Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
- India and Belarus set a Trade Target of USD 1 Billion by 2018
- Center to give 33 % reservation to women in all para-military forces
Andhra Pradesh launches e-Pragati to bring all government services under one roof
- The Andhra Pradesh State Cabinet approved the launch of AP State Enterprise Architecture (APSEA), e-Pragati, a comprehensive architecture to leverage the latest advances in e-governance tools which will bring all the government services under one roof.
- By this, Andhra Pradesh became the first state in India to execute and conceive state-wide enterprise e-governance architecture.
- e-Pragati has been designed with an estimated investment of 2,358 crore of which the State will share Rs. 1,528 crore over a period of three years. The project is envisaged to be implemented in three phases and set for completion by December 2017.
- The project is aimed at bringing together 745 G2B (government to businesses), G2C (government to citizens), G2E (government to employees) and G2G (government to governments) services offered by 33 departments and more than 300 government agencies. As many as 72 projects of various departments of similar nature such as welfare departments, works departments, land management wings and sectors (tourism, industries and etc.) have been grouped under 14 packages.
- It has been developed in association with Information Technology (IT) giant Wipro.
- The basic objective of e-Pragati will be to provide an integrated ‘One governance’ that will be citizen-centric, transparent and effective.
Govt bans import of Ammonium Nitrate in loose form
- Ministry of Home Affairs have asked Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) not to allow bulk import of Ammonium Nitrate (AN) in loose form on the ground that it poses threat to national security as the chemical is an extremely dangerous explosive substance.
- As per the new directives, ammonium nitrate has to be imported in bagged form only irrespective of quantity in each bag and the consignment has to be packed at the point of origin.
- Furthermore, the Union Home Ministry, in its latest order, has made it mandatory to make provision for two arm guards with GPS system to provide security for vehicles transporting AN inside India.
- To regulate the legitimate use of AN, the central government had introduced AN Rules that came into force in 2013, with primary focus on security and safety concerns in the country.
- In earlier, domestic manufacturers such as Rashtriya Chemicals, GSFC and Deepak Fertilizers raised their objections as cheaper imports would have severely impacted their business. So this move will be a major relief for them and also for the security agencies.
Cabinet increases DA by 6% for central govt employees, pensioners
- The Union Cabinet approved a proposal to increase dearness allowance by 6%, for central government employees and pensioners.
- The new DA would be 119% from 113% earlier, and would benefit more than 1 crore central government employees. It would be effective from July 1.
- The increase in dearness allowance, or a pay correction to employees to adjust the rising cost of living expenses, would help the broader economy too.
- The increase comes during the festive season, and the additional money could spur consumer spending, at a time when the economy is slowing down, with lower sales of cellphones to cars. This could in turn boost the government’s tax collections as well.
IAF to hold ‘Ultra Marathon’ to mark 50th year of 1965 war
- Indian Air Force is organising an ‘Ultra Marathon’ from Air Force Station Pathankot to Air Force Station Hindon covering a distance of around 574 km over a period of 11 days to mark the golden jubilee of the 1965 Indo-Pak war.
First-ever Census on India’s Leopard presented
- The first ever Leopard census in India conducted alongside tiger census of last year. The census had been taken around tiger habitants across the country except the North-East.
- Yaduvedradev V Jhala, the lead scientist of the tiger census, who presents the Leopard census at Wildlife Institute of India’s annual research seminar in Dehradun last week, said “There are leopards outside the areas we covered. Based on these numbers, we estimate India’s total leopard population to be in the range of 12,000 to 14,000”.
Haryana Government bans gutka, pan masala
- Haryana government has announced the ban on gutka, panmasala and other products that are containing tobacco. Manufacturing and sales of all tobacco products has been completely banned in the state.
- Health Minister, Anil Vij said, “The manufacturing ,storage, distribution and sale of gutka, panmasala flavoured or scented tobacco, kharra and other similar products completely banned .Other products containing tobacco which are available in market are also included in it”.
- The ban also includes mix of other ingredients such as heavy metals and anti-caking agents, except to the extent of specifically permitted ingredients.
Banking & Finance
Sahara India’s para-banking license scrapped by RBI
- In a fresh setback to the beleaguered Sahara India Pariwar, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has cancelled the license of its holding company Sahara India Financial Corporation Limited (SIFCL).
- The action has been taken by the department of non-banking supervision of the RBI, in Kanpur. The move comes in wake of several irregularities and ignoring financial rules and regulations by Sahara, an official further informed.
- The notice cancelling its license to conduction financial business has been sent to the Kapurthala head quarter of the Sahara India.
Reliance Defence In Pact With UAE’s ADSB For Naval Ship Manufacturing
- Anil Ambani-led Reliance Defence Ltd (RDL) has signed an MoU with Abu Dhabi Ship Building to set up a strategic partnership for construction of naval ships, including frigates and destroyers to address the demands of Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), over the next 10 years.
- RDL is a fully owned subsidiary of Reliance Infrastructure Ltd while Abu Dhabi Ship Building (ADSB) is a leading provider of construction, repair and refit services for naval, military and commercial vessels.
- Under this MoU, RDL and ADSB are investigating the opportunity to set up a strategic partnership for the construction of naval ships – including frigates, destroyers and other specialized vessels to address the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) over the next 10 years.
Doha Bank ties up with Anil Ambani’s Reliance Group
- Doha Bank has tied up with Anil Ambani-led Reliance Group to generate business opportunities in the Gulf Cooperation Council nations and India.
- Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Bahrain and Oman are part of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC).
- Doha Bank and Reliance ADA Group have entered into an alliance to create new opportunities for cooperation and innovation in terms of business development across the GCC and India.
- MoU is envisaged to provide tangible business opportunities and further prospects for expansion for Doha Bank and Reliance Group.
DRDO appoints J Manjula as its first woman Director General
- Manjula becomes the first woman chief of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- Majnula has been appointed as the director general for DRDO’s electronics and communications systems cluster.
- Prior to this appointment, she used to head the Defence Avionics Research Establishment (DARE) since July 2014, and was the first woman to head DARE.
- She is an alumnus of Osmania University and a practising Electronics and Communications engineer.
- She joined DRDO in 1987.
- She has worked with the Integrated Electronic Warfare cluster of DRDO’s Defence Electronics Research Laboratory, (DLRL) Hyderabad, for 26 years.
- Fast signal acquisition receivers, high power RF systems, responsive jammers and controller softwares designed by Manjula have been in use in the Army, Navy, Air Force and Paramilitary.
- She is a specialist in configuration of Communication and Radar ESM and ECM systems.
- She has also received DRDO’s ‘Scientist of the Year 2011‘ and ‘Performance Excellence’ awards.
Acquisitions & Mergers
JSW Energy to buy Jaypee Group’s Bina thermal power plant
- Mumbai based JSW Energy has signed an agreement with Jaiprakash Power Ventures Ltd of the Jaypee group to acquire 100% stake in 500MW Bina Thermal power plant for Rs.3500 crore which is located in Sagar, Madhya Pradesh.
- JSW Energy, one of the few power companies in India that have a healthy balance sheet. Currently JSW Energy has a Capacity of 3140MW power plant and another 8630MW of capacity is under development.
- Last year also JSW Energy signed an agreement with Jaypee group to acquire two hydro power plants for Rs.9700 Crore
JSW Energy Founder :Sajjan Jindal
Veteran Australian keeper Brad Haddin retires
- The 37 year old Australian Wicketkeeper, Brad Haddin has announced his retirement from International cricket.
- He joins Shane Watson, Michael Clarke, Chris Rogers who are all announced their retirement from International Cricket since losing 2015 Ashes tour.
- He retired from ODI internationals after playing in Australia’s world cup final win. His first international debut in ODI was 2001 against Zimbabwe. However he is expected to play T20 cricket for Sydney Sixers.