Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will helpful in upcoming exam.
India to attend Donors’ Conference in Nepal
- A high level ministerial delegation will go to Kathmandu on June 25 to attend Donors’ Conference.
- The conference has set up a $2-billion fund for reconstruction and rebuilding of the earthquake hit Nepal. The preliminary estimates indicating that the costs could be five times higher.
Tamil Nadu and Adani Power Ltd signed PPA to set up 200 MW solar power plant in Ramanathapuram
- Tamil Nadu Government and Adani Power Ltd signed a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) to set up a 200 MW solar power plant in Ramanathapuram district.
- The plant will be constructed with an investment of nearly 1400 crore rupees
BHEL commissions Shrinagar hydroelectric project in Uttarakhand
- State-owned power equipment maker Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd (BHEL) today said it has commissioned a 82.5 megawatt unit at the Shrinagar Hydro Electric Project in Uttarakhand.
- African leaders signed 26 nation Tripartite Free Trade Area TFTA agreement
- US becomes biggest oil producer in 2014, surpasses Saudi Arabia
Appointments & Resigns
Prof S Bandyopadhayay appointed as Director of Indian Statistical Institute (ISI)
- Prof Sanghmitra Bandyopadhayay was appointed as the Director of Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) by the Union Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MOSPI).
- She is the first woman to lead the institute and replaced Dr Bimal K Roy who was removed on charges of indiscipline.
Pawan Kumar Sain appointed PS to MoS I&B
- Pawan Kumar Sain, a 2005 batch IAS officer has been appointed as Private Secretary to Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore. He has been has been appointed for a period of five years or on co-terminus basis with the Minister’s tenure.
Twitter’s Dick Costolo to step down as CEO
- Twitter’s CEO, Dick Costolo has resigned because of increasing scrutiny of the company’s slow user growth and inability to attract advertisers at the same rate as its competitors.
- Co-founder Jack Dorsey will replace him on interim basis. He had served as Twitter’s president and CEO from May 2007 to October 2008.
BlackBerry India MD Sunil Lalvani quits
- Sunil Lavani head of BlackBerry India has quit the company. He was the Managing Director and has left the company to explore the opportunities outside BlackBerry.
- He was working with BlackBerry India since 2009 and was heading its enterprise business before being promoted to Managing Director post.
C.S Verma steps down as SAIL CMD
- Steel Authority of India CMD C S Verma has completed his tenure. Meanwhile, Rakesh Singh, Steel Secretary has assumed the charge.
- Mr Verma was appointed as CMD of SAIL in 2010 by the UPA government. His tenure could have been extended by the NDA government denied it.
Banking & Finance
Indian Piracy Survivor Chirag Bahiri Won Award For his Efforts To Rescue Victims
- Indian maritime expert Chirag Bahiri has won prestigious Dr Dierk Lindemann Welfare Personality of the Year Award for his efforts in rescuing and supporting victims of piracy on the high seas.
- Bahiri who is a survivor of maritime piracy, was among the five individuals shortlisted for the prize. He is regional director for South Asia of the Maritime Piracy Humanitarian Response Programme (MPHRP).
Sangeet Natak Akademi fellowships, awards for 2014 announced
- Sangeet Natak Akademi fellowships for the year 2014 has been announced. The chosen ones are Musicologist S R Janakiraman, filmmaker M S Sathyu, Indian classical singer Vijay Kichlu and musician Tulsidas Borkar.
- This award was decided by the General Council of ‘Sangeet Natak Akademi’, also known as the National Academy of Music, Dance and Drama.
N Srinivasan re-elected as TNCA President
- Former BCCI chief and current ICC Chairman N Srinivasan was unanimously re-elected President of the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association in its 85th Annual General Meeting Friday.
- Srinivasan, who was forced to step aside from BCCI President’s post and later withdraw from a possible re-election, has been elected in the TNCA for a one-year term.
- The other office-bearers took charge include Kasi Viswanathan as Secretary and Vice-Presidents including K S Aghoram, U Prabhakar Rao, P S Raman.
Dracula’ star Christopher Lee dies at the age of 93
- Legendary actor Sir Christopher Lee has died at the age of 93 due to respiratory problems and heart failure.
- He was best known for roles including Dracula and Saruman in the Lord of the Rings franchise.
- He was knighted in 2009 for services to drama and charity, and was awarded the Bafta fellowship in 2011.
Nek Chand, Creator of Chandigarh’s Rock Garden, Dies at 90
- Nek Chand who created world famous Rock Garden of Chandigarh died at the age of 90.
- He created sculptures from discarded materials in a garden by clearing a forest patch near Sukhna Lake. The garden was inaugurated as a public space in 1976.
- The Rock Garden is now acknowledged as one of the modern wonders of the world and receives over 5,000 visitors each day.
- Nek Chand made best out waste by using materials like broken glass, bangles, crockery, mosaic and iron-foundry slag.
- He was awarded the Padma Shri in 1984.
Oliver! actor Ron Moody dies aged 91
- Actor Ron Moody, who played Fagin in the hit film version of Oliver!, has died aged 91
- The British character actor was nominated for an Oscar and won a Golden Globe for his performance in the 1968 Charles Dickens adaptation.
Big-Band leader James Last passes away at 86
- James Last, the German-born big-band leader, has passed away in Florida, at the age of 86.
- The composer sold more than 100 million albums worldwide by translating popular hits into a big band sound, branded Happy Music.