English Questions – Reading Comprehension Set 58
Welcome to Online English Section with explanation in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are creating question sample in Reading comprehension, which is BASED ON Bank EXAMS 2018 !!!
Directions (Q.1-10): Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions given below it. Certain parts are given in bold to answer some of the questions based on the passage.
One of the most important things to notice about the power of art is the way in which great works continue to exert their influence through the ages. Scientific discoveries which are of major importance ath the time they are made are superseded. Thus, Newton’s theory of gravitation has been superseded by Einstein’s theory of relativity. Hence the work of great scientists has value in stages on the way to a goal which supersedes them. Broadly speaking, the achievements of generals, politicians, and statesmen have an importance only in their own time.
Hence these people and their acts, great as they may have been are like milestones which mankind passes on its way to something else. They may be juxtaposed in future but then, only to praise the contemporary work. But with work of art it is not so. The place which they occupy in the estimation of succeeding ages and the power which they exercise over men’s spirit are as great as they were in the age which produced them; indeed, their power tends to increase with time, as they came to be better understood.
- The power of art can be judged through ?
1) Its influence on a few individuals
2) its influence on the people over the years
3) the greatness of great artists
4) the opinion of great thinkers
5) Both 1 and 2
- The statement; “Newton’s theory of gravitation has been superseded by Einstein’s theory of relativity” suggests that
1) the theory of relativity has nothing to do with the theory of gravitation
2) the theory of relativity is new in comparison to the theory of gravitation
3) the theory of relativity is an improvement over the theory of gravitation
4) the theory of relativity has suppressed the theory of gravitation
5) Both 2 and 3
- Which among the following is the MOST SIMILAR in meaning to the word ‘SUPERSEDE’ ?
- The achievements of generals, politicians and statesmen have been compared to milestones because
1) they are inscribed on the milestones
2) they have contemporary relevance
3) they have topical and historical importance
4) people tend to forget those achievements with time
5) they are strong and lasting stones
- According to the author what is correct among the following statements in the context of the passage given ?
1) a work of art has a greater influence on mankind than the scientific ones
2) Newton’s discoveries were inferior than that of Einstein’s
3) achievements by esteemed men are destined to be forgotten
4) Both a and b
5) 1, 2 and 3
- What does the ‘milestones’ refer to in context of the passage ?
1) work of art
2) scientific discoveries by Newton and Einstein
3) Both 1 and 2
4) Achievements of generals, politicians, statesmen etc.
5) 1, 2 and 4
- Why people tend to forget over the ages the great work ?
1) Because it is not in their interests
2) Since they are not relevant in the present time
3) people remember only the influential works
4) any work howsoever great loses it importance with time
5) None of these
- How is a work of art different from the work of a scientist ?
1) a work of art is as permanent as the work of a scientist
2) The influence of a work of art increases from age to age unlike the work of a scientist
3) a work of art has no material value like the work of a scientist
4) a work of art is an expression of creative power while the work of a scientist is not
5) Both 2 and 3
- What is meant by “CONTEMPORARY”
- Whose power tends to increase with time ?
1) Generals, politicians, statesmen
2) men with profound knowledge
3) artistic works
4) Both 1 and 2
5) scientific discoveries