May 22nd 2015, is being observed as International Day for Biological Diversity by United Nations. In India, The Minister of State for Environment, Forest and Climate Change Shri Prakash Javadekar, spoke about the need to work together to conserve biodiversity to ensure the future for the current generation and coming generations.
Theme for 2015: Biodiversity For Sustainable Development .
- As per the Minister, the earth has been borrowed from children and not inherited from the ancestors.
- He also stressed upon the fact that the challenge for India to imbibe and translate the theme of Biodiversity for Sustainable Development.
- International Day for Biological Diversity is celebrated to recognize the role of biodiversity to life on earth and human well being.
- In the year 1992 on May22nd, the text of Convention of Biodiversity was adopted and to commemorate its adoption Biodiversity day is celebrated on May22nd.
- In 2003 the theme was Biodiversity and Poverty Alleviation, in 2004 it was Biodiversity : Food,Water and Health for All .
- In 2005 the theme was Biodiversity : Life Insurance for our Changing World and in 2006 theme is to Protect Biodiversity in Drylands, in 2008 it was Biodiversity and Agriculture.
- All over India this day is being celebrated with major events being held in Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir.
- In the event BIOFIN India project was launched formally.
- Secretary-General of United Nations Ban Ki-moon, spoke on recommiting to global action to reduce the rate of biodiversity loss.
- Reducing deforestation and degradation of lands, enhancing carbon stocks in forests.
- UNDP or United Nations Development Programme in 2012 launched an initiative BIOFIN .
- It is new global partnership seeking to address the biodiversity finance in a manner of building sound business case for increased investment.
- Amount of 15 million US dollars is involved in BIOFIN initiative
- Some countries that took part in BIOFIN 2014 are Chile,Columbia,Botswana, Malaysia,Peru etc.
United Nations or UN
- UN is an inter governmental organisation established on 24th October 1945.
- It has 193 member states and 2 observer states as membership.
- Its headquarters is inNew York City.
- Current Secretary- General isBan Ki-moon.
- In Geneva,Nairobi and Vienna there are offices of UN present.
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification