AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs February 22 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019
- Current Affairs February 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs January 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- Which State/UT hosted the 5th Island Development Agency (IDA) Meeting chaired by Union Home Minister, Rajnath Singh?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) NewDelhi
Union Home Minister, Rajnath Singh, chaired the 5th Island Development Agency (IDA) meeting held in NewDelhi to review the progress made towards the “Holistic development of islands” program. The Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP), Ministry of Commerce, has issued a notification extending tax incentives for investments made in manufacturing and service sector in islands of Andaman & Nicobar and Lakshadweep which include:
• Central Capital Investment Incentive for access to credit (CCIIAC)
• Central Interest Incentive (CII)
• Central Comprehensive Insurance Incentive (CCII)
• Goods and Services Tax (GST) Reimbursement
• Income Tax (IT) Reimbursement
• Transport Incentive (TI)
• Employment incentive (EI)
- Upto how many years of imprisonment is declared,according to Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Ordinance 2019,that is promulgated by President recently?
1) 1 Year
2) 2 Year
3) 3 Year
4) 4 Year
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 3 Year
The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Second Ordinance, 2019
The aim is to give continued effect to the provisions brought in by the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Ordinance, 2019, which declares the practice of triple talaq to be void and illegal, punishable with up to 3 years imprisonment and fine.
It will protect the rights of married Muslim women and minimize the practice of divorce by triple talaq (talaq -e -biddat).It also provides for payment of subsistence allowance and custody of minor children.
- Shaheed Dweep island is selected for Seaplane Operation during 5th Island Development Agency (IDA) meetingheld in NewDelhi.Where is Shaheed Dweep Island is located?
2) Aminidivi Islands
3) Andaman & Nicobar
4) Minicoy Island
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Andaman & Nicobar
7 Islands have been identified for Seaplane Operation:
4 islands in Andaman & Nicobar – Swaraj Dweep, Shaheed Dweep, Hutbay and Long.
3 islands in Lakshadweep – Kavaratti, Agatti and Minicoy.
CRZ clearance has been accorded for ‘Middle Strait Bridge’ on Andaman Trunk Road.10 Deep-Sea Modern Fishing Vessels are being procured by Lakshadweep Administration from Cochin Shipyard Limited for sustainably utilizing the potential of Tuna Fish. Export of sea food and coconut products is also encouraged to generate more employment opportunities in the islands.
- Government signed MoU with which of the following country’s University for research on environment issues?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Canada
The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the University of British Columbia (UBC), Canada for next 10 years to explore opportunities for collaborations in the field of Forestry Science and to work on various environmental issues like Climate Change, Forest Resource Management and Wildlife. The opportunities will be explored by organizations like Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education(ICFRE), Wildlife Institute of India (WII), Forest Survey of India (FSI), Indira Gandhi National Forest Academy and Directorate of Forest Education, Uttarakhand, and UBC, Canada.
- Finance Ministry announced a capital infusion of Rs 48,239 crore to 12 public sector banks (PSBs) recently.Which Bank received the highest infusion of Rs. 9086 crores?
1) Central Bank of India
2) Allahabad Bank
3) Bank of Maharashtra
4) Corporation Bank
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Corporation Bank
The largest beneficiaries of this infusion are:
• Corporation Bank- Rs. 9086 crores
• Allahabad Bank- Rs. 6896 crores
• Bank of India- Rs. 4,638 crores
• Bank of Maharashtra- Rs. 205 crores
• Punjab National Bank- Rs. 5,908 crores
• Union Bank of India- Rs. 4,112 crores
• Andhra Bank- Rs. 3,256 crores
• Syndicate Bank- Rs. 1,603 crores
• Central Bank of India, United Bank, UCO Bank and Indian Overseas Bank- Rs. 12,535 crores
- What is the new interest rate on Employees’ Provident Fund for 2018-19 recommended by Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) ?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) 8.65%
Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has recommended to increase the interest rate on Employees’ Provident Fund for 2018-19 to 8.65% from 8.55% benefitting 6 crore EPFO subscribers.All members of the Central Board of Trustees (CBT),EPFO of have agreed to the increase the interest rate and the proposal would now go to the Finance Ministry for approval.The EPFO provided a five-year-low rate of interest of 8.55% for FY18. The interest rate was 8.65% in FY17, 8.8% in FY16 and 8.75% interest in FY14 and FY15. The rate of interest was 8.5% in FY13.
- Foreign direct investment (FDI) into India fell by how much percent to USD 33.49 billion during April-December 2018-19?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 7%
According to the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Foreign direct investment (FDI) into India fell by 7% to USD 33.49 billion during April-December in the current fiscal as Foreign Fund Inflows during this period stood at USD 35.94 billion. The key sectors that received the maximum foreign investment during the period are:
• Services (USD 5.91 billion),
• Computer software and hardware (USD 4.75 billion)
• Telecommunications (USD 2.29 billion)
• Trading (USD 2.33 billion)
• Chemicals (USD 6.05 billion)
• Automobile industry (USD 1.81 billion)
Singapore was the largest source of FDI during this period USD 12.97 billion inflow, followed by Mauritius (USD 6 billion), the Netherlands (USD 2.95 billion), Japan (USD 2.21 billion), US (USD 2.34 billion), and the UK (USD 1.05 billion).
- Which Organisation topped the global Top Employer for fourth year in a row?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) TCS
Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) has been ranked by the Top Employers Institute as global Top Employerfor the fourth year in a row. TCS the only firm among the top 10 IT services brands which has received this certification.TCS has the most employee-friendly workplace policies, good work culture and has done large investments for the skill development of its 4.17 lakh employees globally.It has also been tagged as the number one top employer in four regions- North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and the Middle East and as a top employer in 29 other nations.TCS provides mentorship to various famous global firms by its Business 4.0 transformation journeys which are a result of the talented and updated workforce.
- Who was appointed as the Additional charge as Secretary of newly created Department of Fisheries?
1) Bhaskar Khulbe
2) Tarun Shridhar
3) Pradeep Kumar Sinha
4) Inderjit Singh
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Tarun Shridhar
On 20th February 2019, the PM administration gave Secretary of Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Tarun Shridhar the additional charge of Secretary of Department of Fisheries.Department of Fisheries is a newly created department under Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare.Tarun Shridhar is an IAS officer from 1984 batch Himachal Pradesh cadre.Also, J Balaji, an IAS officer from 2001 batch of Assam-Meghalaya cadre was appointed as the Joint Secretary of Department of Fisheries.Earlier, he was serving as Joint Secretary of Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying & Fisheries.These appointments follow the Cabinet approval of creation of one post of Secretary and one post of Joint Secretary in the new department.
- Ajay Singh was appointed as the head of which Organisation?
1) African Boxing Confederation
2) European Boxing Confederation (EUBC)
3) Boxing Federation of India
4) AIBA Elite Foundation
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) AIBA Elite Foundation
On 19th February 2019, Ajay Singh,President of the Boxing Federation of India was selected as the President of the Foundation Board for Better Boxing of AIBA (International Boxing Association).He has been elected to the post for a tenure of four years. Other members of the foundation are-
• Gafur Rahimov, President, AIBA
• Franco Falcinelli, Vice-President, AIBA & President, European Boxing Confederation (EUBC)
• Sidi Mohamed Moustahsane, Vice-President, AIBA & President, African Boxing Confederation
• Tom Virgets, Executive Director, AIBA.He has also been elected as the Secretary.
• AIBA formed the Foundation Board for Better Boxing in the last meeting of its Executive Committee to formulate action plan for global development of the sport in future.
- Who was appointed as the First Ombudsman for the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) by Supreme Court?
1) Vijay Keshav Gokhale
2) Rajiv Mehrishi
3) D K Jain
4) T. S. Tirumurti
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) D K Jain
The Supreme Court appointed its former judge, Justice D K Jain as the first ombudsman for the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). Bench comprising Justices SA Bobde and A. M. Sapre appointed Justice D. K. Jain as the ombudsman after getting a consent of the parties and their suggestions to do so.The ombudsman will be resolving any issue that comes with regards to the players, as also financial issues.The apex court in its August 9, 2018 verdict had recommended the appointment of ombudsman.
- Name the India’s first Humanoid Police Robot inaugurated by Kerala Chief Minister,Pinarayi Vijayan?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) KP-BOT
Kerala Chief Minister, Pinarayi Vijayan, inaugurated India’s first Humanoid Police Robot named KP-BOT, ranked as Sub-Inspector (SI), at the Police Headquarters in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. With this, the Kerala State Police Headquarters has become the first police department in the country to use a robot for police work.The robot’s gender is declared female keeping in mind women empowerment and gender equality.She will perform Front Office duties of the police headquarters like receiving visitors and direct them as required.Visitors can directly interact with her and she is capable of tasks like fixing appointments with officers, provide ID cards and open new files based on the grievances. She can also identify higher officials and greet them with a salute. In 2018’s Cocoon Cyber Conference it was announced that robots will be included in the police force, after which, the work on the project was started by state police Cyberdome and a Kochi based start-up, Asimov.
- Which country unveiled new F-21 fighter jet to be manufactured in India under Prime Minister Narendra Modi‘sflagship programme ‘Make in India’?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) US
US defence firm,Lockheed Martin,unveiled the F-21 multi-role fighter jet at Asia’s biggest air show Aero India-2019, which will be manufactured in India, under Prime Minister Narendra Modi‘s flagship programme ‘Make in India’.It is specifically configured for the Indian Air Force (IAF) and provides a host of Make in India opportunities and strengthens India’s path to an advanced airpower future.It will be produced by Lockheed Martin and Tata Advanced Systems.
- Name the world’s first female AI news anchor unveiled by Chinese news agency Xinhua in collaboration with Sogou Inc ?
1) Xin Xiaomeng
4) Mei Xiang
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Xin Xiaomeng
On 19th February 2019, Chinese news agency Xinhua unveiled the world’s first female AI news anchor Xin Xiaomeng. She has been developed by Xinhua in collaboration with Sogou Inc, a search engine company.She was modelled after real-life Xinhua news anchor Qu Meng. She is expected to make a debut in March, during the upcoming meetings of China’s national legislature.Earlier, Xinhua also developed Qiu Hao,the world’s first male AI news anchor at the World Internet Conference in Wuzhen held in November 2018, who is capable of mimicking human facial expressions and mannerisms while reading out news-reports.
- Scientists discovered Crimson coloured,Convex-Vented Horned (Megophryspachyproctus) Rare frog species in which of the following State?
2) Andhra Pradesh
4) Arunachal Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Arunachal Pradesh
A rare frog species was found by Scientists at Zoological Survey of India (ZSI) in Lower Subansiri district of Arunachal Pradesh.The team was led by senior ZSI scientist Bikramjit Sinha.The research findings have been published in the journal “Records of the Zoological Survey of India“.The Crimson coloured, Convex-Vented Horned Species (Megophryspachyproctus), was collected from Tale Valley Wildlife Sanctuary of the district in 2017.It is native to Xizang in China.
- A small brown rat of bramble cay melomys becomes World’s first mammal to go extinct due to climate change,It belongs to which of the following country?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Australia
A small brown rat of bramble cay melomys species lived on a tiny island off northern Australia and becomes the world’s first mammal to have become extinct due to “human-induced climate change”.It was found only on a small sand island near the coast of Papua New Guinea. The rat was not seen since 2009 and scientist thought that the mammal might become extinct in 2014.
- Who broke the record of “Most Sixes in International Cricket” by achieving a feat of 477 international sixes recently?
1) M S Dhoni
2) Chris Gayle
3) Shahid Afridi
4) Virat Kohli
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Chris Gayle
West Indies’ batsman, Chris Gayle, broke the record for “Most Sixes in International Cricket” by achieving a feat of 477 international sixes at the 1st ODI between West Indies and England at the Kensington Ovalin Bridgetown, Barbados. It was his 444th match.With this he broke the record held by Shahid Afridi who had a total of 476 sixes in international cricketin 524 matches.He hit the 477th six in the 15th over bowled by Moeen Ali of England.
- Pratik Choudhary passed away in Kolkata, West Bengal at the age of 55.He belongs to which of the following field?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Singer
Bengali singer Pratik Choudhary passed away in Kolkata, West Bengal due to cardiac arrestHe’s popular for songs like Sakhi Tumi Kar (1980), Ek Je AachheKanya (2001) and Patalghar (2003) and has performed with famous singers in various concerts.He hailed from West Bengal.
- What was the theme of the International Mother Language day observed on February 21,2019?
1) Theme – “If You Want Peace & Development, Work for Social Justice”
2) Theme –“ Investment in Women and Girls in Science for Inclusive Green Growth”
3) Theme – “Indigenous languages matter for development, peace building and reconciliation”
4) Theme -“Holocaust Remembrance: Demand and Defend Your Human Rights”
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Theme – “Indigenous languages matter for development, peace building and reconciliation”
International Mother Language day is observed annually on February 21 since 2000. It is observed to promote linguistic diversity and multilingual education.Theme for the year 2019- “Indigenous languages matter for development, peace building and reconciliation”.The idea of celebrating International Mother Language day came from Bangladesh and WestBengal,which celebrates this day as “Bhasha Shahid Dibash/Matri Bhasha Dibash/Language Martyrs’ Day” as a commemoration of Bangladeshis war to recognize the Bangla language.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Who is the chief of Indian Army?Answer – General Bipin Rawat
- Dibang Wildlife Sanctuary is located in which State/UT?Answer -Arunachal Pradesh
- Who is the Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh?Answer – Pema Khandu
- Kavaratti island is located in which State/UT?Answer – Lakshadweep
- Where is the Dudhwa Tiger Reserve (DTR) located?Answer – Uttar Pradesh
Dudhwa Tiger Reserve was recently in news,when a Red Coral Kukri snake was sighted in the Dudhwa Tiger Reserve (DTR) confirming the presence of the rare species in the forest after a gap of over 82 years. Red Coral Kukri snake (Oligodon kheriensis) is a nocturnal reptile with maximum length of 114 cm.