We are here for you to provide the important Recent and Latest Current Affairs 4 October 2023, which have unique updates of Latest Current Affairs 2023 events from all newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economic Times, PIB, Times of India, PTI, Indian Express, Business Standard and all Government official websites.
Our Current Affairs October 2023 events will help you to get more marks in Banking, Insurance, SSC, Railways, UPSC, CLAT and all State Government Exams. Also, try our Latest Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2023 PDF which will be a pedestrian to crack your exams.
Read Current Affairs in CareersCloud APP, Course Name – Learn Current Affairs – Free Course – Click Here to Download the APP
President Droupadi Murmu Gives Assent to Women’s Reservation Bill 2023
On September 29, 2023, as per the notification issued by the Union Law Minister Arjun Ram Meghwal ,President Droupadi Murmu has granted assent to the Women’s Reservation Bill 2023, which mandates a 33% reservation (one-third of total seats) for women in the Lok Sabha, State Legislative assemblies, and National Capital Territory (NCT) of Delhi. This historic decision was officially approved by the President on September 28, 2023.
- Vice President and Rajya Sabha Chairperson, Jagdeep Dhankhar on September 28 signed the women’s reservation Bill as passed by Parliament before it was presented to President Droupadi Murmu for her assent.
- Following the President’s assent, this Bill will be recognized as the Constitution (106th Amendment) Act.
- The Women’s Reservation Bill 2023, officially titled as The Constitution (128th Amendment) Bill, 2023 and commonly referred to as Nari Shakti Vandan Adhiniyam, has been introduced in the Indian Parliament.
- This bill, which aims to enhance gender representation, was introduced in the Lok Sabha on 19th September 2023 during a special parliamentary session.
- The Women’s Reservation Bill cannot be enacted into law until the year 2026.The bill can only become effective after a process known as “delimitation” is carried out in the country.Delimitation is necessary to allocate seats in the Lok Sabha and state legislative assemblies in a manner that reserves a specific percentage (in this case, 33 percent) for women.
Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan Launched Bharatiya Bhasha Utsav and Technology & Bharatiya Bhasha Summit On 30th September 2023, Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan, the Ministry of Education(MoE) and the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE), launched the Bharatiya Bhasha Utsav and inaugurated the two-day Technology & Bharatiya Bhasha summit in New Delhi, Delhi.
- The 2-day summit, held from 30th September to 1st October 2023, was organised as a part of the 75-day Bharatiya Bhasha Utsav that commenced on 28 September 2023 and will conclude on 11 December 2023.
- An exhibition was also set up to showcase Bharatiya Bhasha technology products, and their applications by the industries, government organizations, and start-ups.
About Ministry of Education (MoE):
Union Minister– Dharmendra Pradhan (Rajya Sabha Madhya Pradesh)
Ministers of State– Annpurna Devi (Constituency- Kodarma,Jharkhand); Dr. Subhas Sarkar (Constituency- Bankura, West Bengal); Dr. Rajkumar Ranjan Singh (Constituency- Inner Manipur, Manipur)
>> Read Full News
BANKING & FINANCE
HDFC Pension Launches a First-of-its-kind NPS Preference Index on the Occasion of NPS DiwasHDFC Pension Management Company Limited has launched a first-of-its-kind ‘National Pension System (NPS) Preference Index’ on the occasion of 2nd edition of NPS Diwas which was observed on 1st October 2023.
- HDFC Pension also released NPS Preference Index Study which is the industry first spotlight on NPS.
- HDFC Pension Management Company Limited,a subsidiary of HDFC Life Insurance Company Limited is one of the Pension Fund Managers (PFM’s) appointed by Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) in India to manage funds for the National Pension System (NPS).
What is NPS?
i.National Pension System (NPS) is a voluntary, defined-contribution pension scheme.It is a government-backed retirement savings program designed to provide financial security after retirement.
ii.It was launched in India in 2004.
iii.It is open to all Indian citizens between the ages of 18 and 70.
iv.It is regulated by the Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA).
v.The National Pension System (NPS) in India operates through a unique identification number called the Permanent Retirement Account Number (PRAN). This PRAN is allocated to every subscriber and is used for all transactions and communications related to the NPS.
NPS Preference Index Study 2023:
i.The aim of the survey is to assess consumers’ views on retirement and their awareness, interest, and contemplation of the NPS.This resulting in the framing NPS Preference Index, which can be tracked over time.
- Additionally, the North region exhibits the highest NPS Preference Index (57) in comparison to other regions, signifying a strong inclination towards NPS among people in the northern part of the country.
ii.This research has been conducted in association with an independent market researcher Ipsos Research Private Limited.
iii.The Index is a powerful metric derived from three broad aspects such as
- Familiarity with NPS
- Appeal of NPS
- Consideration for NPS
i.The survey results show that the NPS Preference Index is currently 54 out of 100. This means that the NPS is at moderate level and is equally influenced by the three pillars.
ii.The study indicates that 32years is the ideal age to start retirement
planning as per consumers.
iii.Despite being relatively new, the NPS is a popular financial investment option for retirement planning, with 24% of people owning it.
iv.Tax benefits, peers, and financial advisors encourage people to buy NPS, but educating people about NPS and its features is essential to increase adoption.
About NPS Diwas:
i.The Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) observes National Pension System Diwas (NPS Diwas) every year on 1st October.
- The day aims to promote pension and retirement planning among the people of India, and make them financial independence post retirement.
ii.It is a campaign under ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’.
iii.The day was first observed on 1st October 2022.
This research study was based on the responses od the people in NCCS (New Consumer Classification System) A households with annual incomes above Rs10 lakhs (or Rs 7 lakhs in Tier III cities) in 12 Indian cities between August and September 2023.
About HDFC Pension Management Company Limited:
HDFC Pension Management Company Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of HDFC Life Insurance Company Limited.
Chief Executive Officer(CEO) – Sriram Iyer
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
Established in – 2011
WDRA Signs MoU with Bank of India to Fund against e-NWRs
Warehousing Development Regulatory Authority (WDRA) signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Bank of India (BoI) to fund against e-NWRs (electronic Negotiable Warehouse Receipt).
- The MoU was signed in the presence of T.K Manoj Kumar, Chairperson, WDRA, Rajneesh Karnatak, Managing director (MD) cum Chief Executive Officer (CEO), BoI.
- The MoU also aims to provide information to depositors about the benefits, besides doing further outreach activities to improve agricultural pledge finance in India.
- The MoU aims to facilitate farmers and traders by offering low-interest rate loans, no Additional collateral, and attractive interest rates.
- Electronic Negotiable Warehouse Receipt (eNWR) is a digital warehousing receipt issued by registered warehouses regulated and governed by WDRA.
- The farmers were given e-NWRs once they stored their produce in scientific storage godowns authorised by WDRA and seek loan from e-NWRsbanks against their e-NWR.
The WDRA is a Statutory Authority under the Department of Food and Public Distribution(DFPD) of the Ministry of Consumer Affairs Food and Public Distribution.
SBI Life Insurance & State Bank of Sikkim Sign a Bancassurance Pact to Offer Insurance Products
State Bank of India (SBI) Life Insurance Company Limited signed a bancassurance pact with the State Bank of Sikkim (SBS) to make insurance solutions accessible to the residents of Sikkim.
- The agreement was signed by P. Wangdi Bhutia, Managing Director, State Bank of Sikkim, and Jayant Pandey, Regional Director- Bengal region, SBI Life Insurance at the SBS’s headquarters in Gangtok, Sikkim.
- Bancassurance is an agreement between a bank and an insurance company, through which the insurer can sell its products to the bank’s customers.
- Through this partnership, the State Bank of Sikkim offers SBI Life’s diverse range of protection, wealth creation, and savings insurance products to its customers.
SBI Life Insurance is a joint venture between State Bank of India (SBI) (55.50%) and French financial institution BNP Paribas Cardif.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
Captain Bana Singh PVC Nominated as Ambassador for ‘War Against Waste’ in J&KThe Directorate of Rural Sanitation, Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir(J&K) has nominated Param Vir Chakra(PVC) Awardee Captain Bana Singh as the ambassador for the “War Against Waste”, initiative to takle sanitation challenges in rural areas of J&K.
- The “War Against Waste” campaign attempts to resolve waste management and environmental conservation challenges in rural J&K.
- Captain Bana Singh’s participation in the cause will create awareness, encourage sustainable practices, and inspire local populations to actively participate in waste reduction and the preservation of J&K’s scenery.
- Charandeep Singh, Director of Rural Sanitation of J&K announced the nomination of ambassador at Captain Bana Singh Stadium, R. S. Pura, Jammu during the Swachhata Hi Seva (SHS 2023) campaign.
About Captain Bana Singh:
i.Captain Bana Singh served in the 8th Jammu & Kashmir Light Infantry (JAK LI).
- He played a key role in ‘Operation Rajiv’ in which Indian armed forces’ recaptured ‘Quaid Post’ in Siachen Glacier at an altitude of 21,000 feet, from Pakistani soldiers in June 1987.
- The recaptured post was renamed as the ‘Bana Top’ in his honour.
ii.He was awarded India’s highest wartime gallantry medal “Param Vir Chakra” in 1988.
About Swachhata Hi Seva (SHS 2023):
i.The Swachhata Hi Seva (SHS 2023) campaign was celebrated from 15th September to 2nd October 2023 under the joint aegis of the Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation (DDWS) and the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA).
- The theme of SHS-2023 is ‘Garbage Free India’ with a focus on visual cleanliness and the welfare of SafaiMitras(sanitation Workers).
ii.The campaign aims to mass movement through community participation to reinforce the concept of Sanitation as everyone’s business.
iii.It also was part of Swachh Bharat Diwas (2nd October) with nationwide participation.
About Jammu and Kashmir(J&K):
Lieutenant Governor – Manoj Sinha
Dance Forms – Wuegi-Nachun, Bacha Nagma, Bhand Jashan
Festivals – Hemis Festival, Sindhu Darshan Festival, Amarnath Yatra
Mohamed Muizzu Elected as the President of MaldivesMohamed Muizzu of the Progressive Party of Maldives (PPM) was elected as the New President of Maldives. He is set to be sworn in on 17th November 2023.
- He defeated the incumbent President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih (2018 to 2023) of the Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) by securing 54% of the votes.
About Mohamed Muizzu:
i.The 45-year-old Mohamed Muizzu is currently serving as the mayor of the capital Male since 2021, and he is the first mayor of Male to be elected by the people.
ii.He had served as the minister of housing and environment from 2012 to 2018 under then-Maldives president Abdulla Yameen.
- During his tenure as minister, he oversaw the building of the China-Maldives friendship bridge that connects the capital Male’, the international airport on Hulhule, and man-made Hulhumale Island.
iii.He had also served as the Governor of the Maldives for the Asian Infrastructure Development Bank (AIDB).
About the 2023 Election:
i.The candidate need to secures the necessary 50% to win in the Presidential elections in Maldives.
- In the 1st round, Mohamed Muizzu secured 46 % while Ibrahim Solih secured 39%, none of them cross the threshold mark of 50%.
- In the 2nd round, Mohamed Muizzu led with the 53 % of the polled while Ibrahim Solih secured only 46%.
The Maldives is an island nation in the Indian Ocean, comprised of 1192 islands that stretch along a length of 871 kilometers.
President – Mohamed Muizzu
Capital – Male
Currency – Maldivian Rufiyaa
Shanth Kumar Elected as PTI Chairman; Praveen Someshwar as Vice-Chairman
K.N. Shanth Kumar of Deccan Herald was elected as the Chairman of the Press Trust of India (PTI) for the one-year term and Praveen Someshwar, the Chief Executive Officer of Hindustan Times, was elected as the Vice-Chairman.
- Shanth Kumar succeeds Aveek Kumar Sarkar, who had served as Chairman of PTI for 2 consecutive terms (2020 – 2023). Shanth Kumar has previously held the Chairmanship of PTI from 2013 to 2014.
- The election took place at a meeting of PTI’s Board of Directors following their Annual General Meeting at the headquarters of PTI in New Delhi, Delhi.
About K.N. Shanth Kumar: K.N. Shanth Kumar has been editor and director with The Printers (Mysore) since 1983.
- The Printers (Mysore) are the publishers of Deccan Herald and Prajavani newspapers and related publications.
- He was also the Chairman of the Audit Bureau of Circulation (ABC) and a member of the Indian Newspaper Society (INS) Executive Committee for more than 20 years.
About Praveen Someshwar: Someshwar also led PepsiCo’s business in the food and beverage sector across Asia.
PTI is India’s largest and oldest private news agency which was registered in 1947 and started functioning in 1949.
Indian Army celebrated 197th Gunners Day – 28th September 2023
The Regiment of Artillery, an operational arm of Indian Army, annually observes September 28th as the “Gunners Day”.
- The 28th of September 2023 marks the observance of the 197th Gunners day.
- The day commemorates the raising of 5 (Bombay) Mountain Battery, equipped with 2.5-inch Guns as the 8th Company of the Golandaz Battalion, Bombay Foot Artillery (India’s first Artillery unit), on 28th September 1827.
What is Artilley?
Artillery refers to a group of soldiers primarily armed with some form of manufactured weapon or armour.
About Regiment of Artillery:
i.The Regiment of Artillery, the second-largest arm of the Indian Army, has been a part of the Indian defence since its independence.
ii.The motto of the Regiment is Sarvatra Izat-o-Iqbal (Everywhere with Honour and Glory).
Contribution & Recognition:
i.The regiment made their contribution is post independence wars such as Indo-China war 1962, Indo-Pakistan war 1947, Indo-Pakistan war 1965, Indo-Pakistan war 1965 and Kargil war 1999.
ii.The regiment was recognised with honours such as:
- Pre-independence era: One Victoria Cross, One Distinguished Service Order & 15 Military Crosses.
- Post independence era: One Ashok Chakra, Seven Maha Vir Chakras, Nine Kirti Chakras, One Hundred and One Vir Chakras, Sixty Nine Shaurya Chakras, 6 Bar to Sena Medal, 502 Sena Medals besides many other decorations.
Breast Cancer Awareness Month 2023 – October 1 to 31Breast Cancer Awareness Month (BCAM) is annually observed across the globe during the month of October (from October 1 to 31) to raise awareness about breast cancer, promote early detection, support those affected by the disease, and raise funds for research, prevention, and treatment.
- BCAM, the month-long global health campaign, serves as a reminder of the significance of regular breast examinations and mammograms to detect breast cancer at an early, more treatable stage.
Symbol: The pink ribbon is an international symbol of support for breast cancer awareness month.
- In a global effort to raise awareness of breast cancer, October has been designated as “Pink Month“.
i.The event started as National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (NBCAM), a weeklong event in October 1985.
ii.It was organised in partnership between the American Cancer Society (ACS) and the pharmaceutical division of Imperial Chemical Industries, which would later become part of AstraZeneca.
- NBCAM was organised to promote mammograms as the most effective tool to fight breast cancer.
International Day of Older Persons 2023 – October 1The United Nations (UN)’s International Day of Older Persons (IDOP) is annually observed across the globe on October 1 to raise awareness of the contributions and achievements of older individuals (defined as those aged 65 years or older) in society, as well as to promote their well-being and inclusion in all aspects of life.
- 1st October 2023 marks the observance of the 33nd anniversary of the IDOP.
The theme for IDOP 2023 is “Fulfilling the Promises of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights for Older Persons: Across Generations.”
- The theme highlights the unique needs of older people globally in terms of their rights and reporting violations, in addition to fostering solidarity through equity and reciprocity between the generations offers long-term solutions to fulfil the Sustainable Development Goals’ (SDG) promise.
International Coffee Day 2023- October 1International Coffee Day (ICD) is annually observed across the globe on 1 October to celebrate and promote the global love and appreciation for coffee. This day provides an opportunity to recognize the significant cultural, economic, and social impact of coffee around the world.
- ICD aims to recognise the millions of people across the globe, from farmers to roasters, baristas, coffee shop owners, and more, who work hard to create and serve the beverage.
The 2023 theme of International Coffee Day is, “promoting the right to a safe and healthy working environment in the coffee supply chain”.
- ICD is celebrated by the International Coffee Organisation (ICO), with its 77 Member States and dozens of coffee associations from around the world.
i.In March 2014, the Member States of the ICO agreed to observe International Coffee Day on 1 October of every year to create a single day of celebration for coffee lovers around the world.
ii.The first official International Coffee Day was observed on 1 October 2015 by 74 member states of the ICO and 26 coffee associations from around the world.
- ICD is a celebration of the coffee sector’s diversity, quality, and passion.
iii.The first ICD coincides with the 115th session of the International Coffee Council (ICC) and the first Global Coffee Forum (GCF) which took place during Expo Milan 2015 in Milan, Italy.
About International Coffee Organisation (ICO):
Chair of the International Coffee Council (ICC 2022-2023)– Massimiliano Fabian
Executive Director– Vanúsia Nogueira
Headquarters– London, United Kingdom
ICO is the main intergovernmental organization for coffee. Its Member governments represent 98% of world coffee production and 67% of world consumption.
ICO was set up in 1963 under the auspices of the UN.
>> Read Full News
World Vegetarian Day 2023 – October 1 World Vegetarian Day(WVD) is annually observed across the globe on October 1 to promote the joy, compassion and life-enhancing possibilities of vegetarianism.
- World Vegetarian Day marks the beginning of Vegetarian Awareness Month, which begins on 1st October and concludes on 1st November, World Vegan Day.
i.World Vegetarian Day was formed in 1977 by the North American Vegetarian Society (NAVS).
ii.The day was endorsed by the International Vegetarian Union (IVU) in 1978.
iii.As of now World Vegetarian Day is celebrated in more than 180 countries around the world.
- It is also recognized as a national day in several countries, including India, Brazil, China, France, and Thailand.
i.The day spread the benefits of a vegetarian lifestyle and encourages people to explore plant-based diets to create positive impact on health and the environment.
ii.Around 22% of the global population is vegetarian.
iii.Most number of vegetarians reside in India with 38% of the total population following meat-less diet .
- Followed by Israel and Taiwan with 13% and 12% respectively.
Types Of Vegetarians
Vegetarians are individuals who typically do not eat animal products, but some groups are defined by the types of animal-derived foods that they eat.
i.Lacto-ovo vegetarians: They consume eggs and dairy products but do not eat any meat, poultry, or fish.
ii.Lacto vegetarians: they omit eggs, meat, fish, and poultry, but do consume dairy products.
iii.Vegans: They omit all foods derived from animals, including eggs, dairy, meat, fish, and poultry.
Uttarakhand CM UK Visit from 25-28th September 2023: MoUs worth Rs. 12,500 Crore Signed for Investment ProposalsUttarakhand Chief Minister (CM) Pushkar Singh Dhami visited the United Kingdom (UK) from September 26-28, 2023 to invite Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) and industrialists for the upcoming Uttarakhand Global Investor Summit to be held in Dehradun, Uttarakhand in December 2023 to achieve the goal of a strong Uttarakhand.
- He participated in a roadshow organised for the Global Investors’ Summit in Birmingham (UK) and held a meeting with various industrialists.
- On his 4-day visit, the Uttarakhand government signed a Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs) with various companies for investment proposals worth more than Rs 12,500 crore.
Uttarakhand CM participated in the Roadshow organized for the Global Investors Summit in Birmingham (UK) and held discussions with various prospective industrialists of Birmingham.
- The theme of the Global Investor Summit to be organized in Uttarakhand has been kept as “Peace to Prosperity”.
Uttarakhand CM participated in the Roadshow organized for the Global Investors Summit in Birmingham (UK) and held discussions with various prospective industrialists of Birmingham.
Investment MoUs worth Rs 3,000 crore were signed by the government of Uttarakhand during Pushkar Singh Dami’s 4-day visit to the UK. The MoUs were signed with 2 companies during the meeting organised for the Global Investors Summit in London, UK.
- An MoU worth Rs 2,000 crore was signed with Aager Technology and another for investment worth Rs 1,000 crore with Fira Barcelona.
Chief Minister– Pushkar Singh Dhami
Governor– Gurmit Singh
Festivals– Magh Mela (January – February) and Nanda Raj Jat (August – September once in every twelve years)
>> Read Full News
Tripura Launches “Yuba Tripura, Natun Tripura, Atmanirbhar Tripura” to Encourage Youth Entrepreneurship
Tripura Chief Minister(CM) Manik Saha launched “Yuba Tripura, Natun Tripura, Atmanirbhar Tripura”, an initiative of the Tripura Industries Development Corporation Limited (TIDCL) to encourage youth to set up industrial and business units.
- The initiative is intended to provide exposure and guidance to 100 interested individuals aged 18 to 45 from each of Tripura’s eight districts, encouraging them to embark on their entrepreneurial paths.
- They will be provided with insights into small, medium, and large-scale industries, followed by a presentation on government schemes, policies, and incentives by the Industries and Commerce Department of Tripura government.
- Representatives from NABARD and several lead banks will explain available loan facilities to the participants.
Current Affairs Today (AffairsCloud Today)
|Current Affairs 4 October 2023|
|President Droupadi Murmu gives assent to Women’s Reservation Bill|
|Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan Launched Bharatiya Bhasha Utsav and Technology & Bharatiya Bhasha Summit|
|HDFC Pension Launches a First-of-its-kind NPS Preference Index on the Occasion of NPS Diwas|
|WDRA Signs MoU with Bank of India to Fund against e-NWRs|
|SBI Life Insurance & State Bank of Sikkim Sign a Bancassurance Pact to Offer Insurance Products|
|Captain Bana Singh PVC Nominated as Ambassador for ‘War Against Waste’ in J&K|
|Mohamed Muizzu Elected as the President of Maldives|
|Shanth Kumar Elected as PTI Chairman; Praveen Someshwar as Vice-Chairman|
|Indian Army celebrated 197th Gunners Day – 28th September 2023|
|Breast Cancer Awareness Month 2023 – October 1 to 31|
|International Day of Older Persons 2023 – October 1|
|International Coffee Day 2023- October 1|
|World Vegetarian Day 2023 – October 1|
|Uttarakhand CM UK Visit from 25-28th September 2023: MoUs worth Rs. 12,500 Crore Signed for Investment Proposals|
|Tripura Launches “Yuba Tripura, Natun Tripura, Atmanirbhar Tripura” to Encourage Youth Entrepreneurship|
Aspirant: Does Affairscloud covers all the Current affairs topics related to examinations?
Affairscloud: We Guaranteed All the Important topics related to examination are covered in Our Daily CA content and Daily CA Quizzes.
Aspirant: Why is there a delayal in news?
Affairscloud: As some of the major news sites doesn’t provide the required data on the exact day, we take extra time for important data to be presented to the aspirants on the examination basis to ensure nothing is missed.
Example: In ‘Important Days’ topics the International Organisations publish their reports and Rankings in the evenings, to make sure every data is covered, we delay the topics to the next day.