Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) chaired by Shri Ram Vilas Paswan, Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution has taken up development of standards for 43 products identified by Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP).
- BIS to complete the work by March 2016.
- Manufacturing quality products in the country under Make in India programme.
- To develop standards for basic consumer services like potable water and waste collection & disposal besides revising National Building Code to promote safe and environment friendly construction in the country.
TASKS TO BE DONE UNDER THIS PROGRAMME
- Labs of the Bureau in each state should be upgraded and facilities for testing of more products should be arranged.
- To develop or revise standards regarding street food and products of day to day.
- Mass awareness campaign should also be launched to make people quality conscious.
- BIS to encourage industry to adopt self-declaration scheme for adopting standards.
- It was also informed that the roadmap for computerisation of BIS has been prepared to make its all functions and processes IT enabled.
- Review the quality standards of dairy products ahead of the festival season.
- To suggest standardisation of ayurvedic products.
- Provide certification for standards of sectors that are a part of the ‘Swachh Bharat’ campaign
A new Bureau of Indian Standards Bill, 2015 to replace the BIS Act, 1986 was approved by the Cabinet in June. The Bill aims to bring more products under mandatory standards to ensure quality products to consumers. There are 92 items under the mandatory standards regime at present.
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification