During the 34th Annual International Space Development Conference held at Toronto,Canada recently,Indian Space and Research Organisation ISRO was given Space Pioneer Award in the Science and Technology field as according to website statement. National Space Society NSS of USA pesented this award to ISRO, for its stupendous efforts in accomplishing Mars Mission .
- On 24th September 2014, India placed its low cost Mars spacecraft in orbit around Mars in the first attempt itself.
- By this India joins other three Russia, Europe,USA in successfully undertaking its mission to Mars.
- On 5th November 2013,ISRO spacecraft was launched on a home grown PSLV rocket from Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh, escape earths gravitational field on 1st December 2013.
About Space Pioneer Award
- It consists of silvery pewter Moon globe cast by Baker Art Foundry in Placervilla,California. The sculpture was originally made by Don Davis, a famous space and astronomical artist.
- The space research organisation said that Mars Orbiter Spacecraft MOM is under solar conjunction at Mars that extends till 1st July.
- Spacecraft orbiting Mars is behind the sun as seen from the planet Earth.
- The communication signals from spacecraft are severely interrupted by the Suns corona or outer atmosphere as a result of the event and this happens once in 2.2 years for Mars.
Conjunction of Mars Orbiter Spacecraft
- The Conjunction for Mars Orbiter Spacecraft began on May27 2015 and extend till 1st July 2015.
- Telemetry or spacecraft health related information is recorded and no commands are transmitted to spacecraft for the purpose of security reasons.
- Spacecrafts scientific instruments operations are also shelved.
- In March, spacecrafts life was extended for another six months due to excess fuel.
- According to ISRO statement, team MOM had skilfully handled the scientific,technical,managerial and financial aspectsof the mission and MOM has lasted beyond the ”Prime” mission life of 6 months in Mars orbit and delivers scientifically important data sets
- ISRO is a space agency of Indian government.
- Mian objective is to advance space technology and use its applications for national benefits.
- Established on 15th August 1969.
- Headquarters is in Bengaluru,India.
- Present Chairman is AS. Kiran Kumar.