On June 12, 2020, The Union Territory (UT) of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) has prepared a J&K Poultry Policy, 2020/Operational Guidelines for the first time to boost poultry production in the region.
Features: The government will give a subsidy of 50 crore annually for broiler/layer farms and related activities. This subsidy will be for the existing poultry industry and new industry. Under the industrial policy in the poultry policy, all central and state schemes will be given benefits.
Policy Outcomes: The implementation of Poultry Policy is expected to yield the following outcomes.
- The policy will provide additional employment opportunities to youth to take up this profession.
- It will reduce the import bill of J&K thus saving around Rs 900 crores that is spent on importing poultry and its products from outside the UT.
- Farmers will get better support prices for their products (eggs and meat) and make the poultry farming sustainable.
- The broiler farms whose capacity will be up to 10, 000 chicks per day will be given a credit of 30% for the plant and other machinery(Farm automation/ equipment), which will be a maximum of 50 lakhs. Units with a capacity of more than 10, 000 will be given 3% interest rebate on the loan.
- 100% of the insurance premium for building, plant and machinery will be refunded to all eligible units setting up the industry.
- In addition, 100% subsidy will be given on the DG(Diesel generator) sets and J&K SIDCO/SICOP [Small Scale Industries Development Corporation Limited] will make land available in the industrial area for this.
Eligibility: All new farmers, Individual entrepreneurs, NGOs, Companies/Cooperatives, Groups of unorganized and organized sectors which include Self Help Groups (SHGs), Joint Liability Groups (JLGs) etc will be eligible to avail assistance for all the components under the scheme.
About Jammu and Kashmir (union territory):
Capitals– Jammu (Winter), Srinagar (Summer)
Lieutenant Governor– Girish Chandra Murmu
Folk dances– Rauf, Hikat, Mandjas, Kud Dandi Nach, Damali