In order to aware people about the norms to contain the spread of Covid-19 in “Unlock” phase, NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog in partnership with Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF), Centre for Social and Behavioural Change (CSBC) of Ashoka University, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW), and Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD) launched the behaviour change campaign ‘Navigating the New Normal’ and its website.
- The campaign has been formulated under the guidance of Empowered Group 6, chaired by NITI Aayog Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Amitabh Kant. Its objective is to encourage the public and institutions to practice Covid-safe behaviour.
- As many as 92,000 NGOs and civil society organisations(CSOs) working with NITI Aayog too participated in the virtual launch.
About campaign ‘Navigating the New Normal’
The campaign has two parts.
- The first is a web portal “http://www.covidthenewnormal.com/“containing resources informed by behavioural science and the use of nudge and social norms theory, related to Covid-safe behavioural norms during the ongoing Unlock phase.
- Portal focuses on easy implementation of four key behaviours in the unlock phase: Mask-wearing, Social distancing, Hand hygiene, Not spitting in public The website will have sector-specific collaterals and guidelines for health, nutrition, and public transport (in metro cities).
- The second is a media campaign focused on the wearing of masks.
About Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF):
Co-Chair– Bill Gates & Melinda Gates
Headquarter– Washington, United States (US)
About Centre for Social and Behavioural Change (CSBC):
Ashoka University Centre for Social and Behaviour Change (CSBC) is set up by a grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
Director – Pavan Mamidi
Location– New Delhi
About Ministry of Women and Child Development:
Cabinet Minister– Smriti Zubin Irani (Constituency – Amethi, Uttar Pradesh)
About Ministry of Health and Family Welfare:
Cabinet Minister– Dr. Harsh Vardhan (Constituency – Chandni Chowk, New Delhi)