King Abdullah II of Jordan was on a three-day official visit to India from February 27, 2018 to March 1, 2018. On March 1, 2018, India and Jordan signed following 12 agreements in New Delhi in presence of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and King Abdullah II of Jordan.
- MoU on Defence Cooperation: This MoU defines the scope of Defence cooperation between India and Jordan and enlists provisions for implementation of cooperation in some of the recognized areas like training; counter-terrorism; defence industry; military studies; military medical services, peace-keeping etc.
- Visa waiver for diplomatic and official passport holders: This agreement will permit diplomats and Official passport holders of India and Jordan to enter, exit and transit through each other’s territory without requirement of visa.
- Cultural Exchange Programme (CEP): For the period 2018-2022, India and Jordan will engage in CEPs in the areas of music and dance; theatre; archaeology; literature, festivals and youth programs.
- Manpower Cooperation Agreement: Objective of this agreement is to enhance collaboration between India and Jordan in promoting best practices in the administration of contractual employment, implementing latest reforms in recruitment processes and enhance the protection and welfare of Indian workers in Jordan.
- MoU for cooperation in the field of Health and Medicine between India and Jordan: This MoU envisages cooperation in the fields of health, medical science, medical education and research. Universal Health Coverage (UHC); Health Research; National Health Statistics; Diagnosis, Treatment and Medication of TB and Regulation of Pharmaceuticals are some of the areas of cooperation listed in this MoU.
- MoU for setting up of the next generation Centre of Excellence (COE) in Jordan: A Centre of Excellence (COE) will be set up in Jordan for training minimum 3000 Jordanian IT professionals over a period of 5 years. Besides, a resource centre will be set up in India for Training of Master trainers in IT field from Jordan.
- MoU for long term supply of Rock Phosphate and Fertilizer/NPK: This MoU will ensure consistent supply of raw material, intermediaries and Phosphatic and Potassic (P&K)fertilizers to India at reasonable prices.
- Customs Mutual Assistance Agreement: This agreement will not only facilitate exchange of relevant information for the prevention and investigation of Customs offences but will also ensure efficient clearance of goods traded between India and Jordan.
- Twining Agreement between Agra and Petra (Jordan): Under this agreement, municipalities of Agra and Petra will jointly work for promotion of social relations through mutual cooperation in tourism, culture, sports and economic sectors.
- Cooperation between Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC) and Jordan Media Institute (JMI): Under this MoU, the two institutes will jointly develop projects and will jointly organise academic activities.
- MoU between Prasar Bharati and Jordan TV: The two entities will cooperate in the fields of exchange and co-production of programs, training of personnel and further coordination.
- MoU between University of Jordan (UJ) and ICCR regarding setting up of a Hindi Chair at the University: The MoU contains guidelines for cooperation between Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) and UJ in establishment and functioning of the ICCR Chair for Hindi language in UJ.
Quick Facts about Jordan:
- Capital – Amman
- Currency – Jordanian dinar
- Ruling Monarch – Abdullah II
- Neighbouring countries – Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Palestine and Syria