Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will helpful in upcoming exam.
- Beno Zephine became first 100% blind officer in IFS
- BSNL to set up 40,000 WiFi hot spots across India
- Centre to come up with agriculture income insurance scheme
Cabinet approves ‘Housing For All by 2022’ scheme
- Cabinet approved the ‘Housing for All by 2022’ programme for slum rehabilitation in urban areas. Cabinet also approved a substantial increase in interest relief on loan for the urban poor to promote affordable homes.
- The cabinet also accepted to increase interest subvention to 6.50 per cent on housing loans to beneficiaries belonging to economic weaker section (EWS) including slum- dwellers and low income groups (LIGs).
World Bank funded sanitation project launched in Punjab
- World Bank funded sanitation project worth Rs 2,200 crore is launched by Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal.
- The aim of this project is to improve the water and sanitation services in the state.
- CM said the focus of the new project is to provide a toilet and water connection in all the households within next three years (2015-2018).
Northern Command celebrates 44th Raising day in Udhampur
- The Northern Command of Indian Army celebrated its 44th Raising Day today in Udhampur.
- Northern Command is popularly known as “Dhruva Command” and its chief is its chief Lt Gen DS Hooda.
- At a solemn ceremony at Udhampur-based Dhruva War Memorial, Lt Gen Hooda, paid homage to the martyrs
- who have sacrificed their lives in the service of the nation.
V IT Park gets platinum rating
- The V IT Park by Ascendas located within HITEC City, Hyderabad has been awarded platinum rating by the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC).
- The platinum rating has been given on achieving all prerequisites under five environmental categories namely site and facility management, water efficiency, energy efficiency, health & comfort and innovation.
GADL, OAMC sign deal on Salalah airport transfer
- GMR Airport Developer Limited (GADL) has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Oman Airport Management Company (OAMC) under which it would provide services ranging from programme management, testing and commissioning of airport systems to development of aeronautical and non-aeronautical revenue streams.
- This deal will help Oman Airport authorities in the smooth take over of the new terminal at the Salalah International Airport.
India rejects Kazakh offer for Abai oil field
- ONGC Videsh Ltd has rejected Kazakisthan’s offer of an alternative mid-sized Abai oil block in Caspian Sea.
- OVL, the overseas arm of state explorer Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) has studied the field data and found it not attractive enough.
- In 2013 Kazakhstan had blocked OVL’s USD 5 billion deal to buy an 8.4 per cent stake in the Kashagan oilfield.
Japan lowers voting age to 18
- Japan passed legislation to lower the voting age to 18 from 20 years allowing teenagers to vote for the first time.
- About 2.4 million 18 and 19 year old people are expected to cast their first votes in the upper house election which will be held in 2016.
Banking & Finance
Science & Technology
ISRO’s GAGAN to provide navigational support to Railways
- ‘GAGAN’ (GPS-Aided Geo-Augmented Navigation) system developed by ISRO will provide navigational support to Railways.
- ISRO will provide satellite-generated information which will provide safety at unmanned level crossings.
- About GAGAN
• GAGAN is indigenously developed navigational system developed by ISRO similar to GPS system of US.
• GAGAN was jointly developed by the ISRO and Airports Authority of India (AAI) to provide assistance in accurate landing of aircraft.
• GAGAN signal is broadcasted by two Geostationary Earth Orbit (GEO) satellites — GSAT8 and GSAT10.
Brazil beats Senegal 5-0 to reach U20 WC final
- Brazil thrashed Senegal by 5-0 to reach finals of Under-20 World Cup.
- Brazil will face the winner of the second semi-final between Serbia and Mali in the finals.
Two Indians at U.S. Open
- Two Indian golfers Anirban Lahiri and Shiv Kapur will play at the prestigious U.S. Open for the first time at the Chambers Bay course, Washington.
Sunil Chhetri became first Indian footballer to score 50 international goals
- Sunil Chhetri became the first Indian footballer to score 50 international goals. He achieved the fete during India’s second match of the second round of qualifiers for 2018 football World Cup qualifying group match against Guam at the Guam National Football Stadium.
- In the match, Guam defeated India 2-1. Earlier, India lost their first match of the group 1-2 against Oman.
- List of International goals scored by Indian footballer
• Sunil Chhetri: 50 goals in 87 matches
• Bhaichung Bhutia: 42 goals in 107 matches
• IM Vijayan: 40 goals from 79 games
AIBA constituted Ad-hoc committee chaired by Kishan Narsi for boxing in India
- The International Boxing Association (AIBA) on 16 June 2015 constituted a five-member ad-hoc committee to manage the process of finding a group to organise and run boxing in India.
- Kishan Narsi, an international referee who officiated in four Olympics was appointed as the Chairman of the committee.
- He has been the Vice-Chairman of Executive Committee of AIBA.
- Other members of the committee include Jay Kowli, Manisha Malhotra and Injeti Srinivas. The fifth member of the committee will be appointed by AIBA on the recommendation of the ad hoc committee and would be a national coach.
Architect Charles Correa passes away
- India’s well known architect and urban planner, Charles Correa, passed away. He was 84.
- Correa was winner of several national and international awards. He was also known for adapting his designs to local climates and building styles.
- He was the chief architect of Navi Mumbai, the satellite suburb of Mumbai.
- He was honoured with the Padma Shri in 1972 and Padma Vibhushan in 2006.
Former Turkish President Suleyman Demirel dies
- Former Turkish President Suleyman Demirel has died. He was 90.
- Demirel, who was popularly known as “Baba” or “Dad”, served as Prime Minister seven times through the 1960s to the 1990s and was President from 1993 to 2000.