Renowned film director and actor Kasinathuni Viswanath will be conferred the Dadasaheb Phalke Award – India’s highest award in cinema.
- The Dadasaheb Phalke Award committee had recommended Kasinathuni Viswanath’s name, which was approved by M. Venkaiah Naidu – Union Information and Broadcasting Minister. The award will be conferred by President Pranab Mukherjee on May 3, 2017 in New Delhi.
Brief Biography of Kasinathuni Viswanath:
Viswanath was born in February 1930 at Gudivada, in current day Andhra Pradesh.He started his career as sound recordist and then gradually moved into film direction.
- Viswanath has directed 53 films in variety of genres. His films are known for strong content, endearing narrative, honest handling and cultural authenticity.
- He has worked in Telugu, Tamil and Hindi Cinema. “Sargam”, “Kaamchor”, “Sanjog”,
“Jaag Utha Insan” and “Eeshwar” are some his memorable Hindi films.
- His Telugu drama film “Swati Mutyam (The White Pearl)” which released in 1986, won national award and was India’s official entry to the Oscar Awards in the Best Foreign Film category in 1987.
- Viswanath has won five National Awards, 20 Nandi Awards (highest award for excellence in Telugu Cinema), and 10 Filmfare Awards including Lifetime Achievement Award.
- He was conferred the Padma Shri in 1992.
About Dadasaheb Phalke Award:
Dhundiraj Govind Phalke (1870-1944), popularly known as Dadasaheb Phalke, was an Indian producer-director-screenwriter and is considered as ‘Father of Indian Cinema’. He was the director of India’s first full-length feature film ‘Raja Harishchandra’, which released in 1913. Dadasaheb Phalke Award was introduced by Govt. of India to commemorate his contribution to Indian cinema.
- Awarded for: “outstanding contribution to the growth and development of Indian cinema”
- Awarded By: Directorate of Film Festivals, set up by Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Govt of India
- Instituted in: 1969
- First Recipient: Devika Rani
- Award components: Swarn Kamal (Golden Lotus) medallion, a cash prize of Rs 10 lakh and a shawl.