Nepal’s PM Sher Bahadur Deuba made his maiden visit to India as prime minister. Eventhough India and Nepal has some areas of concern in recent days his arrival confirmed Kathmandu’s abiding interest in strong ties with India.
India and Nepal signed eight memorandums of understanding (MoUs)
- Modalities for utilization of India’s housing grant component to support reconstruction of 50,000 houses:
During former PM Sharma oli’s visit US$100Assistance package for Post-earthquake reconstruction assistance was given by GOI to reconstruct houses in Nepal.
- Implementation of the grant component of India’s post-earthquake reconstruction package in the education sector in Nepal.
- Implementation of the grant component of India’s post-earthquake reconstruction package in the cultural heritage sector in Nepal.
- Implementation of the grant component of India’s post-earthquake reconstruction package in the health sector in Nepal.
- Implementation arrangement on cost sharing, schedules and safeguard issues for construction of Mechi Bridge under ADB’s SASEC Road Connectivity Programme (Tranche 2), funded by India:
It improves India’s connectivity with Nepal .The Mechi bridge is part of the Asian Development Bank’s South Asian Sub-Regional Economic Cooperation (SASEC) road connectivity programme, It counteracts China’s ambitious ‘One Belt One Road’ initiative aimed at connecting around 60 countries across Asia, Africa and Europe.
- 6.Drug demand reduction and prevention of illicit trafficking in narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances and precursor chemical and related matters.
This MOU will reduce drug trafficking in Nepal therby curbing the spillovereffect inindia particularly in North east .
- Agreement on cooperation in the field of standardisation and conformity assessment.
- An MoU was signed between the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India and the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nepal.
Nepal PM Sher Bahadur Deuba Visits Infosys,T-Hub and Taj Falaknuma Palace in Hyderabad.
He visited the famous Gachibowli Infosys campus, T-Hub ( astart up incubator at telangana) ,here he was informed about the steps taken by state govts to promote start ups and he was served royal cuisine at Taj falaknuma hotel. This visit may bring more investments to India
Key issue that poses a threatto India – Nepal relations:
The recent Doklamstand off is troubling Nepal . Raising voices emphasise that Nepal must involve in doklam issue because it is a buffer state to both India and China . Nepal is discussing about this issue in their parliament about taking a balanced approach.
Nepal Capital – Kathmandu
Nepal Currency – Nepalese rupee