We are here for you to provide the important Recent and Latest Current Affairs 5 October 2023, which have unique updates of Latest Current Affairs 2023 events from all newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economic Times, PIB, Times of India, PTI, Indian Express, Business Standard and all Government official websites.
Our Current Affairs October 2023 events will help you to get more marks in Banking, Insurance, SSC, Railways, UPSC, CLAT and all State Government Exams. Also, try our Latest Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2023 PDF which will be a pedestrian to crack your exams.
Read Current Affairs in CareersCloud APP, Course Name – Learn Current Affairs – Free Course – Click Here to Download the APP
National Health Authority Organizes ‘Arogya Manthan 2023’ to Celebrate Anniversaries of AB PM-JAY and ABDMThe National Health Authority (NHA) hosted the two-day Arogya Manthan 2023’ event on September 25th and 26th, 2023, at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi, Delhi. The event saw the anniversary celebrations of 5 Years of Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB PM-JAY) and 2 Years of Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM).
i.5 years of Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB PM-JAY)
- AB PM-JAY has achieved remarkable success, with over 5 crore hospital admissions, covering more than 24 crore beneficiaries. It boasts a robust IT infrastructure, seamless processes, monitoring mechanisms, outreach efforts, and fraud control systems.
ii.2 years of Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM)
- ABDM, launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, aims to create an efficient digital health ecosystem with active participation from both public and private sectors. It has generated over 45 crore Ayushman Bharat Health Account (ABHA) and linked over 30 crore health records.
iii.Awards were presented to Top-Performing States/UT for AB PM-JAY and ABDM at Arogya Manthan 2023.
- National Health Authority is the successor of National Health Agency, which was functioning as a registered society since 23rd May, 2018.
- National Health Agency was reconstituted as the National Health Authority on 2nd January 2019
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO) – Sudhansh Pant
- Headquarters – New Delhi, Delhi
276th Annual Day Celebrations of DAD: Defence Minister Launched DAD Digital Initiatives SARANSH, BISWAS and e-Raksha Awaas Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh launched several digital initiatives of the Defence Accounts Department (DAD) during its 276th annual day celebrations at Delhi Cantonment(Cantt), Delhi.
i.The newly launched digital initiatives include,
- An integrated defence finance dashboard for the Ministry of Defence (MoD) ‘SARANSH’ (Summary of Accounts, Budget and Expenditure for Raksha Mantralaya)
- BISWAS (Bill Information and Work Analysis System),
- e-Raksha Awaas.
ii.The Defence Minister also distributed the Raksha Mantri Awards for Excellence for the year 2023 during the event.
Note: DAD, the guardian of defence finance, recognises its efforts in enhancing India’s defence capabilities through transparency and efficiency.
About Ministry of Defence (MoD):
Union Minister– Raj Nath Singh (Constituency- Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh)
Minister of State– Ajay Bhatt (Constituency- Nainital-Udhamsingh Nagar, Uttarakhand)
>> Read Full News
PM Launched Sankalp Saptaah to Improve Governance at Block LevelPrime Minister(PM) Narendra Modi launched ‘Sankalp Saptaah’, a unique week-long programme for Aspirational Blocks of India, at Bharat Mandapam, New Delhi, Delhi. He also launched the Aspirational Blocks Programme (ABP) Portal and inaugurated the exhibition showcased on the occasion.
- ‘Sankalp Saptaah’ is linked to the effective implementation of the ABP.
- The programme is observed from 3rd October to 9th October, 2023.
i.The nationwide Aspirational Blocks Programme (ABP) was launched by the PM in January, 2023.
ii.ABP is an initiative to improve governance at the block level to increase the quality of life of citizens.
iii. ABP is based on the Aspirational District Programme(ADP) which has transformed the lives of about 25 crore people in 112 districts.
- ADP was launched in 2018.
i.500 aspirational blocks from 329 districts is chosen for the implementation of the programme.
ii.To implement ABP and develop effective block development strategies, brainstorming workshops (chintan shivirs) were held in villages and blocks across the country.
Each day of the programme is aligned with specific theme on which all aspirational blocks will work.
i.The theme for the first six days is ‘Sampoorna Swasthya’, ‘Suposhit Pariwaar’, ‘Swachhta’, ‘Krishi’, ‘Shiksha’, and ‘Samridhi Diwas’ respectively.
ii.The seventh day will be a celebration of the work conducted during the entire week, as ‘Sankalp Saptaah – Samavesh Samaroh’.
India’s first Solar Roof Cycling Track Inaugurated in Hyderabad
The 23 kilometer long Healthway Cycling Track, India’s first solar-roofed cycling track, was inaugurated in Hyderabad, Telangana, by the state municipal administration and Urban Development Minister K. T. Rama Rao.
- The cycling track along the Outer Ring Road is divided into two unique stretches: an 8.5-kilometer pink line from Nanakramguda to the Telangana State Police Academy and a 14.5-kilometer blue line from Kollur to Narsingi, which includes five different entry points.
- Around 16,000 solar panels have been installed to generate 16 megawatts (MW) of power, which can power 32,000 streetlights or illuminate 800 kilometers of city streets.
- The installed solar panels will be used to illuminate the track at night and protect cyclists from the sun, rain, and other weather conditions.
- This was also the world’s second solar roof-covered cycle track due to its exceptional design.
Ookla’s Speedtest Global Index: India is ranked 47th; UAE tops
According to Ookla’s Speedtest Global Index (August 2023 edition) India is ranked 47th among 145 countries with median download speed of 50.21 Mbps(Megabits per second). India has moved up 72 places, from 119th place in 2022 to the 47th position in 2023.
- The list is topped by United Arab Emirates (UAE) with the median download speeds of 210.89 Mbps. Qatar and Kuwait stands at second and third rank with the download speed of 192.71Mbps and 153.86Mbps respectively.
Ookla is a global leader in connectivity intelligence owned by Ziff Davis Inc.
Co-Founder – Doug Suttles
Headquarters – Seattle, Washington, United States of America(USA)
>> Read Full News
BANKING & FINANCE
NABARD Raises Rs 1,040.50 Crore in India’s First social Impact Bond
National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) raised Rs 1,040.50 crore by issuing India’s first ‘AAA’ rated Indian Rupee-denominated Social Bonds at a coupon rate of 7.63%.
- NABARD issued bonds privately to eligible institutional investors, which were listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) on September 29, 2023. The redemption date for the bonds is September 27, 2028 with coupon payments taking place yearly.
- A social bond is a type of financial instrument issued by governments, international organisations, or corporations to raise funds for projects and initiatives that have a positive social impact on society.
- Nabard-issued bonds have been rated AAA rating by Credit Rating Information Services of India Limited(CRISIL) and Investment Information and Credit Rating Agency(ICRA).
- AAA-rated bonds mean the issuers of these bonds have the highest creditworthiness & lowest risk of default, and are expected to easily meet financial obligations.
The annual interest paid on a bond is referred to as a coupon payment.
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
IOCL Approves Two Joint Ventures to Set up Compressed Biogas Plants
The board of Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL), a public sector Enterprise under the Maharatna category approved joint ventures with EverEnviro Resource Management Pvt Ltd and GPS Renewables Pvt Ltd for setting up compressed biogas (CBG) plants.
- The two joint ventures will be formed with IOCL or one of its subsidiaries and the two partner companies will have an equal stake of 50 % each in the newly formed joint ventures.
- This aligns with the government’s plans to establish 5,000 commercial CBG plants by 2024-25 under the Sustainable Alternative Towards Affordable Transport (SATAT) scheme which was launched in 2018.
- The IOCL board’s decision is subject to approvals from the NITI Aayog, and the Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM)
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Katalin Karikó and Drew Weissman Wins Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2023Katalin Karikó of Hungary and Drew Weissman of the United States of America(USA) were jointly awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 2023 by the Royal Swedish Academy of Science.
- The Nobel Prize is awarded for their discovery concerning nucleoside base modifications that enabled the development of effective mRNA vaccines against COVID-19.
- The mRNA vaccines deliver genetic instructions to cells to recreate the spike protein of the coronavirus, in order to trigger effective antibodies when they encounter the virus.
- The Nobel Prize is an international award given by the Nobel Foundation in Stockholm, Sweden, and based on the will of Alfred Nobel, Swedish inventor and entrepreneur.
- Recipients of the Nobel Prize are presented with a Nobel Prize diploma(certificate), a gold medal, and a cash award of 10 million Swedish kronor (nearly USD 900,000).
Sudha Murty Becomes 1st Woman to Get Global Indian Award
The renowned author and philanthropist Sudha Murty, chairperson of the Infosys Foundation, became the first woman to be honoured the Global Indian Award by the Canada India Foundation(CIF) at Indo-Canadian gala event held in Toronto, Canada.
- The award is presented to her by Indian High Commissioner to Canada Sanjay Kumar Verma.
About CIF Global Indian Award:
i.The CIF Global Indian Award is the most prestigious Indo-Canadian event
given to an outstanding individual who has helped India become a global economic and political power.
ii.The award winner receives USD 50,000 to donate to a charity of their choice.
iii.The award is the first of its kind to be given outside of India.
Noted recipients of CIF Global Indian Award:
Anil Agarwal, Chairman of Vedanta Group (2022); N.R.Narayana Murthy (2014); and Sam Pitroda, Chairman of National Knowledge Commission (first recipient – 2008).
About Sudha Murty:
i.Sudha Murty was born on 19th August 1951 in Shiggaon, Haveri in Karnataka.
ii.She is married to N. R.Narayana Murthy who is the co-founder of Infosys.
iii.Murty is best known for her philanthropy activity; She is an active member of public health care initiatives of the Gates Foundation.
Honours and Achievements:
i.The government of India honoured her with Padma Shri (the 4th highest civilian award) in 2006 and Padma Bhushan (the third highest civilian award) in 2023 for Social Work.
ii.She was the first female engineer to be hired by TATA Engineering and Locomotive Company (TELCO).
iii.She also received the R.K. Narayana’s Award for Literature in 2006.
i.She had authored many books such as: ‘Mother I Never Knew: Two Novellas’, ‘Magic of the Lost Temple’, ‘How I Taught My Grandmother to Read: And Other Stories’ etc,.
ii.Her kannada novel ‘Dollar Bahu’ was adapted as a televised dramatic series and her story ‘Runa’ was adapted as a Marathi film ‘Pitruroon’.
Established in 2007, Canada India Foundation (CIF) is a Canadian, not-for-profit, nonpartisan, non-governmental organization.
- It strengthens bilateral relations between Canada and India.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
ACC Extends Amit Agrawal’s Tenure as UIDAI CEO for 1 YearThe Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the extension of Amit Agrawal‘s tenure as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) for a period of one year starting from November 2, 2023 up to November 2, 2024, or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
- Amit Agrawal assumed charge as the CEO of UIDAI in June 2023 following the retirement of Saurabh Garg.
- At present, Amit Agrawal also serves as the Chairman of the National Digital Communications Policy Committee.
About Amit Agarwal:
i.Prior to joining UIDAI as CEO, he served as an Additional Secretary in the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY).
ii.He has also served as an Additional Secretary and Joint Secretary in the Department of Financial Services, Ministry of Finance.
iii.He served as the Finance Secretary and the Secretary in charge of the Departments of Commercial Tax and Technical Education in the Chhattisgarh Government among other roles.
iv.He also served as a Director on the Board of the Bank of Baroda(BoB) and United India Insurance Company Ltd(UIIC).
v.Previously he has also served as,
- Director in the Prime Minister’s Office;
- Adviser and Director in the Office of Prime Minister’s Economic Advisory Council (EAC);
- Officer on Special Duty with the Chairman of the National Innovation Council;
- Head of various State Government departments and agencies; and
- Head of District-level Local Governments.
- He has earlier served on the Boards of various companies, including Indian Bank, and ICICI Bank.
- He is an officer of the 1993 batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) from the Chhattisgarh cadre.
About Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI):
It is a statutory authority, to create Unique Identification (UID) Numbers named Aadhaar to all citizens of India.
It was established under the provisions of the Aadhaar Act, 2016 (“Aadhaar Act 2016”) on 12 July 2016 by the Government of India, under the MeitY.
Chairperson (Part-time)– Neelkanth Mishra
CEO– Amit Agrawal
Headquarters– New Delhi, Delhi
Founded on– 28 January 2009
ACC Reappoints Nitin Gupta as Chairman of CBDTThe Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the re-appointment of Nitin Gupta as the chairman of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) for a tenure of 9-month with effect from 1st October 2023.
- He was re-appointment on a contract basis till 30th June 2024, or until further orders, whichever is earlier, in relaxation of the recruitment rules, on usual terms and conditions applicable to re-employed central government officers.
About Nitin Gupta:
i.Nitin Gupta is a 1986-batch Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officer of the Income-Tax department.
ii.In June 2022, he was appointed as the Chairperson of CBDT following the superannuation of Sangeeta Singh, a 1986-batch IRS officer.
- His 1st tenure as Chairperson of CBDT was from 27th June 2022 to 30th September 2023.
iii.Earlier to that, he was a Member of CBDT handling the charge of Investigation.
iv.He also served as a Director General of Competition Commission Of India(CCI) from 2015-18.
About Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT):
The Central Board of Direct Taxes is a statutory authority functioning under the Central Board of Revenue Act, 1963.
Chairperson – Nitin Gupta
Headquarters – New Delhi, Delhi
Established in – 1964
MyGov chief Akash Tripathi to take additional charge as CEO of India Semiconductor Mission
Akash Tripathi, chief executive officer (CEO) of India’s citizen engagement platform MyGov, is set to become the CEO of India Semiconductor Mission(ISM) as additional charge from 9th October 2023.
- Akash Tripathi will succeed Amitesh Kumar Sinha whose tenure ends on 4th October 2023.
- Akash Tripathi, a 1998 batch IAS officer from Madhya Pradesh cadre has been CEO of MyGov since October 2022.
- Akash Tripathi was also MeitY’s nodal officer for social media content takedowns under Section 69 of the IT Act.
ISM was established in 2021 with a financial commitment of USD 10 billion (Rs. 76,000 crores) under the Digital India Corporation of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology(MeitY)
- ISM acts as the nodal agency for the Semiconductor Fab Scheme and Display Fab Scheme.
- The ISM evaluates proposals for manufacturing semiconductors in India and chooses candidates who are eligible for subsidies.
World Habitat Day 2023- October 2 The United Nations (UN) World Habitat Day (WHD) is annually observed across the globe on the first Monday of October to reflect on the state of cities and human settlements and promote the right to adequate shelter and the need for sustainable urbanization. WHD also launches Urban October.
- WHD also reminds people that they are also responsible for the habitat of future generations.
The WHD 2023 was observed on 2 October 2023
- The WHD 2022 was observed on 3 October 2022 and the WHD 2024 will be observed on 7 October 2024.
The 2023 theme of WHD is, “Resilient urban economies. Cities as drivers of growth and recovery“.
- The theme aims to call various city stakeholders to analyse the various aspects of economic slowdown experienced by cities worldwide due to COVID-19 and conflicts.
i.On 17 December 1985, the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) adopted a resolution (A/RES/40/202) and decided to observe the first Monday of October every year as World Habitat Day.
ii.WHD was first celebrated in 1986 with the theme “Shelter is My Right“. It was hosted by the city of Nairobi in Kenya.
>> Read Full News
International Day of Non-Violence 2023 – October 2The United Nations (UN)’s International Day of Non-Violence is annually observed across the globe on 2nd October to celebrate the birthday of Mahatma Gandhi, leader of the Indian Independence movement and pioneer of the philosophy and strategy of non-violence.
- In India, the day is observed as Gandhi Jayanthi.
- 2nd October 2023 is the 154th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi and the 17th International Day of Non-Violence.
In June 2007, the United Nations General Assembly(UNGA) adopted the resolution A/RES/61/271 and declared October 2 as the International Day of Non-Violence.
- The day aims to spread the message of ‘Say No to Violence’ through education and public awareness.
About the United Nations (UN):
Secretary-General- António Guterres
Headquarters- New York, United States of America(USA).
>> Read Full News
69th Wildlife Week – 2 to 8 October 2023Wildlife Week is annually observed across India in the month of October from 2 to 8 October to spread awareness of the importance of wildlife and its conservation in India.
- The annual observanance coincides with the birth anniversary (2 October) of Mahatma Gandhi, who championed the principles of Ahinsa (non-violence) and compassion toward all living beings.
- The 2023 marks the observance of the 69th Wildlife Week.
The theme of Wildlife Week 2023 is “Partnerships for wildlife conservation“.
- The theme is inspired by the theme of the United Nations (UN) World Wildlife Day 2023, which honours the individuals and organisations making a positive impact on wildlife conservation.
Note: The UN World Wildlife Day (WWD) is annually observed across the globe on 3 March.
i.Wildlife Week was conceptualised in 1952 when the Government of India constituted an advisory body designated as the Indian Board for Wildlife (IBWL).
- It was conceptualised with the goal of raising awareness to serve the long-term goal of safeguarding the lives of wildlife through critical action.
ii.Initially, it was marked as Wildlife Day in 1955, it later evolved into Wildlife Week in 1957.
- It is to provide the initiative with a broader perspective and more encompassing approach to conservation efforts.
iii.The first Wildlife Week was observed in 1957.
Note: The 42nd Amendment Act, 1976, Forests and Protection of Wild Animals and Birds was transferred from the State to the Concurrent List.
>> Read Full News
Current Affairs Today (AffairsCloud Today)
|Current Affairs 5 October 2023|
|National Health Authority Organizes ‘Arogya Manthan 2023’ to Celebrate Anniversaries of AB PM-JAY and ABDM|
|276th Annual Day Celebrations of DAD: Defence Minister Launched DAD Digital Initiatives SARANSH, BISWAS and e-Raksha Awaas|
|PM Launched Sankalp Saptaah to Improve Governance at Block Level|
|India’s first Solar Roof Cycling Track Inaugurated in Hyderabad|
|Ookla’s Speedtest Global Index: India is ranked 47th; UAE tops|
|NABARD Raises Rs 1,040.50 Crore in India’s First social Impact Bond|
|IOCL Approves Two Joint Ventures to Set up Compressed Biogas Plants|
|Katalin Karikó and Drew Weissman Wins Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2023|
|Sudha Murty Becomes 1st Woman to Get Global Indian Award|
|ACC Extends Amit Agrawal’s Tenure as UIDAI CEO for 1 Year|
|ACC Reappoints Nitin Gupta as Chairman of CBDT|
|MyGov chief Akash Tripathi to take additional charge as CEO of India Semiconductor Mission|
|World Habitat Day 2023- October 2|
|International Day of Non-Violence 2023 – October 2|
|69th Wildlife Week – 2 to 8 October 2023|
Aspirant: Does Affairscloud covers all the Current affairs topics related to examinations?
Affairscloud: We Guaranteed All the Important topics related to examination are covered in Our Daily CA content and Daily CA Quizzes.
Aspirant: Why is there a delayal in news?
Affairscloud: As some of the major news sites doesn’t provide the required data on the exact day, we take extra time for important data to be presented to the aspirants on the examination basis to ensure nothing is missed.
Example: In ‘Important Days’ topics the International Organisations publish their reports and Rankings in the evenings, to make sure every data is covered, we delay the topics to the next day.