We are here for you to provide the important Recent and Latest Current Affairs 16 & 17 October 2022, which have unique updates of Latest Current Affairs 2022 events from all newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economic Times, PIB, Times of India, PTI, Indian Express, Business Standard and all Government official websites.
Our Current Affairs October 2022 events will help you to get more marks in Banking, Insurance, SSC, Railways, UPSC, CLAT and all State Government Exams. Also, try our Latest Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2022 PDF which will be a pedestrian to crack your exams.
Read Current Affairs in CareersCloud APP, Course Name – Learn Current Affairs – Free Course – Click Here to Download the APP
We are Hiring – Subject Matter Expert | CA Video Creator | Content Developers(Pondicherry)
GAME signs MoU with NRLM to Enable Financial Access for Women Entrepreneurs
On 14th October 2022, the Global Alliance for Mass Entrepreneurship (GAME) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with DAY-NRLM (Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana -National Rural Livelihood Mission) to enable financial access for the growth of 10 lakh women entrepreneurs over 3 years.
What is in the MoU?
i.Under the MoU, GAME and NRLM will strengthen non-farm livelihoods by building the capacity of women entrepreneurs (WEs) to access finance and grow their enterprises.
ii.The program will focus on capacity building of stakeholders and bankers of public sector banks, digitally-led Non-Banking Financial Companies (NBFCs) and small finance banks.
iii.The objective of this partnership is to identify and train ‘VittaSakhis’ from Self Help Groups (SHGs) who can help WEs.
- VittaSakhis will educate WEs about getting benefits from government schemes and onboard them onto digital tools for building their enterprise.
i.NRLM was launched by the Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD), Government of India in June 2011.
ii.It aims to alleviate rural poverty and create sustainable livelihood opportunities for the rural poor.
About Global Alliance for Mass Entrepreneurship (GAME):
Founder– Ravi Venkatesan
CEO- Suresh Gudappa
MoF Removes Criteria for CPSEs to Improve Share Price Over Sectoral Index
In the revised Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) guidelines for 2022–2023 (FY23), the Department of Public Enterprises, Ministry of Finance (MoF), withdrew the criteria that required listed Central Public Sector Undertakings (CPSEs) to boost their share price over the BSE Sectoral Index.
- Instead, it has attempted to benchmark CPSEs based on the performance of the top/bottom 25 companies in the S&P BSE 500 Index in terms of market capitalization (m-cap).
The S&P BSE family of indices evaluates the performance of BSE Ltd. (formerly Bombay Stock Exchange (“BSE”) listed companies in a number of sizes, industries, themes, and strategies.
i.The MoU has now assigned 2 out of 100 for using the Government e-Marketplace (GeM) platform as a percentage of all purchases, among other vital factors.
- Previously, there was a negative marking (minus 2) for not purchasing from the GeM portal.
- This has gained significance, as the government intends to do 100% of its procurement through the GeM portal by the end of FY23.
ii.The revised MoU reduced the marks assigned to achieving export and import targets from 5 to 4 marks each.
- The earlier provision of awarding 3 marks to CPSEs for completing 90% of their Capital Expenditure (CapEx) by the end of the third quarter (Q3) of the fiscal year has been withdrawn.
iii.According to the revised MoU, CPSEs must accept or reject goods and services through the Trade Receivables Discounting System (TReDS) portal within a specified period of time to receive 5 marks.
- TReDS is an institutional mechanism established to facilitate the discounting of invoices for MSMEs by corporate buyers via multiple financiers.
iv.This is to ensure that the TReDS portal is used effectively in making timely payments to Micro and Small Enterprise (MSE) vendors of CPSEs in accordance with the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Development Act of 2006.
- It requires CPSEs to ensure that, within 15 days of delivery of goods or rendering of services, a decision on acceptance/rejection of goods and respective bills/invoices is made.
|Exports as % of revenue from operations||5||4|
|Imports as % of revenue from operations||5||4|
|90% CapEx till the end of Q3||3||0|
|Procurement from GeM Portal||-2||2|
|Acceptance/Rejection of Goods vis TReDS Portal||0||5|
Click here for official guidelines
NHIDCL signs MoU with IIT Patna for Innovation in Highway Construction
National Highways & Infrastructure Development Corporation Ltd (NHIDCL) a CPSE (Central Public Sector Enterprises) under the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways(MoRTH), signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Patna (Bihar) for cooperation in innovative solutions for highways construction.
- The agreement was signed by Dr. (Prof) TN Singh, Director of IIT Patna and Chanchal Kumar, Managing Director of NHIDCL.
BANKING & FINANCE
Indian Army Signs MoU with 11 Banks for Agniveer Salary AccountsOn 14th October 2022 the Indian Army signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with 11 banks for providing banking facilities to Agniveers on enrollment under the Agnipath scheme.
- The MoUs were signed by DG (MP & PS), Lieutenant (Lt) General (Gen) V Sreehari and senior officials of Banks in the presence of Lt Gen C Bansi Ponappa, the Adjutant General of Indian Army.
i.The 11 banks include State Bank of India (SBI), Punjab National Bank (PNB), Bank of Baroda (BoB), IDBI Bank, ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, Axis Bank, Yes Bank, Kotak Mahindra Bank, IDFC First Bank and Bandhan Bank.
- In addition to the banking facilities, these banks will also offer soft loans to existing Agniveers to promote and enhance their entrepreneurial skills.
ii.The features and benefits offered under Agniveer Salary Package are similar to the Defence Salary Package.
i.In June 2022 the Union Cabinet launched the Agnipath Scheme, under which the youths between ages 17.5 and 21 years with 10th,12th and ITI as their qualification, will be enrolled into armed forces for a period of 4 years.
- The selected candidates under this scheme are known as agniveer and the scheme consists of more than 46000 posts.
- The 1st batch of Agniveers under Agnipath Scheme will be joining armed forces training centres by January 2023.
ii.The government has launched this scheme with the provision to retain 25 percent of Agniveers for a further 15 years period and the government has now extended the upper age limit to 23 years for 2022 recruitment…Click here for more about Agnipath scheme…
DCB Bank Relaunches Suraksha FD Scheme for its Customers
DCB Bank has relaunched its ‘Suraksha Fixed Deposit (FD)’ scheme, a 3-year FD scheme that offers higher interest rates and free life insurance along with other benefits for the depositors and their dependents.
i.The offer is also available for Non-Resident External (NRE) and Non-Resident Ordinary (NRO) in Indian Rupees (INR) based on their FD amount.
ii.They are allowed to use foreign currencies to make their DCB NRI Suraksha Foreign Currency Non-Resident Account (FCNR) Deposit including Dollars (USD), Australian dollar (AUD), Canadian Dollar (CAD), EURO or British Pound Sterling (GBP).
About Suraksha Fixed Deposit (FD):
i.Suraksha Fixed Deposit (FD) offers a high interest rate of 7.10 percent per annum (p.a.) on a 3 year FD and the insurance premium is not payable by the DCB Suraksha FD customer.
ii.It also offers free life insurance coverage up to Rs. 10 lakh if the value of the Suraksha FD is more than Rs. 10 lakh and does not require any medical evaluation.
- This insurance cover is available for persons between the age of 18 years and 55 years of age.
Other regular FD Offers:
i.The bank provides an interest rate of 7.10 percent per annum (p.a.), which could yield 7.49% pa for the FD of 700 days or 7.84 percent p.a. for FD of 3 years.
- For elderly persons, the bank provides 7.60 percent p.a., that could yield 8.05 percent p.a. for 700 days and 8.45 percent p.a. for 3 years.
ii.For a FD of 5 years, the bank provides 7 percent interest rate p.a., for which the annual yield will be 8.43 percent p.a. and senior citizens will yield 9.14 percent of the deposit annually with an interest rate of 7.50 p.a.
About DCB Bank:
Its promoter and promoter group the Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development (AKFED) & Platinum Jubilee Investments Ltd. holds below 15% stake. AKFED is an international development enterprise.
Managing Director (MD) & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) – Murali M.Natrajan
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Hyderabad honoured as Grand Winner of AIPH World Green City Awards 2022The city of Hyderabad, Telangana, has been honoured as the Grand winner of the AIPH (International Association of Horticultural Producers) World Green City Awards 2022, the most prestigious award of the Inaugural AIPH World Green City awards (2022 edition), for its initiative titled “Green Garland to the State of Telangana”.
- Hyderabad also won the award under the ‘Living Green for Economic Recovery and Inclusive Growth’ category.
- AIPH World Green City awards (2022 edition) are the world’s first Green City awards.
- AIPH announced the 6 Category Winners and the Grand Winner during the award ceremony that took place at the gala dinner at the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Leaders Forum in Jeju Province of the Republic of Korea(South Korea) on 14th October 2022.
6 Category wise winners:
|Living Green for Economic Recovery and Inclusive Growth||Green Garland to the State of Telangana,|
City of Hyderabad, India
|Living Green for Biodiversity||Reverdecer Bogotá,|
Bogota D.C, Colombia
|Living Green for Climate Change||Mexico City’s Environmental and Climate Change Program,|
Mexico City, Mexico
|Living Green for Health and Wellbeing||Transforming degraded land into Urban Micro Parks,|
City of Fortaleza, Brazil
|Living Green for Water||The Phytotechnology Stations at the Montréal Botanical Garden / Space for Life,|
City of Montreal, Canada
|Living Green for Social Cohesion||OASIS Schoolyard Project,|
City of Paris, France
- All 18 finalist cities were presented with Highly Commended certificates and 6 more cities were presented with Certificates of Merit at the Awards ceremony.
i.Hyderabad has been awarded for its initiatives relying on a greater use of plants and nature to create better city environments and helps the fulfil local aspirations for improved economic, social and environmental resilience
ii.The award acknowledged the Telangana’s programme of ‘Telangana Ku Haritha Haram’a large-scale tree-planting program taken up from 2015-2016.
iii.The program aims to increase the tree cover of the state from 24% to 33% of total area of the state.
About International Association of Horticulture Producers (AIPH):
Secretary General – Tim Briercliffe
Headquarters – Oxfordshire, United Kingdom (UK)
Indian Army dedicated a Chair of Excellence at USI in memory of LT Gen PS Bhagat
On the 103rd birth anniversary of late Lt Gen PS Bhagat, ex-Colonel Commandant of the Bombay Sappers and SIKH LI Regiment(14th October 2022), the Indian Army formally instituted a ‘Chair of Excellence’ at the United Service Institution of India (USI), New Delhi, Delhi.
- Lt Gen PS Bhagat was the first Indian officer to win the coveted Victoria Cross during World War II and the first General Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Northern Command.
- The announcement was made by Gen Manoj Pande, Chief of Army Staff, in the presence of Former Army Chief Gen VP Malik (retd) and Gen MM Naravane (Retd).
- The Chair will be open to Veterans of 3 Services and civilians with expertise in emerging defence technologies.
- Maj Gen SG Pitre (Retd) was awarded the inaugural Chair of Excellence to author a book on the “Legacy of Lt Gen Prem Bhagat: A visionary and Strategic Leader”.
- During the ceremony, Rs 5 lakhs honorarium to the nominated Chair of Excellence was handed over to USI Director Major General BK Sharma (retd).
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
Bandhan Bank ropes in Sourav Ganguly as its Brand AmbassadorBandhan Bank appointed former Indian cricketer Sourav Ganguly as its Brand Ambassador. He will help amplify the brand message of the bank and endorse the products and services of the bank.
i.Sourav Chandidas Ganguly is an Indian cricket administrator, commentator and former national cricket team captain. He is affectionately known as Dada.
ii.He is the 35th President of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
Boult Audio signs Saif Ali Khan, cricketer Suryakumar Yadav as Brand Ambassadors
Boult Audio Private Limited appointed actor Saif Ali Khan and cricketer Suryakumar Yadav as its new Brand Ambassadors.
- Suryakumar Yadav is the highest run-getter in T20Is for 2022 and he is currently ranked 2nd in the ICC (International Cricket Council)T20I rankings.
- Saif Ali Khan is an Indian actor and film producer who works in Hindi films.
About Bandhan Bank:
CEO- Chandra Shekhar Ghosh
Headquarters- Kolkata, West Bengal
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
INS Arihant Successfully Launches Submarine-Launched Ballistic MissileOn October 14, 2022, the Indian Naval Ship (INS) Arihant, India’s first indigenous nuclear Ballistic Missile Submarine (SSBN-Submersible Ship Ballistic Missile Nuclear), successfully launched a nuclear capable Submarine Launched Ballistic Missile (SLBM), affirming India’s second strike nuclear capability.
- The missile that was launched is speculated to be the K-15 (also known as Sagarika), a member of the “K” family of SLBMs.
- In SSBN, The SS denotes “submarine” or “submersible”, the B denotes “ballistic missile,” and the N denotes “nuclear powered.”
i.The missile tested to a predetermined range hit the target area in the Bay of Bengal with a very high degree of accuracy and validated all operational and technological aspects of the weapon system.
ii.It is compatible with India’s policy of having “Credible Minimum Deterrence” that supports its “No First Use” policy to have a strong, resilient, and assured retaliatory capacity.
iii.India formally declared its “survivable nuclear triad”—the capability of launching nuclear strikes from land, air, and sea platforms—in November 2019, after INS Arihant completed its first deterrence patrol.
About Indian Navy:
Chief of Naval Staff (CNS) – Admiral R Hari Kumar
Founded– 26 January 1950
>> Read Full News
Maa Bharati Ke Sapoot: MoD Minister Rajnath Singh launches Website for Funding in AFBCWFOn October 14, 2022, the Union Minister Rajnath Singh, Ministry of Defence (MoD) launched the ‘Maa Bharati Ke Sapoot (MBKS)’ website during an event at the National War Memorial Complex in New Delhi, Delhi.
- It will enable citizens to contribute to the Armed Forces Battle Casualties Welfare Fund (AFBCWF), 2022.
- On behalf of MoD, the Indian Army will maintain the book of funds besides online donations.
- Amitabh Bachchan will be the Goodwill Ambassador for this initiative.
AFBCWF is a tri-service fund, utilized for grant of immediate financial assistance of ex-gratia, to the next of kin and dependents of battle casualties.
- In 2016, Army Battle Casualties Welfare Fund was created by for Indian Army after the avalanche incident in Siachen Glacier which located in the eastern Karakoram range in the Himalayas on February 3, 2016.
- On May 6, 2020 the fund was re-christened as Armed Forces Battle Casualties Welfare Fund(AFBCWF) to include battle casualties from Navy and Air Force.
Overview of 36th National Games 2022; Services Tops for the 4th Consecutive TimeAfter a gap of 7 years, the 36th National Games were held from September 29 – October 12, 2022. These were declared open by the Prime Minister (PM) of India Narendra Modi at Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. This was the first time the Games were held in the state.
- The Services team’s under the aegis of Services Sports Control Board (SSCB) clinched 61 Gold, 35 Silver and 32 Bronze medals and became the winner of National Games for the 4th consecutive time.
i.The games were held across 6 cities of Gujarat viz. Ahmedabad, Gandhinagar, Surat, Vadodara, Rajkot and Bhavnagar. Cycling-Track Events will be held in Indira Gandhi Cycling Velodrome, Delhi.
ii.Sports that made their debut at National Games 2022 are Mallakhamba, Yogasana, Skateboarding, Golf and Soft Tennis.
iii.Pooja Patel of Gujarat has become the first athlete to win gold in Yogasana in the traditional category.
iv.Gujarat’s 10-Year-Old Shauryajit Khaire created history by becoming the youngest medalist of the 36th National Games as he clinched the bronze medal in Pole Mallakhamb.
i.The first National Games were held in 1924 in Lahore – now in Pakistan. It was then called the ‘All India Olympic Games’.
ii.The event was rechristened as the ‘National Games’ starting the 1940 edition, which was hosted by Bombay (now Mumbai, Maharashtra).
iii.The 1948 edition in Lucknow was the 1st edition to be held in independent India.
iv.The 26th edition in 1985, was the first true Olympic-style event.
v.The 1999 National Games were the first to be held in north-east India, in Imphal, the capital of Manipur.
>> Read Full News
Actor Robbie Coltrane, Harry Potter’s Hagrid passed away
British actor Anthony Robert McMillan OBE, professionally known as Robbie Coltrane, who played the character of Rubeus Hagrid in the Harry Potter films, passed away at the age of 72 years in Scotland.
- Robbie Coltrane was born on 30 March 1950 in Rutherglen, Scotland. He was a Scottish actor and comedian.
- Famous movies- The Brothers Bloom, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2, Great Expectations, Effie Gray.
- He has won 3 British Academy of Television Awards (BAFTA) for his starring role in the TV show, “Cracker,” which aired from 1993-1995.
- He was also honoured with the Bafta Scotland award for his outstanding contribution to film in 2011.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Bob Dylan’s new book ‘The Philosophy of Modern Song’ will launch in Nov 2022
A new book titled ”The Philosophy of Modern Song ” authored by Bob Dylan, Nobel laureate and published by Simon & Schuster will be launched in November 2022.
- The Philosophy of Modern Song contains the artistic journey and achievements of Bob Dylan.
- The collection of essays is Bob Dylan’s first book of new writing since 2004, when he released ‘Chronicles, Volume One.
- Bob Dylan released thirty-nine studio albums. He won the Nobel prize for literature in 2016. He was also awarded the French Legion of Honor in 2013, a Pulitzer Prize(Special Citation) in 2008 and America’s highest civilian honour, the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2012.
- The most prominent books of Bob Dylan are “The Lyrics 1961-2012”, “Tarantula (1971)”, “Younger Than That Now” etc.
International Day of Rural Women – October 15, 2022i.The United Nations(UN) International Day of Rural Women is observed annually on October 15, and is dedicated to the millions of women who live in remote, rural areas.
ii.This day celebrates and highlights their achievements and contributions towards rural development and agriculture.
iii.The theme for International Day of Rural Women 2022 is ‘Rural women confront the global cost-of-living crisis’.
About United Nations (UN):
Secretary-General– António Guterres
Headquarters– New York, United States
Member States– 193
>> Read Full News
Global Handwashing Day 2022-15th OctoberThe Global Handwashing Day is annually observed across the world on 15th October to raise awareness about the importance of handwashing with soap and water as a way to prevent disease.
- The theme for Global Handwashing Day 2022 is “Unite for Universal Hand Hygiene.”
i.The day provides a platform to accelerate hand hygiene progress at a system level.
ii.It’s estimated that proper handwashing could reduce diarrheal illnesses by up to 45% and respiratory infections by up to 25%.
i.Global Handwashing Partnership (GHP) initiated the observance of the Global Handwashing Day across the globe on 15th October of every year.
ii.The first ever Global Handwashing Day was observed in 2008.
>> Read Full News
World Students’ Day 2022: October 15The World Students’ Day is annually celebrated on 15th October, which marks the birth anniversary of the former President (11th president – 2002 to 2007) and the Missile Man of India Dr. A P J (Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen) Abdul Kalam.
- 15th October 2022 marks the 91st Birth anniversary of Dr APJ Abdul Kalam.
About Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam:
i.Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam was born on 15th October 1931 in Rameswaram, Tamil Nadu. On 27th July 2015, he passed away due to cardiac arrest during his lecture at the Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Shillong, Meghalaya.
ii.Awards – He was honoured with the Padma Bhushan award (1981), Padma Vibhushan (1990), Bharat Ratna (1997), Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration (1997), Veer Savarkar Award (1998).
>> Read Full News
Nagaland CM Neiphiu Rio Launches Universal Health Insurance Scheme: CMHISOn 14th October 2022 Nagaland Chief Minister (CM) Neiphiu Rio launched the first of its kind universal health insurance scheme, named the Chief Minister’s Health Insurance Scheme (CMHIS) at Kohima, Nagaland.
- Dr. R. S. Sharma, CEO, National Health Authority, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare was the guest of honour, and CM Neiphiu Rio was the special guest for the occasion.
- Under the scheme, Nagaland government will spend Rs 69 crore as premium for the 1st year of the scheme and has signed an agreement with the Oriental Insurance Company Limited for taking up as its insurance partner.
i.The main aim of the scheme is to support health expenses faced by the people and also to ensure better health care services.
ii.As per the Nagaland Sustainable Development Goal Vision 2030 launched in August 2021, Nagaland will provide equitable, affordable and quality healthcare services to its people by 2030.
About the scheme:
The CMHIS is a state-specific welfare scheme which is categorised into CMHIS Employees and Pensioners (EP) and CMHIS (General).
i.The CMHIS (EP) category would include state government employees, pensioners, MLAs, ex-MLAs, and staff of state PSUs and other autonomous organisations who are eligible for monthly medical allowance or reimbursement along with their dependent family members.
- The sum insured for this category is Rs 20 lakh per family per annum on a floater basis.
ii.The CMHIS (General) category will include all indigenous and permanent residents of Nagaland who are not beneficiaries of the Ayushman Bharat or any other public-funded insurance scheme.
- The sum insured for this category will be Rs 5 lakh per family per annum on a floater basis.
*****Click Here View – AC Excluded News*****
Current Affairs Today (AffairsCloud Today)
|S.no||Current Affairs 16 & 17 October 2022|
|1||GAME signs MoU with NRLM to Enable Financial Access for Women Entrepreneurs|
|2||MoF Removes Criteria for CPSEs to Improve Share Price Over Sectoral Index|
|3||NHIDCL signs MoU with IIT Patna for Innovation in Highway Construction|
|4||Indian Army Signs MoU with 11 Banks for Agniveer Salary Accounts|
|5||DCB Bank Relaunches Suraksha FD Scheme as a Festive Offer for its Customers|
|6||Hyderabad honoured as Grand Winner of AIPH World Green City Awards 2022|
|7||Indian Army dedicated a Chair of Excellence at USI in memory of LT Gen PS Bhagat|
|8||Bandhan Bank ropes in Sourav Ganguly as its Brand Ambassador|
|9||INS Arihant Successfully Launches Submarine-Launched Ballistic Missile|
|10||Maa Bharati Ke Sapoot: MoD Minister Rajnath Singh launches Website for Funding in AFBCWF|
|11||Overview of 36th National Games 2022; Services Tops for the 4th Consecutive Time|
|12||Actor Robbie Coltrane, Harry Potter’s Hagrid passed away|
|13||Bob Dylan’s new book ‘The Philosophy of Modern Song’ will launch in Nov 2022|
|14||International Day of Rural Women – October 15, 2022|
|15||Global Handwashing Day 2022-15th October|
|16||World Students’ Day 2022: October 15|
|17||Nagaland CM Neiphiu Rio Launches Universal Health Insurance Scheme: CMHIS|