Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Bulletin Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Brief News, More Current Affairs coverage will helpful for upcoming exam.
- Indian-origin businessman elected head of global firm
- NMDC wins Platts Global award 2015
- Nobel Prize winner- John Nash passes away
- 68th Cannes Film Festival – Neeraj Gaywan’s Massan wins prizes
Ireland becomes first country to constitutionally legalise same-sex marriage
- Republic of Ireland on 23 May 2015 became first country in the world to constitutionally legalise same-sex marriage.
- The referendum on this issue to amend country’s written constitution was passed with a resounding 62.1 per cent ‘Yes’. Off the total voter turnout of 60.5 per cent, 1,201,607 people voted in favour of same-sex marriage, while 734,300 voted against it.
World’s oldest living person turns 116
- An American woman, said to be the oldest living person in the world, has celebrated her 116th birthday.
- Jeralean Talley, who was born in Georgia on May 23, 1899, but now lives in Inkster, Michigan turned 116 on Saturday.
- Talley was named the oldest living person in the world after Gertrude Weaver, an American super-centenarian died in April.
Banking & Finance
RBI, Central Bank of Seychelles sign MoU on info exchange
- The Reserve Bank of India has entered into an MoU with the Central Bank of Seychelles (CBS) on exchange of information and mutual assistance in the banking sector supervision. The MoU was inked by C Edmond, First Deputy Governor, CBS and S S Mundra, Deputy Governor of the RBI, the central bank on 21st may 2015.
- The Reserve Bank has been signing the Memorandum of Understanding or Exchange of Letters (EoL) with supervisors of other countries to promote greater co-operation and sharing of supervisory information among the authorities. With this, RBI has signed 25 such MoUs, one Letter for Supervisory Co-operation and one Statement of Co-operation, with overseas regulators.
- This MoU is supposedly said as part of the drive to unearth black money and the global war against the menace of money laundering. The MoU between RBI and Central Bank of Seychelle is significant as Seychelles is known as a popular tax haven.
Cosmos Bank ties up with New India Assurance and LIC
- The Cosmos Co-operative Bank- the oldest and tech-savvy multi-state scheduled bank has tied-up with New India Assurance for Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana and with Life Insurance Corporation of India for the Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Yojana informed Krishnakumar Goyal – Chairman Cosmos Bank.
- Goyal informed that Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana and Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Yojana will be available at all the branches of Cosmos Bank and customers should take advantage of these facilities.
Manoj Mishra appointed as CMD of National Fertilizers
- Government has appointed Manoj Mishra as Chairman and Managing Director of state-run National Fertilizers Ltd (NFL).
- Mishra, currently posted as Director Finance at State Trading Corporation (STC), is likely to assume the charge of CMD of the fertiliser firm this week.
Mumbai Indians defeat Chennai Super Kings to win IPL 2015 for second time
- Mumbai Indians (MI) on 24 May 2015 won the eight edition of Indian Premier League (IPL) 2015 by defeating Chennai Super Kings (CSK). Man of the Match: Rohit Sharma.
Other highlights of IPL 2015
- Player of the Tournament: Andre Russell (KKR).
- Orange Cap awarded to: David Warner (Sunrisers Hyderabad).
- Purple Cap awarded to: Dwayne Bravo (CSK).
- Emerging Player of the Season: Shreyas Iyer (Delhi Daredevils).
- Most Valuable Player: Andre Russell (KKR).
British actor Terry Sue-Patt dies
- British actor Terry Sue-Patt was found dead at his home. He was 50.
- Police officers discovered Sue-Patt’s body after breaking down the door to his home in East London.