Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will helpful in upcoming exam.
Pakistan Holds Legislative Assembly Elections in Gilgit-Baltistan
- Despite of objections by India, Pakistan holds legislative assembly elections in Gilgit-Baltistan.
- India reacted against the elections and said it is an attempt by Pakistan to camouflage its forcible and illegal occupation of the regions which are integral part of the country.
NCR gets bigger; Jind, Karnal and Muzaffarnagar districts added
- The sprawl of the National Capital Region (NCR) just got bigger as the nod has been given for the inclusion of Muzaffarnagar district of Uttar Pradesh and the Jind and Karnal districts of Haryana as part of the conurbation.
- Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu announced the decision for including the three districts in NCR after chairing a meeting today of the National Capital Region Planning Board (NCRPB) here.
- Naidu said that a committee has been appointed to look into the demands for the inclusion of more areas in NCR.
- The Union minister said that before including any area, the view of the particular state government will also have to be taken.
- Haryana Chief Minister Khattar said that with the inclusion of Jind and Karnal in NCR, 57 per cent of the state’s area had become part of the entity.
Kapil Mishra to Succeed Jitender Tomar as Delhi’s Law Minister
- Delhi Jal Board vice chairman Kapil Mishra will succeed Jitender Tomar as Delhi’s law minister. A letter has been sent to the president in this regard.
- Mr Tomar had stepped down on Tuesday after being arrested over allegations that he had faked his law degree.
- Mr Mishra, the legislator from northeast Delhi’s Karawal Nagar, was placed in the crucial Jal Board to help realise the Aam Aadmi Party’s election promise of providing cheap water to Delhiites.
IT Bellwether Wipro Wins Award
- Indian IT bellwether Wipro has won the Best Outsourcing Thought Leadership Award for 2015 from a US based leading institute.
- The business process leadership awards the Wall Street technology innovation showcases the most innovative work from providers’ across the outsourcing industry
Naveen Srivastava appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Kingdom of Cambodia.
- Naveen Srivastava (lFS: 1993), presently Consul General of India in Shanghai, has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Kingdom of Cambodia.
- He is expected to take up his assignment shortly.
Sajeev Babu Kurup appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Guatemala
- Shri Sajeev Babu Kurup presently Counsellor, Bogota has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Guatemala.
Rahul Chhabra appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Hungary
- Shri Rahul Chhabra (lFS: 1987) presently Joint Secretary, has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Hungary.
Banking & Finance
Cairn India to Merge with Vedanta
- Vedanta group led by Anil Agrawal plans to merge Cairn India Ltd with Vedanta Ltd. The purpose of this merger is to help ease the group’s debt.
- The merger will help cut Vedanta’s Rs. 37,636 crore gross debt by using Rs.16,870 crore cash lying with Cairn as well as over Rs. 14,000 crore of cash the firm generates every year.
- Cairn India is an oil and gas exploration and production company and Vedanta Ltd is a metals and mining company.
Padmasree Warrior Steps Down As CISCO CTO
- India-born Padmasree Warrior stepped down from her post of Chief Technology Officer at global IT giant CISCO after a significant restructuring of top management under incoming CEO Chuck Robbins
- She is one of Silicon Valley’s high-profile female executives. She was ranked 84th in this year’s Forbes list of 100 Most Powerful Women in the world.
- She will now move into a strategic advisor role effective immediately and will stay on in this new role through the transition until September, said Cisco.
India to tour Zimbabwe next month
- Indian cricket team will tour Zimbabwe to play three ODIs and two Twenty20s in July. Indian team will arrive on Harare on 7 July after the ongoing tour of Bangladesh.
- Last time India toured Zimbabwe in July 2013 and comfortably won the five-match ODI series 5-0.
Former Test cricketer Hemant Kanitkar no more
- Former Test cricketer Hemant Kanitkar from Maharashta died at his residence in Pune. Hemant Kanitkar who was a batsman played two tests for India in home series against West Indies in 1974-75.
- He had a first class career of 15-years.
Spiritual leader Sivananda Murthy dead
- Noted spiritualist Sadguru Kandukuru Sivananda Murthy who was 87 passed away.
- He has huge following among Telugu people around the world.
- He was awarded honorary doctorate by the Andhra University in recognition of his services.