Subrahmanyam Jaishankar assumed charge as the 30th Foreign Secretary of India, replacing Sujatha Singh. Jaishankar is India’s ambassador to the US. He was a 1977-batch IFS officer and with this new designation, he will serve for another two years.
In his career, Jaishankar had held many important positions such as India’s Ambassador to the People’s Republic of China, India’s High Commissioner to Singapore, represented GOI at the Carnegie Endowment International Nonproliferation Conference, led the Indian team during the negotiations on the 123 Agreement with the United States, Joint Secretary (Americas) at the Ministry of External Affairs in New Delhi, India’s ambassador to the Czech Republic, Secretary at the Indian embassy in Washington D.C.. etc
Knowledge is Wealth
- The first Foreign Secretary of India was KPS Menon of Kerala.
- The Governing body is the Ministry of External Affairs. Current Minister for External Affairs is Sushma Swaraj.
- The MoS for External Affairs is General (Retd) Vijay Kumar Singh.
- Sushma Swaraj is the second woman to be India’s external affairs minister, first being Indira Gandhi.
- Sushma Swaraj was the first Woman Chief Minister of Delhi (12 October 1998 – 3 December 1998).