Global Metals Award, ”PLATTS”, was won by NMDC [National Mineral Development Corporation] for the year 2015. At a function organised in London on 21st May 2015, NMDC became the first ever Indian firm to get this award for leadership in the Raw Materials and Mining Sectors. The award was given to NMDC Chairman and Managing director Mr Narendra Kothari.
- Information on energy, petrochemicals and metal industries is provided by PLATTS.
- According to a statement given by NMDC, the award was given to the firm based on the judgement for performance and achievement based on financial results,innovation,product quality, vision and safety.
- Other industries like Hindustan Zinc, JSW Steel and International Coal Ventures Ltd or ICVL, also got awards along with NMDC.
- Deal of the Year award went to Hindustan Zinc, for its acquisition of on operating coke coal mine and greenfield coal assets in Mozambique from Rio Tinto, completed in October 2014 for approximately 50 million dollars.
- Industry Leadership Award was won by Hindustan Zinc Ltd or HZL. for Base Metals award. HZL which was a government owned firm is now one of the worlds largest producers of zinc and a leading firm in production of lead and silver.
- Industry Leadership award for Steel was won by JSW Steels, which is India’s one of the largest private sector steel producers apart from being largest exporter of coated products.
- 2015 Metal Company of the Year award went to Alcoa,the American aluminium producer.
- One of the most coveted award CEO of the Year went to Mario Longhi, head of US steel .
- The event was attended by nearly 200 industry executives.
NMDC National Mineral Development Corporation- facts and figures
- NMDC is state controlled mineral producer of government of India.
- Established in the year 1958.
- Headquarters is in Hyderabad,India
- Its CMD is Mr Narendra Kothari.
- NMDC is involved in the exploration of ironore,copper, gypsum,magnesite etc..
- NMDC produces 30 million tonnes of iron ore annually,
PLATTS — what it refers to ??
- Platts is a provider of energy and metals information and is source of benchmark price assessments in the physical energy markets.
- It was founded in the year 1909 by Warren Platt.
- Headquarters is in New York, USA.