On the occasion of 89th birth anniversary of former President and Scientist Late Dr. APJ (Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen) Abdul Kalam i.e. on October 15, 2020, Union Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’, Ministry of Education (MOE) virtually launched the ‘KAPILA’ Kalam Program for Intellectual Property (IP) Literacy and Awareness campaign.
- The occasion also saw the release of the Institution Innovation Council (IIC 2.0) annual report, launch of IIC 3.0 website, along with the launch announcement of IIC 3.0.
- It was also decided to celebrate October 15th to October 23rd, 2020 as ‘Intellectual Property (IP) Literacy Week’.
About IP Literacy Week:
During the week a number of activities will be organized including online awareness about the IP system and the importance of the process of applying for a patent.
- Debates, poster contests, quizzes and community meetings will also be held in this week.
- This is being done to promote entrepreneurship and startups in India’s Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) as students are innovating constantly but they are not aware of the system of filing its patent.
About Institution Innovation Council (IIC):
Established in 2018 by the MOE, its aim is to foster the culture of Innovation amongst all HEIs.
- So far, IICs have been established in about 1700 HEIs. Under IIC 3.0, they will be established in 5000 HEIs.
Other Participants: Minister of State (MoS) for Sanjay Shamrao Dhotre, Secretary, Higher Education, Shri Amit Khare; Chairman of All India Council for Technical Education, Professor Anil Sahasrabuddhe, Vice-Chairman Dr. M.P. Poonia, and Member Secretary, Dr. Rajive Kumar.
Recent Related News:
i.On September 26, 2020 India and Denmark signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to enhance cooperation in the area of Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs) through exchange of best practices and collaborating in training programmes.
ii.For the First time, India joined the group of Top 50 Countries in the 13th Edition of Global Innovation Index (GII) 2020, as it took the 48th rank with a score of 35.59 in the Annual report jointly released by World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), Cornell University and INSEAD Business School.
About MoE’s Innovation Cell (MIC):
Chief Innovation Officer (CIO)– Dr. Abhay Jere
Headquarter– New Delhi