were in the PSBs.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has notified all authorised non-bank Prepaid Payment Instrument (PPI) Issuers in order to limit the liability of Customers in unauthorised electronic payment transactions in PPIs. According to this, if the fraud is reported between 3 and 7 days, customer liability will amount to the transaction value or _____, whichever is lower?
1) Rs 50,000
2) Rs 10,000
3) Rs 90,000
4) Rs 20,000
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Rs 10,000
On 4th January 2019, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) issued a notification for all authorised non-bank Prepaid Payment Instrument (PPI) Issuers in order to limit the liability of Customers in unauthorised electronic payment transactions in Prepaid Payment Instruments (PPIs) comprising mobile wallets, prepaid payments cards, and paper vouchers such as Sodexo. The RBI said frauds due to third-party breach where neither the customer nor the PPI issuer is at fault, there cannot be any liability for the customer, in case the incident in reported within three days. If the fraud is reported between three and seven days, customer liability will amount to the transaction value or Rs.10,000, whichever is lower whereas for fraud reported over seven days, the liability of the customer will be according to the board-approved policy of the PPI issuer. The PPI issuer has to credit the amount involved in the unauthorised transaction to the customer’s PPI within 10 days, after the customer reports the fraud. Also the burden of proving customer liability in case of unauthorised electronic payment transactions shall lie on the PPI issuer.
- Name the journalist who was conferred with the lifetime achievement award for his lifelong contributions in journalism, by the Mantralaya and Vidhimandal Vartahar Sangh, on 6th January 2019?
1) Vishwas Waghmode
2) Mahesh Tiwari
3) Prajakta Pol
4) Dinu Randive
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Dinu Randive
On January 6, 2019, Veteran journalist Dinu Randive was conferred with the lifetime achievement award for his lifelong contributions in journalism, who started his journalistic career in 1956. He also participated in the freedom struggle, the Sanyukta Maharashtra movement and the Goa liberation movement. The award was given by the Mantralaya and Vidhimandal Vartahar Sangh which is an association of journalists covering Maharashtra legislature and secretariat. Award winners in other categories included Vishwas Waghmode, Mahesh Tiwari and Prajakta Pol.
- Which Union Ministry conferred National Awards to 97 Anganwadi Workers (AWWs) for Exceptional Achievements for 2017-18, under Integrated Child Development Scheme (ICDS) on 7th January 2019, in New Delhi?
1) Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
2) Ministry of Women & Child Development
3) Ministry of Human Resource Development
4) Ministry of Home Affairs
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Ministry of Women & Child Development
On January 5, 2019, the Ministry of Women & Child Development announced that the Union Minister, Smt. Maneka Sanjay Gandhi would conferNational Awards to 97 Anganwadi Workers(AWWs) for Exceptional Achievements for the year 2017-18, under Integrated Child Development Scheme (ICDS) on the 07th of January 2019, in New Delhi. National Level awards to AWWs are given to the awardees nominated by States/UTs out of the State/UT Level awardees. The nominations received from the States/UTs are screened and recommended by a Screening Committee headed by Secretary, MWCD. The selection of awardees is made by the Selection Committee headed by Hon’ble Minister for Women & Child Development.
- Name the chief of staff of the United States Department of Defence, who resigned from his position on 6thJanuary 2019?
1) Mike Pompeo
2) Justin Langer
3) Ronald Steward
4) Kevin Sweeney
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Kevin Sweeney
On January 6, 2019, Kevin Sweeney, the chief of staff of the US Department of Defence, resigned from his position. Kevin Sweeney retired as a Rear Admiral from the US Navy in 2014.
- Lunar rover Yutu-2 or Jade Rabbit-2 of China’s _____ spacecraft made the first-ever soft landing on the far side of the moon, on 4th January 2019?
2) Beidou 292
3) Radix II
4) Moonlight X
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Chang’e-4
On January 4, 2019, Lunar rover Yutu-2 or Jade Rabbit-2 of the Chang’e-4 spacecraft made the first-ever soft landing on the far side of the moon. Images were sent back to the Earth via the relay satellite ‘Queqiao’. In Chinese folklore, Yutu is the white pet rabbit of Chang’e, the moon goddess who lent her name to the Chinese lunar mission. China’s lunar probe is a part of its ‘Made in China 2025’ project. It follows a homegron Chinese Global Positioning System named BeiDou Navigation Satellite System.
- Which footballer became I-League’s youngest ever goal-scorer while scoring a goal in a match against Aizawl FC at the Rajiv Gandhi Stadium, Aizawl, Mizoram, on 5th January 2019?
1) Dhananjay Advani
2) Jitendra Singh
3) Rohit Danu
4) Sameer Riyas
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Rohit Danu
On January 5, 2019, 16-year-old Rohit Danu became I-League’s youngest ever goal-scorer while scoring a goal on the ongoing match against Aizawl FC at the Rajiv Gandhi Stadium, Aizawl, Mizoram. He defeated his team mate Jitendra Singh in this title. Earlier, Arrows’ Jitendra, who was of 16 years, six months and 13 days when he scored against Shillong Lajong on December 26, 2017, was the youngest goal-scorer.
- Name the pair that won the Hopman Cup, which is an annual international tennis tournament in which male and female players are on combined teams, for the 2nd year in a row, held in Perth, Australia, from 29th December 2018 to 5th January 2019?
1) Roger Federer and Belinda Bencic of Switzerland
2) Angelique Kerber and Alexander Zverev of Germany
3) Serena Williams and Frances Tiafoe, United States of America
4) Rafael Nadal and Maria Jose of Spain
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Roger Federer and Belinda Bencic of Switzerland
From 29 December 2018, the Hopman Cup which is an annual international eight-team indoor hard court tennis tournament was held in Perth, Western Australia. It is a mixed competition in which male and female players are on combined teams and represent their countries. The Event was concluded on 5th January 2019. This year Switzerland’s Roger Federer and Belinda Bencic secured a 2-1 victory over Germany’s Angelique Kerber and Alexander Zverev to win the Hopman Cup for the second year in a row. It was Switzerland’s fourth title overall, behind only the United States with six. This year’s tournament is the 31st edition of the Hopman Cup and potentially be the final edition of the tournament as it will be replaced by an ATP tournament from next year. In this year’s tournament for the first time in history, Roger Federer and Serena Williams faced each other in a competitive event in which Federer came out victorious alongside Bencic by defeating the pair of Serena Williams and Frances Tiafoe in a mixed doubles round robin match.
- Who won the Men’s Singles title at the Tata Open Maharashtra tennis tournament held in Maharashtra on 5thJanuary 2019?
1) Kevin Anderson
2) Ivo Karlovic
3) Mike McKluskey
4) Dave Richardson
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Kevin Anderson
On 5th January 2019, world number six Kevin Anderson of South Africa won the three-set finals against Ivo Karlovic of Croatia to clinch the Tata Open Maharashtra singles title in Pune. It was Anderson’s fourth victory in five meetings against Karlovic and sixth career title overall. Karlovic became the oldest player at 39 to play a tour-level final since 1977. In another record, Anderson at 6-foot-8 (2.03 meters), and Karlovic at 6-foot-11 (2.11 meters), combined to make it the tallest final in the Open era. The Maharashtra Open is viewed as a key warm-up event for the first Grand Slam of the year, the Australian Open, which starts in Melbourne on 14 January.
- Name the Indian pair that won the Men’s Doubles title at the Tata Open Maharashtra tennis tournament held in Maharashtra on 5th January 2019?
1) Yukhi Bambri and Leander Paes
2) Somdev Devvarman and Ramkumar Ramanath
3) Rohan Bopanna and Divij Sharan
4) Sumit Nageth and Saketh Myneni
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Rohan Bopanna and Divij Sharan
On 5th January 2019, Rohan Bopanna and Divij Sharan, the Asian Games 2018 gold medallists, started the 2019 season by winning India’s only ATP 250 tournament, Tata Open Maharashtra in Pune after beating a British pairing of Luke Bambridge and Jonny O’Mara in straight sets by 6-4, 6-3. This was two-time champion Bopanna’s 18th tour-level trophy, while for Sharan it was his fourth trophy from five tour-level doubles finals. The winning pair will next participate in the Davis Cup, scheduled for February 1-2 at the South Club in Kolkata.
- When was the World Day for War Orphans observed?
1) January 3
2) January 4
3) January 5
4) January 6
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) January 6
The World Day of War Orphans was initiated by the French organisation, SOS Enfants en Detresses. Held on 6th January each year, this special day enables the International Community to recognise the plight of a particularly vulnerable group. The usual definition of an orphan is a child who has no surviving parent to care for him or her, having lost both parents, either as a result of bereavement or by being abandoned.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Which state houses Chilika, Asia’s largest brackish water lagoon?Answer – Odisha
Chilika, Asia’s largest brackish water lagoon is located in Odisha. Chilika was in news recently, as the bird population in Chilika has increased this year by over 1.55 lakh when compared to last winter. The annual bird census conducted by the Chilika wildlife revealed on 4th January 2019, that a total of 10,47,868 birds belonging to 181 different species have taken shelter in 1,100 sq km vast lagoon this winter. These included 105 different species of waterfowl and 76 species of water-dependent birds.
- What is the capital and currency of Iran?Answer – Capital – Tehran; Currency – Iranian Rial
- Who is the Governor of Maharashtra?Answer – C. Vidyasagar Rao
- Secretary of Ministry of Women and Child Development is ____?Answer – Rakesh Srivastava
- Where is Vansda National Park located?Answer – Gujarat