We are here for you to provide the important Recent and Latest Current Affairs 4 February 2021, which have unique updates of Latest Current Affairs 2021 events from all newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economic Times, PIB, Times of India, PTI, Indian Express, Business Standard and all Government official websites.
Our Current Affairs February 2021 events will help you to get more marks in Banking, Insurance, SSC, Railways, UPSC, CLAT and all State Government Exams. Also, try our Latest Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2021 PDF which will be a pedestrian to crack your exams.
Read Current Affairs in CareersCloud APP, Course Name – Learn Current Affairs – Free Course – Click Here to Download the APP
India’s 1st Wetland Conservation Centre to be set up at ChennaiMinister of State for Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change (MoEFCC), Babul Supriyo announced the establishment of India’s 1st Centre for Wetland Conservation and Management (CWCM) at Chennai, Tamil Nadu. It is being set up as part of the National Centre for Sustainable Coastal Management (NCSCM) Institute, a research institute under MoEFCC.
- CWCM will address research needs & knowledge gaps and will assist the Government in taking steps for conservation, restoration and management of India’s wetlands.
- It was launched on occasion of the World Wetland Day observed on February 2, 2021.
i.Functions of the CWCM:
- To Assist Government for building partnership and networks with national and international agencies for conservation of Wetlands
- To act as a knowledge hub & as a platform for knowledge exchange between State/UT Wetland Authorities, wetland users, managers, researchers, policy-makers & practitioners.
- CWCM will help national, state & UT Governments in designing & implementing policies and regulatory frameworks, management planning, monitoring & targeted research for its conservation.
Namami Gange & Wetland Conservation:
On Occasion of World Wetlands Day, the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) launched community-based programmes to raise awareness about conservation and rejuvenation of 10 wetlands in around 50 districts along River Ganga.
About Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change (MoEFCC):
Union Minister – Prakash Javadekar (Member of Rajya Sabha, elected from Maharashtra)
Minister of State – Babul Supriyo (Member of Lok Sabha elected from Asansol, West Bengal)
<<Read Full News>>
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh Inaugurates 2nd Exclusive LCA Tejas Production Plant in BengaluruOn February 2, 2021, Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited’s (HAL) 2nd Exclusive Light Combat Aircraft (LCA)-Tejas Fighter Jets Production Plant at Doddanekundi, Bangalore, Karnataka.
- The Plant will double HAL’s production capacity of LCA Tejas to 16 LCA Tejas Aircrafts a year from 2022-23 (at present it is 8).
- The Light Combat Aircraft Tejas, indigenously designed by Aircraft Development Agency (ADA) under the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- At Present, Tejas are being manufactured from the 1st LCA dedicated Plant & HAL’s Aircraft Division. The Plant inaugurated by the Defence Minister is technically the 3rd plant for production of Tejas LCA.
- The Plant will be used for the production of both Tejas Mk-1A variant & Trainer Jets
- It will generate employment for 500-600 people and help in reducing India’s dependency on Foreign Countries.
i.The production facility has been built across 35 acres and will be in full-fledged operation from the Financial Year 2021-22 onwards.
i.Delivery of Tejas LCA to IAF:
- In January, 2021, Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved INR 48, 000 Crore deal (Largest Indigenous order) for procurement of 73 Tejas Mk-1A Variants & 10 LCA Tejas Mk-1 Trainer Aircraft from HAL.
- The delivery of the Tejas LCA will begin from March 2024.
About Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL):
Chairman and Managing Director – R Madhavan
Headquarters – Bengaluru, Karnataka
<<Read Full News>>
PGIMER Launched India’s First Amputee Clinic in ChandigarhOn 1st February 2021, The Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) launched India’s first Amputee Clinic, “PGI Amputee Clinic” in Chandigarh. The PGI Amputee clinic was inaugurated by PGIMER Director Prof. Jagat Ram.
- To improve the amputation patients, care by providing collection of services in one place with significant coordination.
- This Amputee Clinic aims to unify all the diverse sections in PGIMER with the required upgradation to provide appropriate management to guide the amputees.
About the Amputee Clinic:
Need for the Amputee Clinic:
To assess the recovery and co-morbidities of the amputee with a team of occupational therapists and a psychologist.
i.Some modalities will be developed under this initiative to expand medical aid for medicine and rehabilitation of amputees who cannot afford the cost.
ii.The facility comprises specialists from various departments like orthopedics, PMR (Physical and Medical Rehabilitation), occupational/ physiotherapy, prosthetics, psychologists and nursing department.
iii.The clinic will also run an Amputee school following the success of the Knee School which is running at PGIMER.
i.The amputee clinic will provide complete care to the patient in one place which will ensure a stress and anxiety free rehabilitation process.
ii.This will also help to develop a comprehensive database which will also provide a platform for future research.
iii.This will also provide the essential information on the burden, long term complications and issues in rehabilitation of the amputees.
Director– Dr. Jagat Ram
Started in– 1962
Function under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
UP’s Shravasti Tops Niti Aayog’s Aspirational Districts Ranking in December 2020
The Shravasti district of Uttar Pradesh(UP) topped the Aspirational Districts Ranking of Niti Aayog in December 2020, the ranking is done every month. Health and nutrition, education, agriculture and water resources, financial inclusion, skill development and basic infrastructure were the development areas that were considered for the ranking.
- The aspirational district programme was launched in January 2018 with an aim to transform the districts with lesser progress in the key social areas and have identified pockets of under development.
Dhalai of Tripura secured the 2nd position followed by Garhwa of Jharkhand, Baksa of Assam and Bokaro of Jharkhand in 3rd, 4th and 5th position respectively.
India slips to 53rd Rank in EIU’s Democracy Index 2020; Norway tops the IndexAccording to the ‘Democracy Index 2020’ released by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), India with a score of 6.61 slipped two places to 53rd Rank (out of 167 countries) in the Index due to decline in Civil Liberties. Norway topped the index followed by Iceland & Sweden.
The handling of Coronavirus Pandemic has led to a further decline of civil liberties in 2020 in India, Asia and other regions of the world.
i.The Rankings are based on 5 Categories
- Electoral Process & Pluralism
- Functioning of Government
- Political Participation
- Political Culture
- Civil Liberties
Top 3 Countries:
Bottom 3 Countries:
|165||Central African Republic||1.32|
About Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU):
Managing Director – Robin Bew
Headquarters – London, United Kingdom
<<Read Full News>>
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI Appointed External Professional IT Firm to Audit HDFC Bank’s IT Infrastructurei.The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has appointed an external professional IT firm to carry out a special audit of the entire IT infrastructure of HDFC bank under Section 30 (1-B) of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949.
ii.The audit will be conducted at the cost of the bank under Section 30 (1-C) of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949.
iii.The name of the IT firm was not disclosed.
iv.This appointment is part of RBI’s check to examine whether the bank has improved its digital capabilities following recent issues.
About HDFC Bank:
Incorporated– August 1994
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
Managing Director(MD) and Chief Executive Officer(CEO)– Sashidhar Jagdishan(Succeeds Aditya Puri)
Tagline– We understand your world
<<Read Full News>>
SEBI Revises Objective, Eligibility Criteria of Innovation Sandbox On February 3, 2021 The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) revised the objective and eligibility criteria of innovation sandbox.
Aim: To encourage innovation and boost participation in the securities market
Revisions of Innovation Sandbox:
To promote innovation in terms of new products and services, besides as a new way to deliver existing products and services for the following purpose:
- Create new opportunities in the securities market
- Make existing services more efficient, investor friendly and inclusive
There are 2 stages with each having its own eligibility criteria.
About Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI):
Establishment– April 12, 1992 in accordance with the provisions of the Securities and Exchange Board of India Act, 1992.
Chairman– Ajay Tyagi
Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra
<<Read Full News>>
AMCs of Mutual Funds to Set Up LPCC by Contributing Rs 150 Crore: SEBI i.On February 2, 2021 Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has released the guidelines to set up Limited Purpose Clearing Corporation (LPCC) by Asset Management Companies (AMCs) of Mutual Funds(MFs).
ii.As per the guidelines, AMCs needs to contribute Rs 150 crore towards share capital of LPCC.
iii.Purpose of LPCC- To clear and settle the repo transactions in corporate debt securities.
What are the Basic Functions of SEBI?
The basic functions of SEBI is to protect the interests of investors in securities and to promote the development of, and to regulate the securities market and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
<<Read Full News>>
Federal Bank Launched FedFirst, a Special Savings Account for Childreni.On February 3, 2021 Federal Bank Ltd launched FedFirst, a special savings account for children up to age of 18 years (both Resident and Non Resident Indians-NRIs).
ii.The account is designed to help children learn about the importance of money management.
iii.FedFirst contactless Debit Card is given to this account holder.
- To enable children to inculcate savings habit and develop healthy spending habits
- To help children know about financial planning
About Federal Bank Ltd :
Headquarters– Aluva, Kerala
Managing Director(MD) & Chief Executive Officer(CEO)– Mr. Shyam Srinivasan
Tagline – Your Perfect Banking Partner
Incorporated– April 23, 1931 as the Travancore Federal Bank Limited, Nedumpuram, Kerala under the Travancore Companies Regulation, 1916.
<<Read Full News>>
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
PFC raises USD 500 Million: Largest Tenor Bond Issuance from India in 2021Power Finance Corporation (PFC) has successfully raised USD 500 Million through issuance of USD Denominated Bonds under ‘Reg S route’. The Bonds have a Fixed Coupon of 3.35% and will mature on May 16, 2031 making it the Longest Tenor Bond Issuance from India since the start of 2021.
- Totally it has raised around USD 2.55 Billion, which is an oversubscription of 5.1 times.
- The funds will be used for the purpose of Lending to Power Sector Utilities.
- The proceeds will be utilized based on the External Commercial Borrowing regulations of the Reserve Bank of India.
About Power Finance Corporation Ltd (PFC):
It is a Government of India Undertaking company
Chairman & Managing Director (CMD) – Ravinder Singh Dhillon
Headquarters – New Delhi
<<Read Full News>>
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
“Aatmanirbharta” named Oxford Hindi Word of 2020
The Oxford Languages has named “Aatmanirbharta or Self-Reliance” as the Hindi Word of the year 2020 since it validated the day-to-day achievements of the countless Indians who dealt with and survived the perils of a pandemic. The major success of the Aatmanirbhar Bharat campaign is the large-scale production of the COVID-19 vaccine in India.
- The word was chosen by the advisory panel of language experts: Kritika Agrawal, Poonam Nigam Sahay and Imogen Foxell.
- The oxford Hindi word of the year is chosen to reflect the mood of the year and have a lasting potential as a term of cultural significance.
- In 2017, Aadhar was chosen as the first Hindi World of the year and Hindi Word of the Year 2019 was “Samvidhaan or the Constitution” and 2018 was “Nari Shakti or women empowerment”.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
Jeff Bezos to Step Down as CEO of Amazon; Andy Jassy Succeeds Jeff BezosOn 2nd February 2021, Jeff Bezos, the Founder and CEO of Amazon, will step down as the CEO of Amazon in the third quarter October 2021 and Andy Jassy, the lead of Amazon Web Services(AWS), the cloud computing unit of Amazon will take over as the New CEO.
- Jeff Bezos will be taking up the role of executive chair of the Amazon’s Board of Directors.
- He also stated that he would be focusing on the new products, early initiatives and Philanthropic giving through like Day 1 Fund and the Bezos Earth Fund; Blue Origin, his secretive space venture
Amazon and Jeff Bezos:
i.Jeff Bezos started Amazon Inc as an online bookseller in Seattle in 1994.
ii.According to the Bloomberg’s Billionaires Index, with a net worth of around 196 billion USD, Bezos became one of the World richest person.
iii.Amazon has become the leading company in e-commerce, smart homes, internet streaming and cloud computing.
About Andy Jassy:
Andy Jassy, a MBA graduate from Harvard Business School joined Amazon in 1997 and he founded AWS, Amazon’s cloud service platform in 2006.
CEO- Jeff Bezos (Will be Succeeded by Andy Jassy)
Headquarters– Seattle, Washington, USA
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Skyroot Aerospace Signs Non-Disclosure Agreement with ISRO Skyroot Aerospace has signed a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) with Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) on behalf of Department of Space (DoS), through which Skyroot Aerospace can use the facilities & technical expertise in ISRO centers for development of their Launch Vehicle Development Program.
- The NDA boosts the Skyroot Aerospace’s programme to launch India’s first-ever privately-designed and developed rocket, Vikram-1.
- Vikram-1 is expected to be launched by December, 2021.
- Vikram-1 will be used for launching small satellites by ISRO & other space research organisations.
- Skyroot Aerospace is the 2nd Private Company after Agnikul Cosmos Pvt Ltd to sign an NDA with ISRO for utilizing its facilities & technical expertise.
- It is a startup founded by Former scientists of ISRO, it has raised USD 4.3 million and has set a target to raise USD 15 Million in 2021.
- It has investments from Mukesh Bansal (Founder of Myntra), Solar Industries (India’s largest explosives manufacturer & renowned Space & Defence Contractor), Vedanshu Investments & Angel investors.
About Skyroot Aerospace:
CEO – Pawan Kumar Chandana
Headquarters– Hyderabad, Telangana
<<Read Full News>>
Indian Cricketer Ashok Dinda Announced His Retirement From All Forms Of CricketOn 2nd February 2021, Indian bowler Ashok Dinda announced his retirement from all formats of Cricket at the age of 36. He is one of the quick bowlers in Indian Domestic cricket.He Hails from West Bengal.
About Ashok Dinda:
i.He made his One Day International (ODI) debut in May 2010 against Zimbabwe.
ii.He has around 420 first class wickets and has featured 13 ODIs and 9 Twenty20 (T20) representing India and took 12 and 17 wickets respectively.
iii.He has also represented Kolkata Knight Riders and Pune Warriors, Delhi Daredevils, Rising Pune Supergiants and Royal Challengers Bangalore in the Indian Premier League(IPL) and he has played a total of 78 IPL games and taken 68 wickets.
iv.He has played 3 Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy matches representing Goa.
Uddhav Thackeray Maharashtra CM Launched Intellectual Property Rights Scheme & Quality Testing & Certification Schemei.On 2nd February 2021, Uddhav Thackeray, Chief Minister of Maharashtra launched Intellectual Property Rights Scheme and Quality Testing & Certification Scheme to provide financial support to the innovative startups to file for IT patents.
ii.Both the schemes will be implemented by the Maharashtra State Innovation Society(MSInS) under the Department of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, Government of Maharashtra.
iii.Intellectual Property Support Scheme:Under this Scheme more than 125 to 150 startups will be supported in the first phase of the scheme with a financial support of upto Rs.2 lakh for Domestic Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Applications and upto Rs.10 Lakh for International IPR Applications.
iv.Quality Testing Scheme:Under this scheme, the startups will receive around Rs. 2 lakh for quality testing and certification of the startup’s idea.
Zoological parks– Balasaheb Thackeray Gorewada International Zoological Park, Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park, Jijamata Udyan Zoo, Maharajbagh Zoo, Peshwa Udyan Zoo.
UNESCO sites– Ajanta Caves, Ellora Caves, Elephanta Caves, Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, Victorian Gothic and Art Deco Ensembles of Mumbai
<<Read Full News>>
Punjab’s First ‘Central Water Treatment Plant’ at Moga starts Drinking Water SupplyOn 3rd February 2021, Punjab’s First ‘Central Water Treatment Plant’ set up at Village Daudhar of Moga, Punjab began supply of Clean Drinking Water to 85 Villages of Moga district. This plant was built with financial assistance worth INR 232 Crores from World Bank.
i.The plant is capable of purifying 50 MLD (Millions of Liter per Day) of water from Abohar Canal Branch.
ii.The Project was developed by Larsen & Toubro (L&T), which will be responsible for operation & maintenance of the project for the next 10 years.
About World Bank:
Headquarters- Washington, D.C., United States
President- David R. Malpass
Zoological Parks- Mahendra Chaudhary Zoological Park Sri Guru Ram Dass Jee International Airport is located in Amritsar, Punjab.
Current Affairs Today (AffairsCloud Today)
|S.no||Current Affairs 4 February 2021|
|1||India’s 1st Wetland Conservation Centre to be set up at Chennai|
|2||Defence Minister Rajnath Singh Inaugurates 2nd Exclusive LCA Tejas Production Plant in Bengaluru|
|3||PGIMER Launched India’s First Amputee Clinic in Chandigarh|
|4||UP’s Shravasti Tops Niti Aayog’s Aspirational Districts Ranking in December 2020|
|5||India slips to 53rd Rank in EIU’s Democracy Index 2020; Norway tops the Index|
|6||RBI Appointed External Professional IT Firm to Audit HDFC Bank’s IT Infrastructure|
|7||SEBI Revises Objective, Eligibility Criteria of Innovation Sandbox|
|8||AMCs of Mutual Funds to Set Up LPCC by Contributing Rs 150 Crore: SEBI|
|9||Federal Bank Launched FedFirst, a Special Savings Account for Children|
|10||PFC raises USD 500 Million: Largest Tenor Bond Issuance from India in 2021|
|11||“Aatmanirbharta” named Oxford Hindi Word of 2020|
|12||Jeff Bezos to Step Down as CEO of Amazon; Andy Jassy Succeeds Jeff Bezoz|
|13||Skyroot Aerospace Signs Non-Disclosure Agreement with ISRO|
|14||Indian Cricketer Ashok Dinda Announced His Retirement From All Forms Of Cricket|
|15||Uddhav Thackeray Maharashtra CM Launched Intellectual Property Rights Scheme & Quality Testing & Certification Scheme|
|16||Punjab’s First ‘Central Water Treatment Plant’ at Moga starts Drinking Water Supply|