We are here for you to provide the important Recent and Latest Current Affairs 27 August 2021, which have unique updates of Latest Current Affairs 2021 events from all newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economic Times, PIB, Times of India, PTI, Indian Express, Business Standard and all Government official websites.
Our Current Affairs August 2021 events will help you to get more marks in Banking, Insurance, SSC, Railways, UPSC, CLAT and all State Government Exams. Also, try our Latest Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2021 PDF which will be a pedestrian to crack your exams.
Read Current Affairs in CareersCloud APP, Course Name – Learn Current Affairs – Free Course – Click Here to Download the APP
‘SUJALAM’ , A 100 Days ODF Plus Campaign launched by Ministry of Jal ShaktiThe Ministry of Jal Shakti has launched a 100 Days campaign – ‘SUJALAM’ as part of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav celebrations to achieve Open Defecation Free (ODF) Plus Status in villages across the country by undertaking waste water management at the village level.
- It aims to create 1 million Soak-pits & other grey water management activities in the villages.
- Retrofitting of toilets through Information, Education & Communication (IEC) & community participation.
- Ensure all the new households in the villages have access to toilets.
- It will help in ensuring the sustainable management of water bodies & to revive water bodies in the villages.
- Organizing Community consultations, Khuli Baithaks & Gram Sabha meetings to analyze the current situation & Pass resolution to maintain ODF sustainability
- The campaign will boost the implementation of Swachh Bharat Mission Gramin (SBMG), phase-Ⅱ activities by increasing awareness about ODF-plus status through community participation.
About Swachh Bharat Mission Gramin (SBMG)-phase-Ⅱ
i.It will be implemented from 2020-21 to 2024-25 by the Ministry of Jal Shakti
ii.It focuses on ODF-Plus status which includes ODF sustainability & Solid and Liquid Waste Management (SLWM)
About Ministry of Jal Shakti
Union Minister – Gajendra Singh Shekhawat (Jodhpur, Rajasthan)
Minister of State (MoS) – Prahlad Singh Patel (Damoh, Madhya Pradesh), BIshweswar Tudu (Mayurbhanj, Odisha)
MIB officially recognizes NBF’s PNBSA as India’s 1st self-regulatory body for News MediaThe Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (MIB) has officially granted a status of self-regulatory body for TV news broadcasters to News Broadcasters Federation’s (NBF), ‘Professional News Broadcasters Standards Authority (PNBSA)‘ under the Cable Television Networks (Amendment) Rules, 2021.
- It makes PNBSA the first and only officially recognized self-regulatory body to get the accreditation from the government of India.
- It will regulate the news media sector while committed to fundamentals of transparency, accountability and strong self-regulation.
i.Presently, the PNBSA is also the only Indian self-regulatory body which is at par with the national standards in the domain of news media.
ii.The NBF channels presently include 24News, Alamai Sahara, IND 24, India News Gujarat, India News Haryana, India News Hindi, India News MPCG, India News Punjabi, India News Rajasthan, Republic Bangla, Republic Bharat, Republic TV, Sahara Samay, Samay Bihar, Sahara Samay, Samay Bihar, Samay Maharashtra, Samay Rajasthan, Samay UP, TV5 Kannada, TV5 Telugu, among others.
iii.It should be noted that the President of NBF is Arnab Goswami.
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman Unveiled EASE 4.0; Reviewed PSBs; Increased Family Pension to 30%In August 2021, Nirmala Sitharaman, the Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs unveiled the 4th edition of the Public Sector Bank (PSB) Reforms Agenda ‘EASE 4.0’ (Enhanced Access and Service Excellence) for 2021-22 – tech-enabled, simplified, and collaborative banking.
- The finance minister also unveiled the annual report for the PSB Reforms Agenda ‘EASE 3.0’ for 2020-21 and gave awards for best performing banks on the EASE 3.0 Banking Reforms Index.
Review on Performance of PSBs:
i.In FY21 the PSBs have reported a profit in FY21 for the 1st time after 5 years of loss. In FY21 they have gained a profit of Rs 31,817 crore compared to a loss of Rs 26,016 crore in FY20.This is the first year when PSBs have reported profit after five years of losses.
ii.Gross NPA: In FY21, the gross non-performing assets (GNPA) of PSBs has been reduced by Rs 62,000 crore to Rs 6.16 lakh crore.
iii.In FY21, PSBs have disbursed around Rs 40,819 crore of fresh personal, home and vehicle loans through digital channels.
i.Enhanced Family Pension: The Government has approved the Indian Banks’ Association’s (IBA) proposal to increase the family pension for the family of PSB employees to 30 percent of the last salary drawn.
ii.The Government has also approved the proposal to increase PSB employers Pension under the National Pension System (NPS) from the existing 10 percent to 14 percent.
About Ministry of Finance:
Union Minister – Nirmala Sitharaman (Constituency – Karnataka)
Minister of State – Pankaj Chaudhary (Constituency – Maharajganj, Uttar Pradesh), Bhagwat Kishanrao Karad (Constituency – Maharashtra)
>>Read Full News
Cabinet approvals on August 25, 2021On August 25, 2021, the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given its approval to the following proposals:
i.The Union Cabinet has approved the highest ever fair and remunerative price (FRP) of Rs 290 per quintal (qtl) at a recovery rate of 10% for sugarcane farmers for sugar season 2021-22 (October – September). The information for the same was provided by minister Piyush Vedprakash Goyal, Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution.
ii.CCEA has approved Rs 15,000-crore foreign direct investment (FDI) proposal of Anchorage Infrastructure Investment Holding Ltd, a subsidiary of Canada-based pension fund, for the investment in the infrastructure and the construction-development sectors.
iii.The Union Cabinet also approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) and Institute of Professional Accountants of Russia (IPAR).
About Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI):
President– CA. Nihar N Jambusaria
Headquarter– New Delhi
>>Read Full News
USTDA & USISPF Launched the US-India Climate Technologies Action GroupThe United States(US) Trade and Development Agency(USTDA) and the US India Strategic Partnership Forum (USISPF) launched the US-India Climate Technologies Action Group(CTAG) which aims to integrate private and public sector inputs on a concrete initiative that can contribute to advanced global action on climate.
The US-India CTAG will facilitate,
- The US industry input on the latest climate resilient technologies.
- Share the US business models with the Indian market to accelerate the development of the clean energy sector, mobilise capital for climate smart infrastructure projects in India and
- Strengthen the US-India bilateral relationship.
High level dialogue:
During the launch event, the senior government officials and business leaders from India and US were engaged in a high level dialogue on “Accelerating the Adoption of Climate Technology in India”
During the launch of CTAG, the workshop series titled “Energy Resiliency Workshop Series – India” led by USTDA, IHS Markit and USIN foundation was also launched.
About US Trade and Development Agency(USTDA):
Acting Director– Enoh T. Ebong
Headquarters– Arlington, Virginia, United States of America
About US India Strategic Partnership Forum (USISPF):
President and CEO– Dr. Mukesh Aghi
Headquarters– Washington, DC, USA
MeitY Launched Amrit Mahotsav App Innovation Challenge 2021 for Indian Entrepreneur and Start-upsThe government of India announced the Amrit Mahotsav App Innovation Challenge 2021 for Indian entrepreneurs and start-ups. Minister of state for Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY), Rajeev Chandrasekhar launched the challenge in New Delhi. It’s a continuation of last year’s Aatmanirbhar App Innovation Challenge.
Objective – To boost the development of Indian apps and enhance the promotion of existing apps
- The challenge will be available on – innovateindia.mygov.in and 30th September would be last date for submission
- Main categories- Culture & Heritage, Health, Education, Games, Entertainment, Agriculture, Business, Social media, Emerging tech, Fintech, Navigation and others
- Only Indian entrepreneurs are allowed to participate no foreign citizen allowed
i.There shall be 16 categories and 48 winners from different fields will be selected as compared to last year it only had 28 categories and chose 24 winners.
ii.It will be done in 2 stages-Stage 1 is screening stage and stage 2 is demo stage, special jury will be involved over here.
iii.Prize categorization- 1st prize Rs 25 lakh, 2nd prize Rs 15 lakh, 3rd prize 10 lakh will be awarded.
About Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY)-
Union minister- Ashwini Vaishnaw (Constituency – Odisha)
Minister of State- Rajeev Chandrasekhar( Constituency- Karnataka)
MoCA, Adani Enterprises Ltd Signs MoU to Provide Reserved Services in 3 Airports of IndiaThe Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA) has signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Adani Enterprises Limited for providing Reserved Services which includes Customs, Immigration, Plant & Animal quarantine services, Health services, Meteorological & Security services in the Airports of Jaipur, Guwahati & Thiruvananthapuram.
- The agreement was signed between Rubina Ali, Joint Secretary, MoCA & Parikshit Paul, Senior Vice President, Adani Enterprises.
- Government of India (GoI) had privatised 6 major Airports in the country – Lucknow, Ahmedabad, Mangaluru, Jaipur, Guwahati & Thiruvananthapuram in 2019.
- Through a Competitive bidding process, the Adani Group won the rights to run the 6 Airports for 50 years.
i.Communication Navigation Surveillance-Air Traffic Management (CNS-ATM) agreement was signed between Airports Authority of India (AAI) & Adani Enterprises to provide Communication & Air traffic management services at the Airports of Jaipur, Guwahati & Thiruvananthapuram.
About Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA)
Union Minister – Jyotiraditya M Scindia (Rajya Sabha, Madhya Pradesh)
Minister of State (MoS) – General (Retd.) Vijay Kumar Singh (Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh)
About Adani Enterprises
Founded in July 1988.
Managing Director (MD) – Rajesh Adani
Headquarters – Ahmedabad, Gujarat
>>Read Full News
India-ISA Energy Transition Dialogue, 2021India-International Solar Alliance (ISA) Energy Transition Dialogue, 2021 held on August 24th, 2021 virtually.
- The event was organised by ISA & the Union Ministry of New & Renewable Energy (MNRE)
R K Singh’s keynote address:
i.R K Singh, Union Minister of Power, New & Renewable Energy has highlighted that India’s Emissions have reduced about 28% from 2005 levels, against the target of 35% by 2030 in India’s Intended Nationally Determined Contributions (INDC) at the Paris Agreement, 2015.
ii.Currently, 38.5% of India’s Installed power generation capacity is from clean Renewable energy sources when 46 GW of hydropower is included.
iii.It is expected by 2050, 80-85% of India’s overall power capacity will come from Renewables.
- Target by 2030: India plans to have 450GW of Renewable energy capacity by 2030
India’s INDC at the Paris Agreement
i.To reduce 33-35% emissions intensity of its Gross Domestic Product (GDP) by 2030 from 2005 levels.
ii.To increase the share of Non fossil fuels like Solar, wind, hydro, Biomass & Nuclear by 40% in terms of power generation.
iii.To increase forest & tree cover to create an additional carbon sink of 2.5-3 billion tonnes of Carbon Dioxide (C02)
About International Solar Alliance (ISA)
Founded in November 2015
Director General –Ajay Mathur
Headquarters – Gurugram, Haryana
25th Edition of ‘Exercise Malabar’ held between the Navies of India, USA, Japan & Australia In Western Pacific OceanThe 25th Edition of Naval Exercise Malabar is conducted between the India Navy, the United States (US) Navy, Japanese Maritime Self Defence Force (JMSDF) & the Royal Australian Navy (RAF) in the Western Pacific Ocean. The exercise is hosted by the US Navy from 26th-29th August, 2021.
- It aims to support free, open & inclusive Indo-Pacific and remain committed to a rules based international order
- The Sea phase of the exercise includes complex drills including anti-surface, anti-air and anti-submarine warfare drills, and other manoeuvres and tactical exercises.
- The Indian Navy’s participation includes Indian Naval Ship (INS) Shivalik and INS Kadmatt and P8I patrol aircraft.
i.The Malabar Started is an annual bilateral exercise started in 1992 between the Indian Navy & the US Navy.
ii.Then it became a trilateral exercise, After Japan joined as the permanent member of the exercise in 2015.
iii.In the 2020 edition, Australia participated in the exercise malabar.
About Indian Navy
Chief of Naval Staff (CNS) – Admiral Karambir Singh
Integrated Headquarters of Ministry of Defence (Navy) – New Delhi
>>Read Full News
India Proposed Naval Industry Cooperation at 1st IBSA NSAs meeting to Counter Balance China On August 25, 2021 India’s National Security Advisor (NSA) Ajit Doval hosted the 1st meeting of IBSA(India, Brazil, South Africa) NSAs. The three countries made agreements to enhance cooperation in cyber security and balance China’s expansionist policies in the maritime region .
Note – India is the current IBSA Chair.India is set to host the 6th IBSA summit virtually on 5th September 2021, under the theme “Democracy for Demography and Development”.
Objective of the Meeting-
To enhance participation to combat piracy and drug and human trafficking, sustainalbe exploitation of maritime resources and ensure security.
- Main focus was given on maritime security as it was identified as a strategic area for future cooperation.
- Strenghthtening measures to tackle China’s maritime ambitions, combating human trafficking, piracy, securing bordering etc are some of the key areas of discussion .
- India invited Brazil to take part in MILAN Naval Exercise of 2022
- India has proposed to build an Expert Group Meeting on Cyber Security.
i.The IBSA is a trilateral, developmental initiative between India, Brazil and South Africa to promote South-South cooperation and exchange.
ii.The grouping was formalized and named the IBSA Dialogue Forum when the Foreign Ministers of the three countries met in Brasilia (Brazil) on 6th June 2003 and issued the Brasilia Declaration.
BANKING & FINANCE
Karnataka Bank Launched “KBL FASTag”, for seamless toll deductionThe Karnataka Bank launched its KBL FASTag in association with the National Payment Corporation of India(NPCI) and M/s Worldline, the FASTag processor. KBL FASTag is a prepaid payment instrument that offers seamless movement of vehicles at toll plazas across India through automatic dedication of the toll amount.
i.KBL FASTag will offer an easy and convenient transit through the toll plaza for the users by saving time, fuel and money.
ii.The users can avail KBL FASTag on the website of Karnataka Bank or at any branch of the Bank.
iii.The FASTag can be pre-loaded digitally for a required amount and it can be recharged through credit card, Debit Card, Net Banking, (Immediate Payment Service) IMPS, among others.
iv.The KBL FASTag can be used across all the toll plazas across India which are registered in the National Electronic Toll Collection(NETC) programme.
About Karnataka Bank:
MD & CEO– Mahabaleshwara MS
Tagline– Your Family Bank Across India
Headquarters– Mangaluru, Dakshina Kannada, Karnataka
Incorporated on 18th February 1924
Google Tie up with Setu to Open FDs on GPay; Google Launched Kids Safety Programme ‘Be Internet Awesome’ Google partnered with Setu, a fintech company, to enable its users to open fixed deposits (FDs) through Google Pay.
- At first, Google plans to offer FDs of Equitas Small Finance Bank (SFB) for 1 year. Ujjivan SFB and AU SFB will also be included in future.
- The fintech Setu which is specialising in providing Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) has already created the beta version of the API for offering FDs.
- The beta version of the API offers FDs of various tenors such as 7-29 days, 30-45 days, 46-90 days, 91-180 days, 181-364 days, and 365 days, with interest rates ranging from 3.5 percent (for the shortest FD) to 6.35 percent (for the one-year FD).
Kids Safety Programme: Google partnered with comic book publisher Amar Chitra Katha and launched a kids safety programme named ‘Be Internet Awesome’ to promote safe internet practices among children.
Google Pay is a digital wallet platform and online payment system developed by Google.
Headquarters – California, United States
CEO – Sundar Pichai
>>Read Full News
Decimal Technologies & Ujjivan SFB Partners to Digitise Loan Origination with Saarathi Ujjivan Small Finance Bank (Ujjivan SFB) Limited has entered into partnership with Decimal Technologies, India’s leading fintech firm, under which the Ujjivan SFB and its channel partners will use Saarathi, digital lending platform of Decimal technologies.
This is the 1st ever banking tie up of Decimal technology in this model.
- This partnership will enable the Ujjivan SFB to digitize its loan sourcing through its sales force and Direct Selling Agents(DSAs).
- This is a part of the efforts of USFB to strengthen its digital infrastructure.
Features of the partnership:
i.Under this partnership, Saarathi will enable a 100% digitisation of the loan offering by Ujjivan SFB, and provide a simple user interface and assist to perform business operations amid COVID-19 lockdown.
ii.Saarathi is integrated with Credit Bureau, NSDL,Document verifications systems, Google Maps for geo-tagging, bank statement analyser and others, to improve the efficiency of credit underwriting of Ujjivan SFB.
iii.Through this partnership, a robust digital infrastructure will be deployed for the transition loan processes from manual to digital and help the bank to create digital financial solutions through Saarathi and to upgrade the loan delivery process.
i.Saarathi is an Artificial Intelligence based ready to use digital lending platform specialised in digitisation of loan origination. It was launched in 2020.
ii.Saarathi can be used by the sales channels of the banks to source loan files digitally.
iii.Saarathi does not need upfront capital investment and reduces the time to market by around 95% i.e, from 6-9 months to one week.
About Ujjivan Small Finance Bank Limited (Ujjivan SFB):
MD & CEO– Nitin Chugh (will step down from his post on 30th September 2021)
Officer on Special Duty (OSD)– Carol Furtado
Headquarters– Bengaluru, Karnataka
Tagline– Build a Better Life
LoanTap Collabarates with SBM Bank & Rupay to Launch 1st LIMITLESS Prepaid CardLoanTap, a digital lender, launched its 1st LIMITLESS Credit line backed Prepaid Card in partnership with SBM Bank (State Bank of Mauritius) as a Banking Partner and RuPay as the Payment Network.
Features of LIMITLESS Card:
|Credit limit range||Rs 25,000 – Rs 3,00,000|
|Tenures||12 months – 60 months|
|Interest rate||18 – 24 percent per annum|
|Accidental Insurance||up to Rs 10 Lakhs.|
|Minimum income requirement for an individual||Rs 30,000|
|Age||21 years and above|
|Citizenship Requirement||Indian Citizens/Residents|
Headquarters – Pune, Maharashtra
CEO and Co-Founder – Satyam Kumar
>>Read Full News
MeitY Startup Hub Sign MoU with Paytm to Support Deep-Tech Start-UpsMeitY Startup Hub (MSH), under the aegis of Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology(MeitY) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Paytm, a digital payment and financial technology, to support deep tech startups.
The collaboration also focuses on fostering partnership with incubators, accelerators and investors.
To create a deep tech startup ecosystem for Software as a service (SaaS), and app based startups built on deep-tech platform technology like Artificial Intelligence(AI), Machine Learning, Cloud computing by providing support for solution oriented innovators.
About Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology(MeitY):
Union Minister– Ashwini Vaishnaw (Rajya Sabha- Odisha)
Minister of State– Rajeev Chandrasekhar (Rajya Sabha- Karnataka)
Paytm is owned by One97 Communications Limited.
Founder & CEO– Vijay Shekhar Sharma
Headquarters– Noida, Uttar Pradesh
>>Read Full News
India Extends USD 1 million aid to Zimbabwe to help tackle Climate ShocksThe government of India provides USD 1 million aid to Zimbabwe under United Nations World Food Programme(WFP). This aid will help to tackle affected populations due to climate shocks.It will help in climate resilient agriculture in Zimbabwe.
Main focus of Project-
Increasing small grain production and market access and combating climate shocks.
Note -United Nations declares 2023 International Year of Millets.
- The help aid is being provided through India- United Nations Development Partnership Fund.This fund will be used to provide support to more than 5200 farmers in Chiredzi and Mangwe districts.
- The WFP Zimbabwe is providing expertise through its Smallholder Agricultural Market Support(SAMS).
- The aid will support the people to build climate resilient infrastructure and ensuring food support reducing recurring the negative effects of droughts.
- They would be able to cultivate drought-tolerant small grains and legumes.
Contribution of WFP:
i.WFP is collaborating with the expertise of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), the Ministry of Lands, Agriculture,Fisheries, Water and Rural Resettlement and Department of Agriculture Technical and Extension Services(Agritex). These partners will procure small grain seeds from one country and deliver it to small shareholders in marked districts of other countries.
ii.Between 2020-2021, WFP and partners have supported 60,000 smallholder farmers – 70 percent being female-headed households, across 30 rural districts through small grain production activities in Zimbabwe.
Currency – Zimbabwean Dollar
IIMA Launched CDT in Partnership with Bank of America Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad (IIMA) has partnered with Bank of America to launch a Centre for Digital Transformation (CDT).
Objective: To become a knowledge hub for academia, policymaking, and the private sector by facilitating digital transformation and innovation research.
i.The CDT will strengthen the responsible digital framework in India. CDT is the 9th research centre to be set up at IIMA.
ii.The CDT also set up an ‘Advisory Council on Responsible Digital Transformation’, which will be managed by IIMA.
iii.The council will bring together leaders from academia, government and private sector to address the current requirements in digitization.
iv.Members of Council: It includes Debjani Ghosh, President of NASSCOM; Rajesh Gopinathan, CEO of Tata Consultancy Services, Nandan Nilekani, Non-executive Chairman of Infosys, Aditya Puri, Senior Advisor, The Carlyle Group, etc.Dr. Ritu Agarwal, Senior Associate Dean of the Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland;Dr. Vallabh Sambamurthy, Albert O. Nicholas Dean of the Wisconsin School of Business of the University of WisconsinMadison.
v.Bank of America will act as a supporter of these initiatives.
vi.The advisory committee of the Centre is jointly chaired by Cathy Bessant (Chief Operations & Technology Officer, Bank of America), and Founding Chair Dr. Pankaj Setia (Professor of Information Systems, IIMA). The other members of the advisory committee include Professor Errol D’Souza (Director, IIMA); Sumeet Chabria (Global Technology & Operations COO and Global Business Services Executive, Bank of America); Dr. Debjit Roy (Professor, IIMA); and Dr. Ramayya Krishnan (Dean of Heinz College, Carnegie Mellon University).
About Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad (IIMA):
Establishment – 1961
Chairman – Kumar Mangalam Birla
Location – Ahmedabad, Gujarat
RBI Imposed Rs 15 lakh Penalty on Baghat Urban Co-operative Bank
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed a penalty of Rs 15 lakh on Baghat Urban Co-operative Bank Ltd, Solan, Himachal Pradesh for violation of certain norms related to non-identification of Non-Performing Assets.
- RBI also imposed a penalty of Rs 1 lakh on Delhi Nagrik Sehkari Bank Ltd, New Delhi, for non-compliance with certain directions issued by it.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
Indian Idol 2021 Winner Pawandeep Rajan Appointed as Uttarakhand’s Brand Ambassador for Art, Tourism, Culture
Pushkar Singh Dhami, Chief Minister(CM) of Uttarakhand, has announced that Pawandeep Rajan, winner of the Indian Idol Season 12(2021), a music reality show, has been appointed as the brand ambassador of Uttarakhand’s art, tourism and culture.
- 23 years old Pawandeep Rajan hails from Champawat, Uttarakhand.
ACC Approved to Extend the Tenure of 3 MD & CEOs and 10 EDs of PSBThe Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the proposal of the Department of Financial Services(DFS) to extend the tenure of 3 Managing Directors(MD) and Chief Executive officers(CEO), and 10 Executive Directors(EDs) of Public Sector Banks(PSB) including the Punjab National Bank(PNB).
MD & CEO:
- The term of SS Mallikarjuna Rao, the MD and CEO of PNB have been extended until 31st January 2022, the date of his superannuation.
- The term of Atul Kumar Goel, MD and CEO of UCO Bank has been extended for a period of 2 years.
- The term of A S Rajeev, MD and CEO of Bank of Maharashtra has been extended for a period of 2 years.
About Punjab National Bank(PNB):
MD & CEO– S.S. Mallikarjuna Rao
Headquarters– New Delhi, India
Tagline-The name you can bank upon
Founded– 19th May 1894
Commenced Operations– 12th April 1895
About UCO Bank:
UCO Bank formerly known as the United Commercial Bank Limited.
MD & CEO– Atul Kumar Goel
Incorporated in 1943
Nationalized in 1969
Headquarters– Kolkata, West Bengal
About Bank of Maharashtra:
MD & CEO– A S Rajeev
Headquarters– Pune, Maharashtra
Incorporated on 16th September 1935
>>Read Full News
RBI Promoted 3 Grade F officers as Executive Directors for 2021-22The Reserve Bank of India(RBI) has promoted 3 Grade F officers – Ajay Kumar, A.K. Choudhary and Deepak Kumar – as the Executive directors for the year 2021-2022.
- Ajay Kumar has been serving as the regional director of RBI regional Office, New Delhi
- A.K. Choudhary has been serving as the Chief General Manager in charge of the Department of Supervision, RBI Mumbai.
- Deepak Kumar has been serving as the chief General Manager in charge of the Department of information Technology(IT), RBI Mumbai.
At present RBI has 12 executive directors and 30 chief General Managers, under the 4 deputy governors.
About Reserve Bank of India(RBI):
Governor– Shaktikanta Das
Deputy Governor– Mahesh Kumar Jain; Michael Debabrata Patra; M. Rajeshwar Rao; and T. Rabi Sankar
Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra
Established– 1st April 1935
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
GoI & BRICS partnered to setup SARS-CoV-2 NGS-BRICS consortium to study COVID-19 on TB patientsDepartment of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India (GoI) and BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa) have collaborated to implement SARS-CoV-2 NGS-BRICS consortium and multi centric programme to study the impact of severe COVID-19 conditions on Tuberculosis (TB) patients.It will also Setup Network of Genomic Surveillance.
- SARS-CoV-2 NGS stands for Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome-Coronavirus 2-Next-generation sequencing (NGS).
About SARS-CoV-2 NGS-BRICS consortium:
It is an interdisciplinary collaboration to advance COVID-19 health-relevant knowledge in order to improve health outcomes. It will accelerate the translation of genomic data which will help in clinical and public health research and interventions from clinical and surveillance samples.
- This research will be done with high-end genomic technologies, epidemiologic and bioinformatics tools.
Indian team consists members from National Institute of Biomedical Genomics-NIBMG (Professor Arindam Maitra, Professor Saumitra Das, Dr Nidhan K Biswas), Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics-CDFD (Dr Ashwin Dalal) and Indian Institute of Science-IISc (Dr Mohit K Jolly).
Members from Other Countries:
- National Laboratory for Scientific Computation – LNCC/MCTI (Dr Ana Tereza Ribeiro de Vasconcelos) from Brazil
- Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology (Professor Georgii Bazykin) from Russia,
- Beijing Institute of Genomics, Chinese Academy of Sciences (Professor Mingkun Li) from China
- University of KwaZulu-Natal (Professor Tulio de Oliveira) from South Africa will participate in this consortium
About Multi Centric Programme:
It is an interdisciplinary team of researchers from India, Brazil and South Africa who will investigate the impact of severe COVID-19 on transient peripheral immunosuppression and lung hyperinflammation conditions in TB patients for epidemiology and comorbidity.
Indian team consists from National Institute of Research in Tuberculosis-NIRT (Dr. Subash Babu, Dr. Anuradha Rajamanickam, Dr. Banurekha Velayutham and Dr. Dina Nair) from India,
- Lapclin-Tb/ Inifiocruz (Dr. Valeria Cavalcanti Rolla), IMU, LIB, MONSTER/ IGMFIOCRUZ (Dr. Bruno de Bezerril Andrade), LAPCLIN-TB/ INIFIOCRUZ (Dr. Adriano Gomes da Silva) and LBB/ INI-FIOCRUZ (Dr. Maria Cristina Lourenço) from Brazil
- University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa (Dr. Bavesh Kana, Dr. Bhavna Gordhan, Dr. Neil Martinson and Dr. Ziyaad Waja) from South Africa.
Indian Table Tennis Player G.Sathiyan wins 2021 ITTF Czech International OpenIndian Table Tennis Player Sathiyan Gnanasekaran won the 2021 International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) Czech International Open. The tournament was held from 21-25th August, 2021 in Olomouc, Czech Republic.
- Sathiyan beat Yevhen Ryshchepa of Ukraine in the finals in straight sets 11-9, 11-6, 11-6, 14-12. He did not lose a single set throughout the tournament.
- The victory marks Sathiyan’s the 3rd ITTF challenger title after 4 years in 2017 Spanish Open and 2016 Belgium Open.
- Sathiyan was born in January 1993 in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
Senior Mixed Doubles Pair-Rankings
|20||Sathiyan Gnanasekaran & Manika Batra||India|
|1||Jun Mizutani & Mina Ito||Japan|
|2.||Liu Shiwen & Xu Xin||Taipei|
- In August 2021, The Indian duo of Table Tennis players Manika Batra & G. Sathiyan wins the Mixed Doubles Final in World Table Tennis (WTT) contender 2021, held in Budapest, Hungary.
Agriculture Scientist and Padma Shri Awardee B V Nimbkar Passed Away in MaharashtraThe renowned Agricultural Scientist and Padma Shri award recipient, Bonbehari Vishnu Nimbkar (B V Nimbkar) passed away at the age of 90 years in Satara district of Maharashtra due to age related diseases. He was born in 17 July 1931 in Goa.
Gist about B V Nimbkar
- Nimbkar was the founder of Nimbkar Agricultural Research Institute (NARI) is an NGO and a non-profit research and development institute in Maharashtra
- He was awarded with Padma Shri Award in 2006 for his immense contribution in the field of agriculture and animal husbandry.
- He was the recipient of the prestigious Jamnalal Bajaj Award. It is given for promoting Gandhian values, community service and social development.
Former England Cricketer & Journalist Ted Dexter Passes AwayFormer England Cricket team Captain & Journalist Ted Dexter passed away at 86 due to illness in Wolverhampton, England.
- A right handed All Rounder, who has played 62 Test matches scoring 4502 runs with an average of 47.89 & taking 66 wickets.
- Dexter popularly known as Lord Ted was inducted into the International Cricket Council (ICC) Cricket Hall of fame as one of the special inductees in June 2021.
- Dexter worked as a Journalist & Broadcaster after his retirement . He also served as Chairman of England Cricket Selectors.
- He was instrumental in devising the players ranking system that was later adopted by the ICC and is currently known as the ICC Player Rankings.
Current Affairs Today (AffairsCloud Today)
|S.no||Current Affairs 27 August 2021|
|1||‘SUJALAM’ , A 100 Days ODF Plus Campaign launched by Ministry of Jal Shakti|
|2||MIB officially recognizes NBF’s PNBSA as India’s 1st self-regulatory body for News Media|
|3||Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman Unveiled EASE 4.0; Reviewed PSBs; Increased Family Pension to 30%|
|4||Cabinet approvals on August 25, 2021|
|5||USTDA & USISPF Launched the US-India Climate Technologies Action Group|
|6||MeitY Launched Amrit Mahotsav App Innovation Challenge 2021 for Indian Entrepreneur and Start-ups|
|7||MoCA, Adani Enterprises Ltd Signs MoU to Provide Reserved Services in 3 Airports of India|
|8||India-ISA Energy Transition Dialogue, 2021|
|9||Indian Navy participates in Naval Exercise Malabar|
|10||India Proposed Naval Industry Cooperation at 1st IBSA NSAs meeting to Counter Balance China|
|11||Karnataka Bank Launched “KBL FASTag”, for seamless toll deduction|
|12||Google Tie up with Setu to Open FDs on GPay; Google Launched Kids Safety Programme ‘Be Internet Awesome’|
|13||Decimal Technologies partners with Ujjivan Small Finance Bank to digitise loan origination with Saarathi|
|14||LoanTap, launches first LIMITLESS Prepaid Cards in association with SBM bank & Rupay|
|15||MeitY Startup Hub collaborates with Paytm to support deep-tech startups|
|16||India Extends USD 1 million aid to Zimbabwe to help tackle Climate Shocks|
|17||IIM Ahmedabad and Bank of America partner to set up a Centre for Digital Transformation|
|18||RBI imposes Rs 15 lakh penalty on Baghat Urban Co-operative Bank, Solan|
|19||U’khand govt makes Indian Idol winner Pawandeep Rajan brand ambassador|
|20||Three MDs and ten EDs of various PSU banks get term extensions|
|21||RBI makes 3 officials executive directors|
|22||GoI & BRICS partnered to setup SARS-CoV-2 NGS-BRICS consortium to study COVID-19 on TB patients|
|23||Indian Table Tennis Player G.Sathiyan wins 2021 ITTF Czech International Open|
|24||Agriculture Scientist and Padma Shri Awardee B V Nimbkar Passed Away in Maharashtra|
|25||Former England Test captain Ted Dexter dies aged 86|