On February 9, 2021, Odisha Cabinet headed by its Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik approved the proposal for implementation of the ‘Rejuvenating Watersheds for Agricultural Resilience through Innovative Development (REWARD)’ project. The estimated expenditure for the project is INR 500 Crores, of which the World Bank will provide assistance of INR 350 Crores.
The project is being implemented to ensure efficient water management & enhanced cropping area.
- The implementation period of the project is 6 years beginning from April, 2021.
- Around 1.9 Lakh People including 10, 000 Landless People will be benefited because of the ‘REWARD’ Projects.
- It will be implemented in 7 districts of Odisha – Sambalpur, Dhenkanal, Nayagarh, Deogarh, Koraput, Nabarangpur & Sundargarh.
- Odisha’s Agriculture & Farmers Empowerment Department will implement the project with assistance from Soil Conservation and Watershed Management Directorate.
- To improve land and water conservation and climate resilience in selected watersheds
- Strengthening capacities of national and state institutions to deliver effective science-based watershed development programs.
ii.It is an initiative of Department of Land Resources, Government of India & World Bank
iii.The project will be funded in 70:30 proportion, where 70% will be funded by the World Bank & 30% by the State Government.
iv.It is being implemented in the Indian States of Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh
v.The total allocation for the project is ~ USD 250 Million (~ INR 1,821.25 crore) of which USD 178.5 Million is International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) loan from World Bank & balance is funded by Government of India & State Governments.
- Increase in productivity and net income of farmers
- Prevention of soil run-off
- Regeneration of natural vegetation
- Rain water harvesting
- Recharging of the ground water table
- Enables multi-cropping and introduction of diverse agriculture based activities
Recent Related News:
i.On September 5, 2020, the state cabinet of Karnataka approved INR 600 crore REWARD project with World Bank (WB) assistance.
Tribes – Bonda (also known as the Bondo), Gadabas, Sora (also known as saora)
Mountains & Peaks – Mahendragiri (Mountain), Deomali (Mountain Peak), Malayagiri (Mountain Peak)
About World Bank:
President– David Robert Malpass
Headquarters– Washington, D.C., United States