On September 3, 2020 Union Minister for Tribal Affairs, Arjun Munda virtually inaugurated the two-days National Tribal Research Conclave to be held from September 3-4, 2020. The conclave will be chaired by Union Minister Arjun Munda, it will review progress on the outcome of various projects being implemented under different partnerships, and the best practices will be showcased to all participants.
- The Conclave has been organized by the Centre of Excellence (CoE) for Tribal Affairs, Ministry of Tribal Affairs (MoTA) and Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA).
- Tribal Research helps not only to make a effort on the anthropological aspects of tribal life and culture but also help to achieve the goal “Mera Van Mera Dhan, Mera Udhyam” since forests are not only important for environment but play a major role in tribal livelihoods.
i.This is the second workshop of its kind, the first such workshop was organized in January, 2020.
ii.IIPA is working on Tribal Talent Pool and on Strengthening of Tribal Research Institute (TRI) in partnership with the Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
iii.Ten Research Partners shared their projects in the conclave, and the road map for National Tribal Research Institutes was also shared.
iv.There are around 700 Scheduled Tribe Communities and 75 PVTGs in our country. Ministry of Tribal promotes research on all aspects of their lives and cultures.The conclave was attended by more than 100 participants.
Points to be noted : The themes are Health, Livelihood, education, digitalisation, water conservation, data sciences and development models for aspiration and model villages.
MoU signed between MoTA and IIPA:
i.During the Conclave, an Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between the Ministry of Tribal Affairs and Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA) to set up the National Institute of Tribal Research at IIPA Campus, New Delhi.
ii.The Proposed National Institute will be engaged in quality tribal research in collaboration with reputed Government and no-government Non-Governmental Organizations spread across the country.
iii.The agreement was signed by Shri Deepak Khandekar, Secretary Ministry of Tribal Affairs and S.N. Tripathi, Director General, IIPA.
iv.MoTA is funding 26 Tribal Research Institutions for research on various aspects of tribal life and culture.
Ongoing and forthcoming schemes of Ministry of Tribal Development:
- Shri Amitabh Kant, CEO NITI Aayog and Sh. Ramesh Chand, Member NITI Aayog launched “Performance and Monitoring Dashboard” (dashboard.tribal.gov.in) and it was developed under Centre for Excellence for Data Analytics (CEDA) for evaluating the tribal data.
- Piramal Foundation is working for creation of a consolidated health and nutrition data for tribal population and has launched Swasthya portal (swasthya.tribal.gov.in).
- The Research And Energy Institute (TERI) is engaged with MoTA on developing an economical model for Community Rights under Forest Rights Act.
- SECMOL-LADAKH project would establish Ice stupa in 50 villages and which will solve problem of drinking water and water required for agriculture. SECMOL will also plant trees through community participation.
- United Nations Development Programme(UNDP) is working on 1000 springs project with community participation to revive drying streams (https://thespringsportal.org/).
- Patanjali Research Institute has been given pilot project for research on Tribal Healers and Medicinal Plants in Uttarakhand.
- GOAL (Going Online as Leaders) is also one such initiative of Facebook, which is funded by Facebook and various organizations working with Ministry of Tribal Affairs are the Institutional partners in this project.
- Bharat Rural Livelihood Foundation, an autonomous organisation under RD Ministry is working on monitoring for NGO projects.
- NIT Rourkela, Indian Institute of Forest management, NIRTH, JNU, Jamia Milia Islamia, Bhasa, BAIF, FICCI, ASSOCHAM are working on livelihood and Health projects in MP, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Jharkhand and other States.
About Ministry of Tribal Affairs:
Union Minister – Arjun Munda
Minister of State (MoS) – Renuka Singh Saruta