India has ranked 24th in terms of International Tourist Arrivals (ITA) for 2014 and 2015 as pre revised rankings of World Tourism Barometer by World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO).
Inclusion of arrivals of Non-Resident Indians (NRIs):
It is to be noted that earlier, India ranked 41st and 40th in 2014 and 2015, respectively. However, on inclusion of non- resident Indians among international tourists, India leaped up 16 places to rank at 24th.
- Including arrivals of Non-Resident Indians (NRIs),India’s share in international tourist arrivals (ITA) for 2015 has increased to 1.12% from 0.68% before inclusion.
Travel and Tourism Sector in India:
- This sector generated Rs 14.1 trillion in 2016 which is equivalent to 6% of India’s GDP.
- 3 million Jobs were created in travel and tourism sector of India in 2016.
- Overall, the sector accounts for 3% of total jobs in India.
- For the year 2016, India’s Travel and Tourism sector registered a growth of 8.5% – the fastest amongst G20 countries.
- India ranked 40th on Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Index (TTCI), 2017. This marks a jump of 12 spots as compared to 52nd rank in previous edition of this index, released in 2015.
- Ministry of Tourism, Government of India, administers and regulates the tourism industry in India.
- Mahesh Sharma is the Tourism Minister of State (Independent Charge)
About World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO):
UNWTO is the United Nation’s agency entrusted with the responsibility to promote responsible, sustainable and universally accessible tourism.
- Through its publications such as ‘World Tourism Barometer’, UNWTO serves as a source of information about tourism trends and statistics for its members.
- It was founded in year 1975.
- Headquarters of UNWTO is located in Madrid, Spain.
- Taleb Rifai is the current Secretary-General of UNWTO.
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification