We are here for you to provide the important Recent and Latest Current Affairs 28 May 2021, which have unique updates of Latest Current Affairs 2021 events from all newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economic Times, PIB, Times of India, PTI, Indian Express, Business Standard and all Government official websites.
Our Current Affairs May 2021 events will help you to get more marks in Banking, Insurance, SSC, Railways, UPSC, CLAT and all State Government Exams. Also, try our Latest Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2021 PDF which will be a pedestrian to crack your exams.
Read Current Affairs in CareersCloud APP, Course Name – Learn Current Affairs – Free Course – Click Here to Download the APP
We are Hiring – Subject Matter Expert | CA Video Creator | Content Developers(Pondicherry)
VOC Port, NTCPWC sign MoU for development of Indigenous VTS The V.O. Chidambaranar Port Trust, Tuticorin, Tamil Nadu has signed an Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with National Technology Centre for Ports Waterways and Coasts (NTCPWC), IIT Madras for development of Indigenous Vessel Traffic Services (VTS) Software and for Operation, Manning and Maintenance of Vessel Traffic System.
- VOC Port is the 1st Indian Major Port to sign MoU with NTCPWC for development of Indigenous software for VTS. NTCPWC is the technology arm of the Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways.
- The MoU was signed by Captain Pravin K. Singh, Deputy Conservator, VOC Port & NTCPWC Professor K. Murali.
- The duration of the MoU for maintenance and updating of the Vessel Traffic System will be a period of 5 years (extendable upto 5 years).
- The Indigenous VTS will be developed at a cost of INR 27, 81, 600, while the Operation, Manning, and Maintenance of existing VTS will be carried out at a recurring monthly charge of INR 2, 56, 200.
About V.O. Chidambaranar Port Trust
Chairman – T. K. Ramachandran
Location – Tuticorin, Tamil Nadu
About National Technology Centre for Ports Waterways and Coasts (NTCPWC)
It is situated in IIT Madras Campus in Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Established in 2018
>>Read Full News
India, New Zealand hold 3rd Foreign Office Consultations virtuallyThe 3rd Foreign Office Consultations between India & New Zealand took place virtually on 25th May, 2021. Riva Ganguly Das, Secretary (East) led the Indian side, while Mark Sinclair, Deputy Secretary, Americas and Asia Group, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade led the New Zealand side.
i.Both sides agreed to step up engagement in areas like Defence and Security, trade and investment, space, counterterrorism, cyber security, disarmament and climate change, and strengthening people-to-people ties.
- Discussions were also held in response to COVID-19 pandemic, access to vaccines and medicines.
- Views were also exchanged on various regional issues, and they agreed to cooperate closely for ensuring a free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific region.
ii.The 2nd Foreign Office Consultations between the two countries took place on 5th February 2019 in New Delhi.
About New Zealand
Prime Minister – Jacinda Ardern
Capital – Wellington
Currency – New Zealand dollar ($) (NZD)
IIM Indore Partners With GIZ, India To Help Businesses Tackle Post-Covid Challenges
Indian Institute of Management (IIM)-Indore has partnered with The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit GmbH (GIZ), German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) to identify the challenges across pandemic-hit sectors and to figure out ways to tackle them.
i.IIM Indore received a research grant of Rs. 85.3 Lakhs.
ii.The collaboration includes two book projects, research and case studies.
iii.The institutions will study the impact of the pandemic across many sectors to understand the COVID19 effect.
iv.The book projects will capture the challenges faced by the industrial sector and the actions taken.
v.The details of the employee experience of the industrial sector will be included in research papers.
vi.The research would be based on interviews with management and government officials.
Global Average Temperature could pass 1.5° C during 2021-25: WMO, UK Met OfficeAccording to the Annual Climate Update provided by the United Kingdom (UK) Met Office and World Meteorological Organization (WMO), there is a 40% possibility of the annual average global temperature temporarily reaching 1.5° C (2.7 degrees Fahrenheit) above pre industrial levels in one of the next 5 years (2021-25).
- Average temperatures are likely to be at least 1° C (estimated to be between 0.9° C and 1.8° C) warmer in each of the coming five years (2021-25).
- At least one year between 2021-2025 will become the warmest year on record, replacing 2016.
- The temperature rise is significant, because as per the Paris Agreement signed in 2015 global leaders had committed to limit global warming to 1.5° C and well below 2° C by the end of the century.
About World Meteorological Organization (WMO):
President – Gerhard Adrian
Headquarters – Geneva, Switzerland
Members – 193 (187 Countries, 6 Member Territories)
>>Read Full News
UN Bodies set up ‘One Health’ Panel to Advise on Animal Disease RisksUnited Nation (UN) bodies viz, the World Health Organization(WHO), the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE), and the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) formed a team of experts under ‘One Health High-Level Expert Panel’ to help develop a global plan of action to prevent the spread of diseases from animals to humans.
- WHO stated animals(wildlife) as the originating source of three-quarters of all emerging infectious diseases in the world.
‘The One Health High-Level Expert Panel’ initiative was launched by Germany and France in 2020 in the backdrop of the outbreak of COVID-19. The first meeting of the panel was held in May 2021. The panel will publish its first recommendations later in 2021.
Purpose of the Expert team:
The One Health – team of experts put together by the WHO, UNEP, OIE, and FAO will advise them on developing risk assessment and surveillance frameworks and establish good practices to prevent and prepare for Zoonotic outbreaks of diseases like Zika, Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS), Ebola, COVID-19, etc.
About World Health Organization (WHO):
Director-General – Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus
Headquarters – Geneva, Switzerland
>>Read Full News
BANKING & FINANCE
IMF Plans to Include Climate, Digital tech into Economic AssessmentsIn May 2021, the International Monetary Fund(IMF), plans to update the way it conducts economic assessments to report the risks related to climate change, inequality and demographics, as well as evolving digital technologies.
- The new approach was agreed upon by the IMF’s executive board after the IMF’s first comprehensive review of its surveillance work since 2014.
i.Objective: The new approach aims to enhance the IMF’s economic analysis and assessment to be more timely, topical, targeted, and better-informed. It will help IMF members navigate coming challenges to achieve resilient growth and macroeconomic stability.
ii.Along with macro-financial factors, significant uncertainties and risks linked to digital technologies, including cryptocurrencies, climate change, inequality, demographics, and a more multipolar landscape are also included in the approach.
About International Monetary Fund(IMF):
Establishment – 1944 through the United Nations Bretton Woods Conference in the United States.
Headquarters – Washington, D.C., United States
Managing Director – Kristalina Georgieva
Member Countries– 190
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Indian Economist Amartya Sen Won Spain’s Princess of Asturias Award 2021 for Social ScienceIndian economist and Nobel Laureate Amartya Kumar Sen won Spain’s top award – Princess of Asturias Award 2021, under the Social Science category. The jury announced the list of 2021 laureates over the virtual platform.
- Amartya Sen won the award for his research on famines and his theory of human development, welfare economics and the underlying mechanisms of poverty have contributed to the fight against injustice, inequality, disease and ignorance.
- The award comprises a Joan Miro sculpture, a diploma, an insignia and a cash prize of 50,000 Euros (around Rs 44.25 lakhs).
About Princess of Asturias Awards:
i.The Princess of Asturias Awards is annually presented by the Princess of Asturias Foundation which recognises the scientific, technical, cultural, social and humanitarian work carried out at an international level by individuals, institutions or groups of individuals or institutions.
ii.The awards were first presented in 1981.
>>Read Full News
V Kartikeyan Pandian IAS honoured with FIH President’s Award 2021
IAS officer V Kartikeyan Pandian, the private secretary to Naveen Patnaik, the Chief Minister(CM) of Odisha was honoured with the President’s Award 2021 by the International Hockey Federation (Fédération Internationale de Hockey- FIH). He was honoured for his contribution towards the promotion of Hockey in Odisha and his efforts during the Mency Hockey World Cup 2018 held in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
Mali’s Interim President Bah Ndaw and PM Moctar Ouane has Resigned The Interim President of Mali Bah N’Daw and Moctar Ouane Prime minister(PM) of Mali has resigned from their post after they were arrested by the Military, led by the interim Vice President Assimi Goita.
- Assimi Goita ordered the arrest after the cabinet reshuffle in which both the president and prime minister lost their post.
- Bah N’Daw and Moctar Ouane were in charge of the transitional government formed after the Military coup against President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita.
About Bah N’Daw:
i.Bah N’Daw started his service in the armed forces in 1973.
ii.He served as the deputy chief of staff of the Air Force from 1992 to 2002 and later became the Chief of Staff.
iii.He has served as the Defence Minister of Mali from 2014 to 2015.
Currency– West African CFA Franc
Penpa Tsering Sworn in as the President of Tibetan Government-in-exileOn May 27, 2021, Penpa Tsering sworn in as the second democratically-elected president (Sikyong) of the 17th Parliament-in-Exile of the Central Tibetan Administration (CTA), the Dharamshala-based Tibetan government-in-exile.
- Penpa Tsering succeeds Lobsang Sangay, who completed his second five-year term. Dalai Lama (Tibetan spiritual leader) participated virtually in the ceremony.
- He was the former speaker of the Parliament of the CTA for two terms between 2008 and 2016. (He was elected to the parliament of Tibet in 1996).
i.This was the 3rd direct election of the Tibetan exile leadership since the Dalai Lama withdrew from any political role in the running of the exile government in 2011.
Note – India considers Tibet as part of China, though it hosts the Tibetan exiles.
About Central Tibetan Administration(CTA):
i.It is a government in exile that is claiming its status, they got exile in 1959 and the current control of the claimed territory is under the People’s Republic of China.
ii.CTA was founded by the Dalai Lama in Dharamsala, India with the cooperation of Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Rajnath Singh Launches ‘SeHAT OPD’ Portal for Armed Forces PersonnelUnion Minister of Defence Rajnath Singh virtually launched ‘Services e-Health Assistance & Tele-consultation – Outpatient Department (SeHAT OPD)’ Portal (https://sehatopd.in/). It is an online medical consultation service for Armed Forces Personnel, veterans of Armed Forces and their families.
- Objective – To provide healthcare services to patients in their homes. It provides safe and structured video based clinical consultations between a doctor in a hospital and a patient in their home.
- Developers – Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) Mohali, Headquarters Integrated Defense Staff (HQ IDS), Department of Military Affairs (DMA), Armed Forces Medical Services (AFMS).
- The portal will reduce the load on hospitals and patients will also get contactless consultations.
About Ministry of Defence
Union Minister – Rajnath Singh (Lok Sabha – Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh)
Minister of State – Shripad Yesso Naik (Lok Sabha – North Goa, Goa)
>>Read Full News
Tennis: Casper Ruud wins 2021 Geneva OpenCasper Ruud (Norway) defeated Denis Shapovalov (Canada) to win the Singles Title of the 2021 Geneva Open (18th Edition), which took place from May 16-22, 2021 at Tennis Club de Genève, Geneva, Switzerland.
- The Geneva Open is a Men’s Clay Court tournament and is part of the ATP (Association of Tennis Professionals) Tour 250 series
Stefanos Tsitsipas wins 2021 ATP Lyon Open
Stefanos Tsitsipas (Greece) defeated Cameron Norrie (Britain) to win the Singles Title of the 2021 ATP Lyon Open (4th Edition), which took place from May 17-23, 2021 at Vélodrome Georges Preveral, Lyon, France. It is the 7th ATP Title for Stefanos Tsitsipas.
- The ATP Lyon Open is a Men’s Clay Court tournament.
About Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP)
CEO – Massimo Calvelli
Headquarters – London, United Kingdom
>>Read Full News
Barcelona Beat Chelsea, Won its 1st Women’s Champions League Title
Barcelona beat Chelsea and won the UEFA (Union of European Football Associations) Women’s Champions League 2020/21 by scoring 4-0. It was Barcelona’s first Champions League title.
- Barcelona also became the first team from Spain to win Europe’s top club competition, which had been dominated recently by seven-time champions Lyon.
- Chelsea(London) was the first English team to reach the final since 2007 when Arsenal won the competition.
Chinese Agronomist, “Father Of Hybrid Rice”, Yuan Longping Passed AwayThe Chinese agricultural scientist,Yuan Longping also known as the “father of hybrid rice”, has passed away.He was born on September 7, 1930 in Beijing, Republic of China.
About Yuan Longping:
i.Yuan Longping was known for developing the first hybrid rice varieties in the 1970s.
ii.His discovery of Nan-you No. 2,transformed China into a grain surplus country for the first time by increasing China’s rice production from 5.69 billion tonnes in 1950 to 19.47 billion tonnes in 2000.
iii.In 2004, he was honoured with the World Food Prize for his achievement in developing the genetic materials and technologies essential for breeding high-yielding hybrid rice varieties.
iv.The minor planet ‘8117 Yuanlongping’ was also named after him.
v.He was also awarded with many international awards, such as
- Gold Medal Award for the Outstanding Inventor of the United Nations World Intellectual Property Organization.
- Science Prize of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.
- Rank Prize for Agronomy and Nutrition of the United Kingdom.
- Medal of Honor for Food Security and Sustainable Development of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization.
- Fukui International Koshihikari Rice Prize of Japan.
Freedom Fighter H S Doreswamy Passed awayOn May 26, 2021, Freedom fighter, Journalist, Social worker Centenarian H S Doreswamy passed away at the age of 104. He was born on April 10, 1918, in Harohalli near Bangalore, Karnataka.
i.He ran the publication house of ‘Sahitya Mandira’ and the Indian nationalist newspaper ‘Pauravani’ that voiced the aspirations of an independent India.
ii.He joined the freedom struggle at a young age and participated in the Quit India movement. He was jailed for 14 months from 1943 to1944.
i.Gandhi Seva Award- 2017 for providing outstanding service to impoverished sections of the society
ii.Basava Puraskara Award – 2018 – by the Government of Karnataka for a contribution towards social reforms
iii.Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Award – 2019 – for Lifetime Achievement
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Indian Diplomat Shivshankar Menon Authored Book Titled “India and Asian Geopolitics: The Past, Present”A new book titled “India and Asian Geopolitics: The Past, Present” has been released, which has been authored by Indian diplomat Shivshankar Menon. The book is published by Brookings Institution.
About The Book:
i.The book talks about the changes in Independent India’s foreign policy choices throughout its history and maps its present-day challenges.
ii.It also analyzes how India’s policies are likely to evolve in response to new challenges.
iii.It looks at modern India’s role in Asia’s and the broader world.
About the Author:
- Shivshankar Menon was the former National Security Adviser of India under Prime Minister of India Manmohan Singh (2010-2014).
- He had previously served as the Foreign Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs from 01 October 2006 – 31 July 2009.
International Week of Solidarity with the Peoples of Non-Self-Governing Territories 2021 – May 25 to 31The United Nations(UN)’s International Week of Solidarity with the Peoples of Non-Self-Governing Territories is annually observed across the globe from 25th to 31st May.
i.The United Nations General Assembly(UNGA) adopted the resolution A/RES/54/91 on 6th December 1999 and decided the annually observe the International Week of Solidarity with the Peoples of Non-Self-Governing Territories starting from May 25.
ii.The week was first observed in 2000.
According to the UN Charter, a Non-Self-Governing Territory is defined as a Territory “whose people have not yet attained a full measure of self-government.”
>>Read Full News
Karnataka CM Yediyurappa Launched ’Akanksha’ – Online Portal on CSR ActivitiesOn May 26, 2021, Karnataka Chief Minister(CM) B S Yediyurappa, launched an online portal named ‘Akanksha‘ to provide comprehensive details on all the Corporate Social Responsibility(CSR) activities in the state. It is the first of its kind initiative in India.
- The portal was created by the Department of Planning, Programme Monitoring and Statistics, Karnataka in collaboration with UNDP’s (United Nations Development Programme) Sustainable Development Goals Coordination Centre (SDGCC).
- NITI Ayog (The National Institution for Transforming India) Chief Executive Officer, Amitabh Kant also participated in the launch virtually.
i.The portal will enable the CSR stakeholders to align their CSR goals with Karnataka’s sustainable development goals(SDG) priorities as the portal is linked with the state’s SDG targets.
ii.Yediyurappa has specified the utilisation of Rs 175.09 crore out of CSR funds for the health sector to mitigate COVID-19 in the state.
About Corporate Social Responsibility(CSR):
i.On April 1, 2014, India became the first country to legally mandate corporate social responsibility.
ii.Applicability: Companies with Net Worth of Rs. 500 crore or more/ Turnover of Rs. 1000 crore or more/ Net Profit of Rs. 5 crores in the preceding financial year are applicable under the CSR policy.
iii.At least 2 percent of average net profits of 3 immediately preceding financial years should be spent by the companies on CSR.
>>Read Full News
“Ankur”:A Scheme To Award People For Planting Trees In MPThe Madhya Pradesh(MP) government announced the launch of Ankur, a scheme under which citizens will be awarded for planting trees during monsoon.
The Award named “Pranvayu” will be given to People who take the initiative to plant saplings.
About Ankur Scheme:
i.People can participate in the tree plantation drive by registering themselves on the Vayudoot app.
ii.A picture has to be uploaded while planting the sapling and another photograph after taking care of the sapling for 30 days.
iii.After verification, the Pranvayu Award to winners selected from each district will be given by the chief minister.
About Madhya Pradesh:
Chief Minister:Shivraj Singh Chouhan
Gujarat Governor gives assent to Gujarat Freedom of Religion (Amendment) Bill, 2021Gujarat Governor Acharya Devvrat gave his assent to the ‘Gujarat Freedom of Religion (Amendment) Bill, 2021’, which provides imprisonment of up to 10 years for fraudulent/forcible conversion by marriage.
- Gujarat Freedom of Religion (Amendment) Bill, 2021 replaces the Gujarat Freedom of Religion Act, 2003.
- The Bill was one among 7 other Bills approved by the Gujarat Governor.
Gujarat Freedom of Religion (Amendment) Bill, 2021
i.The amended bill proposes that, a forcible ‘conversion by marriage, or by getting a person married, or by aiding a person to get married’ shall invite imprisonment of 3-5 years and fine of up to INR 2 Lakh.
- If the victim is a minor, woman, Dalit or tribal, the offender will get a jail term of upto 4-7 years and a fine of upto INR 3 Lakh
- If an organisation violates the law, the person in charge shall be sentenced to minimum of 3 years and maximum of 10 years in jail.
ii.Before Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh have passed laws banning ‘fraudulent’ conversions through marriage.
Nuclear Power Plant – Kakrapar, Surat.
Dams – SardarSarovar Dam (Narmada river), Ukai Dam (Tapti River), Kadana Dam (Mahi River), Karjan Reservoir (Karjan river).
>>Read Full News
J&K Launched Scheme ‘SASCM’ for families lost bread earner to COVID-19 pandemicManoj Sinha Lieutenant Governor (Lt G) of Jammu and Kashmir(J&K) launched ‘सक्षम’ or ‘Special Assistance Scheme for Covid Mortalities (SASCM)/Saksham, a special scheme to provide financial assistance to the families that lost breadwinners to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The government of J&K has created a ‘Special Cell’ under the Social Welfare department to identify and support the families in distress.
- The assistance under this scheme will be provided starting from June 2021.
To take care of the day to day lives and ensure the financial security of the families that lost their breadwinners.
i.Under SASCM, Rs 1000 per month will be provided to the spouse or the eldest member of the family.
ii.The scheme also provides a scholarship of Rs 20000 per annum for school students and Rs 40000 per annum for college students.
iii.The beneficiaries are eligible for the scholarship for 2 children if they are not getting any other scholarship.
This is a part of the Government of J&K’s commitment towards the welfare of the vulnerable society in line with the “Sabka Saath Sabka Vikas”.
The special cell will also look into other possible assistance through the existing schemes and support for self-employment which can be extended to the families.
About Jammu and Kashmir:
National Park– Dachigam National Park, Kishtwar National Park
Folk Dance– Wuegi-Nachun, Bacha Nagma, Bhand Jashan, Hafiza Dance, Kud Dance
“Mission Oxygen Self-Reliance” Launched By Maharashtra Government
The Mission Oxygen Self-Reliance scheme was launched recently by the Maharashtra Government to address the state’s oxygen shortage.
i.Under this scheme, special incentives will be provided by the state government for the oxygen producing industries.
ii.It seeks to increase the state’s current oxygen generation capacity of 1,300 MT per day to 3,000 MT oxygen per day.
iii.Under this scheme, the government will provide incentives like minimising power costs and interest subsidy for MSMEs with fixed capital investment of up to Rs.50 crore.
iv.Only those applying before June 30 will get the benefits of this policy.
Click Here View – AC Excluded News 2021
Current Affairs Today (AffairsCloud Today)
|S.no||Current Affairs 28 May 2021|
|1||VOC Port, NTCPWC sign MoU for development of Indigenous VTS|
|2||India, New Zealand hold 3rd Foreign Office Consultations virtually|
|3||IIM Indore Partners With GIZ, India To Help Businesses Tackle Post-Covid Challenges|
|4||Global Average Temperature could pass 1.5° C during 2021-25: WMO, UK Met Office|
|5||UN Bodies set up ‘One Health’ Panel to Advise on Animal Disease Risks|
|6||IMF Plans to Include Climate, Digital tech into Economic Assessments|
|7||Indian Economist Amartya Sen Won Spain’s Princess of Asturias Award 2021 for Social Science|
|8||V Kartikeyan Pandian IAS honoured with FIH President’s Award 2021|
|9||Mali’s Interim President Bah Ndaw and PM Moctar Ouane has Resigned|
|10||Penpa Tsering Became the President of Tibetan Government-in-exile|
|11||Rajnath Singh Launches ‘SeHAT OPD’ Portal for Armed Forces Personnel|
|12||Tennis: Casper Ruud wins 2021 Geneva Open|
|13||Barcelona Beat Chelsea, Won its 1st Women’s Champions League Title|
|14||Chinese Agronomist, “Father Of Hybrid Rice”, Yuan Longping Passed Away|
|15||Freedom Fighter H S Doreswamy Passed away|
|16||Indian Diplomat Shivshankar Menon Authored Book Titled “India and Asian Geopolitics: The Past, Present”|
|17||International Week of Solidarity with the Peoples of Non-Self-Governing Territories 2021 – May 25 to 31|
|18||Karnataka CM Yediyurappa Launched ’Akanksha’ – Online Portal on CSR Activities|
|19||“Ankur”:A Scheme To Award People For Planting Trees In MP|
|20||Gujarat Governor gives assent to Gujarat Freedom of Religion (Amendment) Bill, 2021|
|21||J&K Launched Scheme ‘SASCM’ for families lost bread earner to COVID-19 pandemic|
|22||“Mission Oxygen Self-Reliance” Launched By Maharashtra Government|